The Student Room Group

Grades I want vs Grades I'm most probably going to get.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bakedbeans247
I want 13A* but will probably get 12A* 1A...is that good?

no there complete trash

Original post by nobodycarescarla
Just to help you GCSE people out
At GCSE i got 1A* 7A 2B 1C
Then BBBC at AS (all Bs one mark off an A!)
Uni offers from AAA to BBB

So basically getting a C at GCSE or 'only one' A* will not stop you getting into AAA unis (top unis and russel groups) Even Oxford will consider someone with 1A* at GCSE - trust me

So chill.

'consider'-not even close
Original post by OHamdy
Can I just start by saying how much I appreciate your response: Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. My goal is to study Law at Kings College London, I have relevant work experience and I am attending their Law Pre-University Course this summer. I won't be sitting any A-Levels, instead I ll be doing IB. If I score these GCSE grades, extremely high score in IB 39+/45, have outstanding extra circular activities that show I am well rounded; sports teams (including international competitions, taken part in multiple charitable events, student council representative in school, Model United Nations specifically the International Court of Justice where I served as Advocate, International Duke of Edinburg (Bronze, Gold but not silver).

Do I stand a fighting chance? I am an international student.

No problem! And, I say you do stand a fighting chance but it depends on you working extremely, extremely hard. The expectation for international students is a bit higher, and London universities are quite competitive. However, all of your university choices are good and you stand a chance of getting into all of them from what I have seen.

All I'd say is work hard, and do a LOT of research. You'll end up wherever is right for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attachment not found
image.jpg
Original post by theBranicAc
no there complete trash

'consider'-not even close

I retweeted this on Twitter last year and this person's cousin achieved 4 B's, 4 C's and 2 D's at GCSE and is now doing Medicine at CAMBRIDGE!!
Plus it's important to notice here that this person also got an 'UNCONDITIONAL' offer as well. This tells me that just because you didn't do well at GCSE, it doesn't mean you won't do well at A Levels and not be able to go to a prestigious uni. This person proved it wrong and is an example that anything is possible.He/she was well determined and motivated so they must have achieved the A*s at A Level to get on to a competitive course like Medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Workangel_24
Attachment not found
image.jpg

I retweeted this on Twitter last year and this person's cousin achieved 4 B's, 4 C's and 2 D's at GCSE and is now doing Medicine at CAMBRIDGE!!
Plus it's important to notice here that this person also got an 'UNCONDITIONAL' offer as well. This tells me that just because you didn't do well at GCSE, it doesn't mean you won't do well at A Levels and not be able to go to a prestigious uni. This person proved it wrong and is an example that anything is possible.He/she was well determined and motivated so they must have achieved the A*s at A Level to get on to a competitive course like Medicine.

btw when i said that there were complete trash i wasn't being serious, like how can 12a*s not be good?

alright fair enough, but your chances of going to a prestigious university will be much higher if you did well at gcse then if you didnt. And thing like that are rare, especially with people getting more a*'s on average
Original post by theBranicAc
alright fair enough, but your chances of going to a prestigious university will be much higher if you did well at gcse then if you didnt. And thing like that are rare, especially with people getting more a*'s on average

The chances aren't higher, if you do well at GCSE but crap AS results you're at a disadvantage to someone who got mediocre GCSE grades but good AS results.
Original post by jamestg
The chances aren't higher, if you do well at GCSE but crap AS results you're at a disadvantage to someone who got mediocre GCSE grades but good AS results.

yes i understand that becuase a levels are abit more important than gcse, but the thing is more people are getting good a level and gcse grades and not a level
Original post by DatSmartGuy
I could give you a BBC. :smug: jk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This just went from 0 to 100 real quick...
A and A* targets in all and I failed every one :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Grades i want
English Language- A
English Lit- A
Biology- A
ChemistryA
History A
Pe-A
Maths-B
Physics -B

Grades ill Probably get
English Language- B
Lit-B
Chem-A
Biology-B
Physics-C
Pe-A
history-B
maths-B
Honestly don't see why anyone gives a s*** about what they get at GCSEs. I got 7bs at GCSE and am hoping (and predicted) for 3As at A-level. GCSEs are irrelevant past getting into college with the required C at GCSE english and maths.
Original post by OHamdy
Grades I want:

English Lang B
English Lit A
Business A
ICT A*
French B
History A*
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 A
Maths A*

3A*s 5As 2Bs

What I ll probably get:

English Lang C
English Lit A
Business B (Maybe an A)
ICT A
French D (Maybe a C)
History A
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A (Maybe a B if the grade boundaries are incredibly high)
Science Unit 3 C
Maths B

5As 2Bs 2Cs 1D

Are they good enough to study Law at a top university? Wished I revised earlier instead of the morning of the exam.

GCSEs are irrelevant as to whether you'll be able to study law at a top university. AS levels are pretty much irrelevant too, all that counts is how well you perform at A2 level. I got 7Bs and a C at GCSEs and there's no way in hell that's going to stop me getting into a Russell group university, they predicted me 4Cs at AS level at the start of the year, i'm hoping for 90%+ in two of my subjects and Bs in the other two. AS levels are easy for people actually listen to the teacher, didn't even revise for anything bar maths.

Tldr; no one cares how you did in some easy exams no one revises for 3-4 years ago.
Reply 131
Original post by lw8
GCSEs are irrelevant as to whether you'll be able to study law at a top university. AS levels are pretty much irrelevant too, all that counts is how well you perform at A2 level. I got 7Bs and a C at GCSEs and there's no way in hell that's going to stop me getting into a Russell group university, they predicted me 4Cs at AS level at the start of the year, i'm hoping for 90%+ in two of my subjects and Bs in the other two. AS levels are easy for people actually listen to the teacher, didn't even revise for anything bar maths.

Tldr; no one cares how you did in some easy exams no one revises for 3-4 years ago.

Thank you
Expectations:

English Lang: B
English Lit: C
Maths: A*
Triple Science: A*
Drama: B
Economics: B
Spanish: B
BTEC IT: M

Reality:

English Lang: B
English Lit: C
Maths: A
Triple Science: A*
Drama: B
Economics: C
Spanish: C
BTEC IT: P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahhn9
Grades I want:
English language A
English literature B
Maths A
Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A
History A
Citizenship A
Textiles A
Urdu C
Btec p.e Distinction*

Grades I'll probably get:
English language B
English literature C
Maths A
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics A
History A
Citizenship B
Textiles B
Urdu D
Btec p.e Distinction*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi:smile: Since we did the same subjects for GCSE, what did you end up getting?

What I will most likely get:

Biology - A

Chemistry - A*

Computing - A/A* (relying on the CAs)

English Language - B

English Literature - B (ran out of time for OMAM (too much time on AIC), no idea how Macbeth and P&P went)

French - A (couldn't understand a thing in the Listening)

History - A/B (only got an A in the CA and made up everything in the exams)

Maths - A*

Physics - A (what on earth was going on in P2/P3??)

Spanish - A (ruined my chances in that oral exam)

2A*, 5A, 3B

shows how off your predictions can be sometimes :lol:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Grades I want:
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
English Language: A*
English Literature: A*
Further Maths: A^
Geography: A*
German: A*
PE: B
Physics: A*
RS: A*

1A^, 9A*, 1B

What I'm probably going to get:
English Language: A*
English Literature: A
Further Maths: A*
Geography: A
PE: C
RS: A

7A*, 3A, 1C

I wasn't actually that far off!

English Language: B
English Literature: B
PE: D

7A*, 1A, 2B, 1D
I wasn't actually that far off!

English Language: B
English Literature: B
PE: D

7A*, 1A, 2B, 1D

Hi Im going to be in Year 11 this month but struggle with Physics (I got a D in the mock but aiming for A*) and RS (I got a B but aiming for A*). How did you manage to get an A* in physics and A in RS?
Original post by daniella.14
Hi Im going to be in Year 11 this month but struggle with Physics (I got a D in the mock but aiming for A*) and RS (I got a B but aiming for A*). How did you manage to get an A* in physics and A in RS?

Hi!
For me with physics I had an awful teacher in year 10 so this time last year I was actually not doing that great! However I was really interested in it which made me want to do well, so I focused a lot in lessons which helped MASSIVELY, asking questions if I was unsure and then trying to learn stuff well in lessons so I'd have less to revise. When it came to revision, the CGP guide was an absolute lifesaver - I filled any gaps in my knowledge using it. I also read the specification to the last detail, and made sure I thoroughly knew it all :biggrin:

For RS I was in a similar boat as physics in terms of poor teaching in year 10, but again when I became interested in the subject my aspiration to do well increased. For RS my main revision resource was the specification and then revision guides my teacher provided to work alongside it. I actually ended up making revision cards on Get Revising which I printed off for my friends as we were all a bit wary of the RS exams - which they all said helped them loads!

Good luck for this year, I'm sure you'll do really well :h:
Hi!
For me with physics I had an awful teacher in year 10 so this time last year I was actually not doing that great! However I was really interested in it which made me want to do well, so I focused a lot in lessons which helped MASSIVELY, asking questions if I was unsure and then trying to learn stuff well in lessons so I'd have less to revise. When it came to revision, the CGP guide was an absolute lifesaver - I filled any gaps in my knowledge using it. I also read the specification to the last detail, and made sure I thoroughly knew it all :biggrin:

For RS I was in a similar boat as physics in terms of poor teaching in year 10, but again when I became interested in the subject my aspiration to do well increased. For RS my main revision resource was the specification and then revision guides my teacher provided to work alongside it. I actually ended up making revision cards on Get Revising which I printed off for my friends as we were all a bit wary of the RS exams - which they all said helped them loads!

Good luck for this year, I'm sure you'll do really well :h:

I have another question. I am aiming for straight A*s and would like to know when to start revising. I like to start revising early cuz I dont like last minute revision. I have made all the notes for all my subjects this summer so that I dont waste time in Year 11 making notes. Also, do you have any final tips to help me achieve straight A*s. Thanks:smile:
Original post by daniella.14
I have another question. I am aiming for straight A*s and would like to know when to start revising. I like to start revising early cuz I dont like last minute revision. I have made all the notes for all my subjects this summer so that I dont waste time in Year 11 making notes. Also, do you have any final tips to help me achieve straight A*s. Thanks:smile:

Wow good luck! I'd say if you want to start early then February half term is a good time to do so, however when you start revising early there's always the risk you might forget things by exam time. By Easter you should be in full swing. That's dedication, although I can't imagine you've truly learnt all the content at this stage? I think the secret to getting lots of A*s is proper exam technique, developed through doing plenty of past papers (so so important!!) and make sure youve got all your content learnt by Easter. Good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest