The Student Room Group

Is the AS I am dropping going to matter?

I am really freaking scared.

I've got three decent As in AS:
- Maths: 297/300 UMS
- Econ: 118/140 (its a new spec, and they dont use UMS anymore, so its raw - apparently I came no.2 out of 55 people doing econ in our school)
- Politics: 194/200 UMS

However, I got a D in History. It's one mark off a C, but the remark didn't go up.
I really like History but always found it hard, now I'm forced to drop it.

Anyway, since I have to declare it. Does Cambridge mind?? I mean I should be predicted with 3A*, but that D grade is bothering me A LOT.

Anyone studying in Cambridge with a rubbish 4th AS??

I'm planning to study HSPS at Magd if that helps
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by cfang99

- Econ: 118/140 (its a new spec, and they dont use UMS anymore, so its raw)

However, I got a D in History. It's one mark off a C, but the remark didn't go up.

Anyway, since I have to declare it. Does Cambridge mind?? I mean I should be predicted with 3A*, but that D grade is bothering me A LOT.

It won't matter much. Plenty of people with much worse than AAAD at AS end up with offers.
Original post by cfang99
x

Very impressive AS UMS - well done!
Reply 3
Original post by cfang99

- Econ: 118/140 (its a new spec, and they dont use UMS anymore, so its raw)

What are you planning to study at uni?
Reply 4
Original post by Rajive
What are you planning to study at uni?

IR (with quant where possible) elsewhere, but HSPS at Cambridge
Reply 5
I'm doing the same subjects! I had been studying history and my teacher was going to help me 1-1 since i couldn't do it on timetable but I've also dropped it now because 1 year isn't enough time to do 3/4 of the a level. As much I love history and think everyone should do it, you've given it a try and putting your energy towards those 3 subjects seems like the logically approach. Or else you'll be spending time trying to catch up with history jeprodisring your other grades which is exactly why I also made the tough decision not to go ahead with it next year :frown: your UMS grades are excellent!
Reply 6
Original post by zayn008
I'm doing the same subjects! I had been studying history and my teacher was going to help me 1-1 since i couldn't do it on timetable but I've also dropped it now because 1 year isn't enough time to do 3/4 of the a level. As much I love history and think everyone should do it, you've given it a try and putting your energy towards those 3 subjects seems like the logically approach. Or else you'll be spending time trying to catch up with history jeprodisring your other grades which is exactly why I also made the tough decision not to go ahead with it next year :frown: your UMS grades are excellent!

Thanks. Yeah, History AS is impossible to finish in a year, it should count as 2 AS haha!
Ermmm...someone I know did suggest to me retaking AS History next year but not continue at A2, but my history teacher thinks it's a waste of time.
And since my history teacher went to cambridge, i trust that she knows more.
It's a shame that I have to drop history though :frown:
I know every fact before the exam, but i can never write it in a coherent essay with a sound argument.
Reply 7
Original post by cfang99
Thanks. Yeah, History AS is impossible to finish in a year, it should count as 2 AS haha!
Ermmm...someone I know did suggest to me retaking AS History next year but not continue at A2, but my history teacher thinks it's a waste of time.
And since my history teacher went to cambridge, i trust that she knows more.
It's a shame that I have to drop history though :frown:
I know every fact before the exam, but i can never write it in a coherent essay with a sound argument.

I meant the entire a level :tongue: i was asking my history teacher for ages if I could do it 1-1 since our school aren't doing it this year and it's timetabled at another school which clashed with politics. So I would've done the whole a level next year but with my other subjects and stuff it seemed quite impossible especially since I'm already self-teaching economics. Oh are you doing the old spec? You should do the new spec! You wouldn't be in this position since you do half the AS & A2 for a AS and at year 2 you do the whole thing ofc but it's focused on the latter years which is great for modern Britain, you wouldn't have to worry so much about the pre-thatcher stuff. If you're doing AQA modern Britain for A2 you must go ahead it's amazing! I've studied it even though now I won't be doing the A-level lol

That's quite strange because you managed the essay arguments in politics and I'm guessing they were amazing by your UMS, I would've struggled the same though. I love history but I hate how we're examined for it with super long essays, they need to add a multiple choice section at the front like economics tbh!!
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
I meant the entire a level :tongue: i was asking my history teacher for ages if I could do it 1-1 since our school aren't doing it this year and it's timetabled at another school which clashed with politics. So I would've done the whole a level next year but with my other subjects and stuff it seemed quite impossible especially since I'm already self-teaching economics. Oh are you doing the old spec? You should do the new spec! You wouldn't be in this position since you do half the AS & A2 for a AS and at year 2 you do the whole thing ofc but it's focused on the latter years which is great for modern Britain, you wouldn't have to worry so much about the pre-thatcher stuff. If you're doing AQA modern Britain for A2 you must go ahead it's amazing! I've studied it even though now I won't be doing the A-level lol

That's quite strange because you managed the essay arguments in politics and I'm guessing they were amazing by your UMS, I would've struggled the same though. I love history but I hate how we're examined for it with super long essays, they need to add a multiple choice section at the front like economics tbh!!

Nah, we are doing the new spec (and hereby expressing my gratitudes to Edexcel). And our school forces us to take all AS regardless of whether its new or old, the funny thing is that we're the last year to take AS! It's probably best for me though, I tend to do better in ACTUAL exams.

And no, our school's A2 course is in british parliametary democracy - suffrage and all that.

I've always been quite good with current affairs and stuff and I think politics questions tend to be more repetitive(?) And, just to contradict myself, I actually don't enjoy the multiple choice questions in Econ. I guess I only like essays when I can predict what roughly I'm going to write lol

Btw, self-studying Econ?! WOW!!
Reply 9
Original post by cfang99
Nah, we are doing the new spec (and hereby expressing my gratitudes to Edexcel). And our school forces us to take all AS regardless of whether its new or old, the funny thing is that we're the last year to take AS! It's probably best for me though, I tend to do better in ACTUAL exams.

And no, our school's A2 course is in british parliametary democracy - suffrage and all that.

I've always been quite good with current affairs and stuff and I think politics questions tend to be more repetitive(?) And, just to contradict myself, I actually don't enjoy the multiple choice questions in Econ. I guess I only like essays when I can predict what roughly I'm going to write lol

Btw, self-studying Econ?! WOW!!

Edexcel?? Yikes I had a look at their topics once and it was just awful… like the way they put it together, there's no bigger picture.. although British parliamentary democracy does seem okay but if you had a look at The Making of Moderm Britain I think you'd love it, the politics in it is all so relevant today and it goes up to 2007 so you study the previous labour government too. I like the AS exams, it's like a checkpoint to make sure you're doing okay... sure you could do a mock but it just isn't the same because you don't go through that exam pressure which I kind of like

That's quite true, plus it's all linked together in some way honestly don't even know how I got an A, biggest suprise this year lol

The economics multiple choice questions are so easy though! I love the follow up questions too but you're right, essays where you have a clear direction are fun it's just a shame when you get an essay you enjoy you usually run out of time. That happened to me in Eco with the 2008 crisis question. Yeah I started in January and managed to get an A, no where near your raw mark though, if you self-study Eco it's actually quite enjoyable. I loved linking it with history and learnt it in a completely different way to how they teach it at my school.
Reply 10
Original post by zayn008
Edexcel?? Yikes I had a look at their topics once and it was just awful… like the way they put it together, there's no bigger picture.. although British parliamentary democracy does seem okay but if you had a look at The Making of Moderm Britain I think you'd love it, the politics in it is all so relevant today and it goes up to 2007 so you study the previous labour government too. I like the AS exams, it's like a checkpoint to make sure you're doing okay... sure you could do a mock but it just isn't the same because you don't go through that exam pressure which I kind of like

That's quite true, plus it's all linked together in some way honestly don't even know how I got an A, biggest suprise this year lol

The economics multiple choice questions are so easy though! I love the follow up questions too but you're right, essays where you have a clear direction are fun it's just a shame when you get an essay you enjoy you usually run out of time. That happened to me in Eco with the 2008 crisis question. Yeah I started in January and managed to get an A, no where near your raw mark though, if you self-study Eco it's actually quite enjoyable. I loved linking it with history and learnt it in a completely different way to how they teach it at my school.

yeah i dont see the point in going to econ lessons - im not learning. before results day, if there was one subject i had to drop, i guess it would have been econ.

but i guess i cant cope with the exam without help from teachers though....
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending