The Student Room Group

Career Pathways without Degrees

A friend of mine left school with OK A Levels (around BCC) and works in retail right now until they can decide what they want to do.

Thing is, they are not wanting to go into higher education and is instead looking for interesting career pathways. So what interesting, at least semi succesful, careers do you know without a degree?

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Recruitment
Car Sales

What other good sectors are there?
Original post by TrojanH
A friend of mine left school with OK A Levels (around BCC) and works in retail right now until they can decide what they want to do.

Thing is, they are not wanting to go into higher education and is instead looking for interesting career pathways. So what interesting, at least semi succesful, careers do you know without a degree?

Recruitment
Car Sales

Apprenticeships offer a route into a variety of careers, although that does involve more study.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Apprenticeships offer a route into a variety of careers, although that does involve more study.

Like.. what types though.
Original post by jelly1000

All sorts. Engineering, Accounting, Legal Administration, IT, Social Media/Communications, Civil Service, are some of the ones I could find.
Original post by TrojanH

Recruitment
Car Sales

Interesting careers, or careers with good pay?

Because I reckon selling cars and jobs/workers are the dullest jobs out there.

Moneywise, stay in retail and resolve to be the best you can be. Contrary to popular belief, retail can pay very well. The management in top stores can be well into 6 figures.
Basically, he could do anything. The only difference is that it would take him longer to do it.

I plan to become a mental health nurse (no degree). My friend works as a nurse (again no degree) and my father is an engineer (no degree). There's so many alternative ways to do things now.

In my opinion, university is the academic route to those jobs whereas apprenticeships, placements and training are more practical. Same job, same outcome, different way of doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending