The Student Room Group

Is a Social Policy degree going to limit my prospects assuming i get a First

Would of rather done politics but had to use clearing
Original post by Mvpmb
Would of rather done politics but had to use clearing

There is no difference in job prospects between Politics and Social Policy. What makes the difference is you- having work experience and making strong applications and doing well at interview. However do make sure you are happy to study social policy for 3 years, you don't have to go to university this year and 3 years is a long time to study something if it wasn't what you really wanted to do.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
There is no difference in job prospects between Politics and Social Policy. What makes the difference is you- having work experience and making strong applications and doing well at interview. However do make sure you are happy to study social policy for 3 years, you don't have to go to university this year and 3 years is a long time to study something if it wasn't what you really wanted to do.

I think Social Policy looks very interesting though, and I am very motivated to get a First in it. I just want to know that if I get a First, I'm not going to be out shined by someone who gets a 2/1 in a standard politics degree.
Reply 3
i would say social policy is better in terms of job prospects as it is more practical, politics, i would imagine, emphasises more on the theory and is more of an 'art/humanities' than a 'social science'
Original post by Mvpmb
I think Social Policy looks very interesting though, and I am very motivated to get a First in it. I just want to know that if I get a First, I'm not going to be out shined by someone who gets a 2/1 in a standard politics degree.

In that case go for it. Whether or not you'd get outshined by someone with a 2:1 in Politics depends on the strength of their job application and CV versus yours.
Reply 5
Make up for it by getting internships but I'm sure you'll be fine
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000

How might it affect my post graduate study prospects? For example, If I wanted to do a masters in something else? Sorry Im just a bit paranoid, I dont want to pidgeon whole my self
Original post by Mvpmb
How might it affect my post graduate study prospects? For example, If I wanted to do a masters in something else? Sorry Im just a bit paranoid, I dont want to pidgeon whole my self

Some university departments are more flexible than others with regards to the undergrad degrees they accept for postgraduate study. E.g. for a Politics Masters, some might say 'must be a related degree' others might say any humanities degree is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending