The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nrana1
I did my UKCAT and got an average of 640, SJT Band 1. There go my dreams of medical school this year :frown:

Not necessarily!! Just maybe look at unis who are not so ukcat heavy
Original post by nrana1
I did my UKCAT and got an average of 640, SJT Band 1. There go my dreams of medical school this year :frown:

Thats not bad. You got Band 1 that will help significantly. Also, if you have great GCSE's you will also have a better chance. If you're still worried maybe try the BMAT too, thats what I'm gonna do, and then apply to those unis
I did my UKCAT a little while ago and im quite disappointed with my results
VR: 540
QR: 710
AR:740
SJT: Band 2
I had my heart set on Edinburgh but i dont think these results will cut it, especially that VR. Any advice on what uni's I'd stand a chance with? I like the idea of Glasgow too but im not sure if I'll get in with these results either. I'm an Irish student who does pretty well in my exams, particularly in english so would this help my bad VR score?
Just finished my UKCAT and i got an average of 700 (VR: 610, QR: 740, AR: 750 and Band 2). I see that im sitting right there on the boundary for UKCAT heavy unis like Newcastle??
Which Unis would be best to apply for??

Also, thank to everyone on this thread!! It was a great source of information! :smile:
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
Ahh thats great well done!
Would you say most of QR was pretty simple? What kinds of calculations came up the most?

For me, the majority of the questions were quite simple with a few multi-step calculations which I guessed and flagged to save time.
(edited 7 years ago)
is 665 a good average? which places should I avoid?
Hey! For the people who have sat the exam this year, with abstract reasoning were there many 'double/triple' patterns like that of medify or were they just one pattern?
Hi
For people who've already done the UKCAT, how did the QR section compare to those on the official site, or for those that did the Kaplan course, the mocks on there?

Thank you in advance
Original post by mithi98
Hi everyone! My exam is next week :frown: I was wondering how easier/harder is the real thing than the official mocks that are on the UKCAT website? and what about the Kaplan mocks? I'm getting around 700 on the official ones and 750 on the Kaplan ones...

Thanks in advance!

Official mocks are definitely harder don't worry! If you're scoring 750 on Kaplan you're doing great
Hey I've got the 1000Q book and I'm thinking of just not using it anymore as it is too challenging. Would be a sensible decision to just use the kaplan book and online practise questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aaliyah2362
Hi
For people who've already done the UKCAT, how did the QR section compare to those on the official site, or for those that did the Kaplan course, the mocks on there?

Thank you in advance

QR was easier than the mocks on the official site. To put it in context, it was my worst section when practising and my best in the real thing.
Hi
What as the makup of VR questions like in real exam? Were there less true/false questions than comprehension?
Original post by Harryedwards8
QR was easier than the mocks on the official site. To put it in context, it was my worst section when practising and my best in the real thing.

It's my worst section aswell and my UKCAT is tomorrow morning. Stressing out about it because I can't seem to get it right no matter how much I practice 😁

Thanks for replying x
It's my worst section aswell and my UKCAT is tomorrow morning. Stressing out about it because I can't seem to get it right no matter how much I practice 😁

Thanks for replying x

Mine is tomorrow morning and I'm averaging 610-630. Completely stressed.
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Mine is tomorrow morning and I'm averaging 610-630. Completely stressed.

Mine is tomorrow too and i've been averaging the same! :frown:
Best of luck!
Good luck! Stay calm and don't let the nerves get to you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying x

Honestly I wouldn't worry if I were you. Hopefully you're the same as I was.

Good luck!
Original post by Elishchambers
Hi guys,

I sat my ukcat today and got an 717 average:

VR 640
QR 900
AR 610
SJT- Band 1
Total 2150

I just wanted to reassure everyone that's freaking out that the QR is easier in the actual exam and using the number pad on the keyboard really speeds you up so it's not so time pressured. AR is harder than medify definitely but I guessed most of them and still got a decent score so don't panic. I revised using medify for 2 weeks so you definitely don't have to go on any of these expensive courses to do well- just do practice questions as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Good luck everyone.

how do you use the number pad on the keyboard, do you have to press a button to enable it to work?
Original post by Elishchambers
No worries. The only thing that was difficult about abstract was that there were lots of overlapping patterns on each set to form one big complex pattern: for example it wasn't just total sides=11, it was total sides=11 and then a fixed number of black shapes or circles etc. From medify, I got used to just looking for one single pattern and teaching myself to not over complicate it, but then it the real exam it was quite complicated and I just didn't have time to find all the patterns. I only managed to find a few partial patterns and then had to guess the rest. Also there were quite a few set A/set B questions that medify didn't have many of so I was a bit thrown by them.

As long as you manage to get a few partial patterns though you should be find, stick to whichever mnemonic you use (I used NSPC) and don't get stressed if you can't find a pattern just take a guess.

what does that NSPC mnemonic stand for?
Original post by gabby1410
how do you use the number pad on the keyboard, do you have to press a button to enable it to work?

make sure num lock is enabled on your keyboard I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending