The Student Room Group

Is it better to do a 3 year BSc for Computer Science or a 4 year MSci/MEng?

I'm looking at university currently and I have come to a point where I have to narrow my choices down. I have stumbled upon many courses that interest me, however I'm not sure whether I should be doing a 3 year or 4 year course, and which one would be better if it was 4 years (MSci or MEng). I want to do a general computer science course (i.e. no "computer science and maths" for example), with the hope of eventually going into game development. My AS results were A in maths, A in further maths and B in physics, so I'm aiming high and I'm definitely expecting high As for A2 (especially as the B was in physics and so it doesn't matter).

Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SpaghettiGuy1337
I'm looking at university currently and I have come to a point where I have to narrow my choices down. I have stumbled upon many courses that interest me, however I'm not sure whether I should be doing a 3 year or 4 year course, and which one would be better if it was 4 years (MSci or MEng). I want to do a general computer science course (i.e. no "computer science and maths" for example), with the hope of eventually going into game development. My AS results were A in maths, A in further maths and B in physics, so I'm aiming high and I'm definitely expecting high As for A2 (especially as the B was in physics and so it doesn't matter).

Thanks in advance!

I think there is little difference between an MSci and an MEng. Many universities let you switch from a 3 year course to a 4 year one if you do well in your first year (or alternatively after you get your offer/results). All will let you switch from the 4 year to the 3 year, so if the entry requirements are equal you should always apply for the 4 year (that also guarantees you will have student finance funding for the whole course).
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think there is little difference between an MSci and an MEng. Many universities let you switch from a 3 year course to a 4 year one if you do well in your first year (or alternatively after you get your offer/results). All will let you switch from the 4 year to the 3 year, so if the entry requirements are equal you should always apply for the 4 year (that also guarantees you will have student finance funding for the whole course).

Alright, thanks a bunch.
Reply 4
It'd probably be more beneficial to spend an extra year doing an industrial placement.
Reply 5
I'm starting a 4 year MSci CompSci course next year. The reason I chose it was that it gave me an extra year of experience and learning to explore what - I hope you'll agree - is a very interesting subject! :tongue:
When I went to an open day at Bristol, a student there said lots of people are getting Masters in CompSci now so it helps career-wise to do one, but I don't know how true this is.
I guess I mainly figured that it was a year extra of work to learn some cool stuff, get another qualification and have something else to put on my CV. :smile:
If you do the 4year, doesn't it restrict you to do the masters at that university rather than potentially switching to a more 'prestigious' one?
Reply 7
Original post by Aydin7
If you do the 4year, doesn't it restrict you to do the masters at that university rather than potentially switching to a more 'prestigious' one?

Well you could just start at the 'prestigious' one. More importantly, you get to stay funded under student finance which is why I'm doing a 4 year CS degree. Plus the 4th year modules look really interesting, and I'd be very dissatisfied with the level of depth from a 3 year.
Great, thanks guys. That's some very useful stuff. I'm most likely going to try for a 4 year one, as the industrial placement as well as the extra material could prove to be very useful.
Reply 9
Original post by Aydin7

That's why I opted for 4 year industry programme. I could easily use my BSc to put a top name on my cv through a seperate MSc. For me, the need to self fund is well worth the chance of putting a top 3 name on my cv.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending