The Student Room Group

How do you stop yo-yo dieting?

Answers from people who have experienced this would be appreciated. I've gone from starving myself at 11 years old to stress eating at 16/17 years old (now)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

idk how bad it was that i had to look that up but yeah m8, i'm like this. :console: (stress eating) :wink:
I just try to snack less and do more exercise - even if its just pokemon go + grocery shopping and skipping afternoon tea (yep bye bye scones :frown: )
and I'm cooking for myself a lot more as well which helps
but yeah the food intake --> exercise balance
and a balanced diet
I try to eat at least 3 pieces of fruit a day :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Do NOT cut down an entire food group, it's just not sustainable, our bodies are designed to have a balanced diet. Follow a Mediterranean diet and don't cut out anything or limit yourself to 1000 calorie diets
Damn I don't know how to post anonymously!
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Damn I don't know how to post anonymously!

wouldn't worry m8 :hugs:
do not suddenly eat more (or less) than you normally do, it's that simple
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Do NOT cut down an entire food group, it's just not sustainable, our bodies are designed to have a balanced diet. Follow a Mediterranean diet and don't cut out anything or limit yourself to 1000 calorie diets

What's a Mediterranean diet? Lol is this a stupid question
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
wouldn't worry m8 :hugs:

:smile: thanks
Original post by Anonymous
What's a Mediterranean diet? Lol is this a stupid question

No no definitely not a stupid question, it's not some fancy FAD diet or anything, but it's following the diet of what people living in Mediterranean countries eat.

Plenty of starchy foods, such as bread and pasta (preferably brown not white as that's healthier for you)
Plenty of fruit and vegetables
Eating some fishEating less meat
Choosing made from vegetable and plant oils, such as olive oil. Have lots of avocados as well!
So quite common sense stuff really but the aim of it is, eating more of the basics food, less processed food and sugars and more starch, vegetables and oils. So you're not starving yourself and your metabolism is not suffering but your body is getting the nutrition it needs and isn't going into over drive and making you crave junk.
idk how bad it was that i had to look that up but yeah m8, i'm like this. :console: (stress eating) :wink:
I just try to snack less and do more exercise - even if its just pokemon go + grocery shopping and skipping afternoon tea (yep bye bye scones :frown: )
and I'm cooking for myself a lot more as well which helps
but yeah the food intake --> exercise balance
and a balanced diet
I try to eat at least 3 pieces of fruit a day :wink:

Yeah more exercise is needed (again). Last year I exercised SO much (it became addictive) then I suddenly stopped when A-levels overwhelmed me and that's when I started stress eating. A balanced diet is something I think I really need to focus on I'm gradually eating less snacks, I haven't had a cookie and I only had two chocolate bars since July (that's an achievement for me)
Original post by Pinkberry_y
No no definitely not a stupid question, it's not some fancy FAD diet or anything, but it's following the diet of what people living in Mediterranean countries eat.

Plenty of starchy foods, such as bread and pasta (preferably brown not white as that's healthier for you)
Plenty of fruit and vegetables
Eating some fishEating less meat
Choosing made from vegetable and plant oils, such as olive oil. Have lots of avocados as well!
So quite common sense stuff really but the aim of it is, eating more of the basics food, less processed food and sugars and more starch, vegetables and oils. So you're not starving yourself and your metabolism is not suffering but your body is getting the nutrition it needs and isn't going into over drive and making you crave junk.

This is so useful thank you
Yeah more exercise is needed (again). Last year I exercised SO much (it became addictive) then I suddenly stopped when A-levels overwhelmed me and that's when I started stress eating. A balanced diet is something I think I really need to focus on I'm gradually eating less snacks, I haven't had a cookie and I only had two chocolate bars since July (that's an achievement for me)

I feel u man (not about the addictive exercise lol, that's just incomprehensible to me XD) but yeah I stopped doing tennis (i love tennis) for ages cos of AS revision, just got back into it now and yeah that's really the only exercise I do now apart from speed walking to the train every morning and the occasional pokemon hunt :tongue:)
My balanced diet and less (:erm:) snacking (altho I do still snack sometimes :naughty:) has helped me keep my weight down but its still not where i'm at
Its really impressive that you've not had a cookie and only 2 chocci bars :eek4: you should be really proud of yourself!How do you think you can improve your diet? Could u take up cooking? What are your meals like atm? Lets see if I can help :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
This is so useful thank you

No problem. Just please for the sake of your sanity and health put a big black cross through all the Fad diets, they are about as useful for losing weight (or even maintaining) as a cheeseburger
I feel u man (not about the addictive exercise lol, that's just incomprehensible to me XD) but yeah I stopped doing tennis (i love tennis) for ages cos of AS revision, just got back into it now and yeah that's really the only exercise I do now apart from speed walking to the train every morning and the occasional pokemon hunt :tongue:)
My balanced diet and less (:erm:) snacking (altho I do still snack sometimes :naughty:) has helped me keep my weight down but its still not where i'm at
Its really impressive that you've not had a cookie and only 2 chocci bars :eek4: you should be really proud of yourself!How do you think you can improve your diet? Could u take up cooking? What are your meals like atm? Lets see if I can help :wink:

So I'm not the richest person and my family can't afford lavish meals everyday so I go by on meals that consist of rice (white :s-smilie:), pasta, bread, potatoes, pies a lot of carbs basically and I don't know much else :frown:
Don't know why it now goes anonymous :rolleyes:
Answers from people who have experienced this would be appreciated. I've gone from starving myself at 11 years old to stress eating at 16/17 years old (now)

Knowledge and getting to grips with a good understanding of how weight loss works. Once you understand it properly including weight loss, nutrition and exercise, then you cna follow a plan that works for you. Knowledge helps it all make sense, so theres less room for excuses and denial.

A plan should be sustainable and has more to do with small lifestyle changes so you cna lose weight consistently and hen find it ok to keep it off.

You arent old enough yet, but join MFP were you are and the community will teach you or help review your plan. Losing weight is only the first part and maintaining is harder. Try sparkteens.
I cured my eating disorder (binging) by going vegan. Not pushing that on anyone, just sharing my personal experience. I have a healthy, happy baanced diet now.
I yo yo diet. I don't see it as a problem.

I put on weight really easily. If I have a month with a lot on socially and I eat and drink a lot, for example in the summer or Christmas, I can put on 10kg. Then I go on a strict diet and lose it. I would rather do that than try to be steady all of the time because that doesn't fit in with me socially. For me it is not emotional.

Yo yo dieting isn't bad from a health point of view. It hasn't been shown to be significantly worse than maintaining a healthy weight all the time and it is definitely much better than been constantly overweight.

It is only a problem if it is a symptom of an emotional issue and if it is, the only way is to tackle that emotional issue. If you want to stop you have to understand why you stress eat and find other ways of dealing with the stress.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
I yo yo diet. I don't see it as a problem.

I put on weight really easily. If I have a month with a lot on socially and I eat and drink a lot, for example in the summer or Christmas, I can put on 10kg. Then I go on a strict diet and lose it. I would rather do that than try to be steady all of the time because that doesn't fit in with me socially. For me it is not emotional.

Yo yo dieting isn't bad from a health point of view. It hasn't been shown to be significantly worse than maintaining a healthy weight all the time and it is definitely much better than been constantly overweight.

It is only a problem if it is a symptom of an emotional issue and if it is, the only way is to tackle that emotional issue. If you want to stop you have to understand why you stress eat and find other ways of dealing with the stress.

yo yo dieting is definitely seen as a health problem... repeatedly gaining and losing weight fast tends to increase your body fat percentage (because if you lose weight fast you might lose 5lbs fat and 5lbs muscle then you gain the weight but when you gain it you gain 8lbs fat and 2lbs muscle because muscle takes longer)

also how on earth are you gaining 10kg in a month?! that's a huge amount

OP: stopping yoyo dieting is about trying to find a middle ground, so stop focusing on weight for a while and just focus on finding a lifetsyle you are happy with that is also healthy - think about how you can get some physical activity in (do you enjoy swimming? need a 10k race to train for? want to do exercise classes with other people? just want to walk more?) but find something you want to do and won't feel like you have to force it all the time... then try and find ways to make your diet healthier without feeling restricted, so eating brown bread instead of white, having more fruit and veg (esp. for snacks), you can cook some really nice but simple meals which make you feel like you're having a treat when it's actually low calorie (e.g. a really nice salad, a pasta dish with a bit of red wine in the sauce etc), and when you do treat yourself make it worth it! If I want something nice I don't stop myself from getting a bar of chocolate I enjoy but at the same time if someone brings biscuits to work I won't eat 5 just cos they're there because I'm not that bothered about them
Reply 19

Stop saying yo to every burger van and hot dog stall

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending