The Student Room Group

Brexiters how will you react when we have a recession?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by intelligent con
When we trigger article 50 which will destroy our economy will you still support leaving the EU despite its catastrophic consequences? I'm guessing most of you will just blame immigrants for stealing your job.

1. If there is a recession and leaving the EU has all the terrible consequences that were predicted by pro-remainers, Brexiters will blame it on the way the exit was handled. They will blame Theresa May, or Boris / Nigel who left so swiftly, Europe itself, or the remainers who weren't on board following the result, or the international community for 'panicking', etc etc. They won't blame their own decision to leave, or allow that decision to come into question.

2. Similarly, if leaving the EU actually does have benefits, or if at least the terrible things predicted don't actually come true, then the pro-remain camp will not accept that they were wrong. They will see it as a near miss, a potential disaster avoided by those in charge of negotiating the exit.

Basically whatever the consequences are, positive or negative, neither camp is going to get any kind of cathartic satisfaction out of proving the others wrong, because the divisions created by the referendum run so deep that people are fully entrenched on their respective sides and nobody will ever accept that they were wrong.

[...I reckon]
Original post by niteninja1
We won't have a recession.
The treasury says at worst 2% lower gdp

2008 took 12% gdp

The IMF who stated 6% admitted they are wrong also the head of the IMF is currently being prosecuted for corruption.

Also any recession will be offset by revitalised industries

The Great Recession took about 7% from GDP.

The IMF never said 6%, the media took the treasury figure and painted it as 6% because they deducted it from the growth we would otherwise have seen (a stupid way to do it but it suited the narrative).

I voted Brexit but lets not make erroneous statements. If we are win the war (i.e. have Brexit ratified - the referendum was only a battle in that war) then we need to convince people with factual arguments rather than plucked figures.
(edited 7 years ago)
Article 50 is just a formal legal process. It will not have any effect on the economy.

The new information came when the referendum result became clear. Politically, article 50 being triggered is now inevitable so when article 50 is triggered, markets will learn nothing new and won't react to it.

Effects on markets should have already happened since we already know we are leaving the EU. But the effect on financial markets has not been catastrophic by any stretch and though it is still early days in terms of economic data, the data that has come out has been encouraging.
Original post by Ambitious1999
No doubt the Brexiters will blame immigrants and other minorities, they always have done. Since 23rd June and the tiny Brexit 4% majority, Britain has gone back about 50 years. There is a lot more racism, hate crimes, ignorance and bigotry.

I often work with foreign exchange students aged 13-18 in Devon and staff have said there has been a lot more attacks and insults against students this year compared to other years.

I think things like this will get a lot worse if god forbid we ever do leave the EU. Bigoted People saw the tiny Brexit victory as an excuse to rebel against the liberal values brought in by the EU, so we see an increase in racism, homophobia and intolerance.

I think if we leave the EU Britain will become a sad nation of intolerance, selfishness with a feudal hierarchy led by the rich and powerful at the top of the pyramid and the minorities, the poor, the disabled at the bottom. A society where everybody must act the same and fit in. Not a lot different to 1930s Germany or czarist Russian before the revolution. We will become a desperate lone England island steeped in nationalism after Scotland and Northern Ireland have voted independence so they can rejoin the EU and the modern world. Nobody will trade with us and we'll be a broken country.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum.

Congratulations.
When we trigger article 50 which will destroy our economy will you still support leaving the EU despite its catastrophic consequences? I'm guessing most of you will just blame immigrants for stealing your job.

if it a repeat of the last recession
then I'll
buy everyone's gold
melt it down
and buy a used few used car and a property at a discount thanks to the week market
If there's a Brexit recession, what we will see is the venom of the Brexiters targeted at Theresa May and her government. The harsh problem is we have a tough negotiating position and will have to make compromises which will mean some Brexiters think Theresa May has got a very bad deal, depending on what their own priorities were.

Some liberal Conservative Brexiters and Brexiters in the business community prioritise full access to the single market - if they don't get single market access then they will blame any recession on this.

Brexiters in the City are similar to the above but will prioritise keeping passporting of financial services, if they don't get it they will say it's ripped the heart out of one of the leading parts of our economy and will blame any recession on this.

Some right-wing Conservative Brexiters want to be able to scrap employment, health and safety and consumer protection laws and if we have a recession will say it's because the government has kept the protections in place in UK law.

Anti-immigration Brexiters will blame immigrants for the recession because migration will still be very high and there will be lots of chaos over Calais etc. Given Theresa May's record on net migration in the Home Office this will start a movement to oust her from No.10.

Left wing Brexiters will say its the fault of globalisation and capitalism that Brexit was supposedly a protest against, and will call for government to take advantage of being outside the EU to be more protectionist.
Reply 26
Original post by InnerTemple
Excellent question. Here's a guide to being a Brexiter when the proverbial hits the fan:

1) Deny that there's a problem: "This isn't a recession. It's a temporary blip. And we always said this would happen. Anyway, it's a good thing - the economy has been too good too long. This is an overdue re-balancing. All is well"

2) Overhype any positive news: "Ok, the UK is ruined, but look - we just brokered a trade deal with Malawi!"

3) Blame Labour: "They've bloody run the economy into the ground! Gordon Brown should be held to account. And Ed Balls. This is all them."

4) Blame people who voted remain: "Their hearts weren't in leaving the EU and they've let us down. While we had no idea how Brexit would work, we thought that all the experts we've spent ages telling people to ignore might have some ideas. Idiots!"

5) Blame immigrants: "We're still full of foreign looking people.That's where we've gone wrong!"

6) Fearlessly defend Brexit against all odds: "Brexit isn't the problem. It was the solution. But...." (and repeat from step 1)

It's good to see 2 months on you're still very bitter.
Original post by 1010marina
Oh, I doubt many Brexiters will care. But Remainers will over-react, point fingers, shout about how we've ruined the economy.

... And then they'll look daft in five/ten years when the UK economy is stronger than ever.

They look daft now.

You know, I have no issue if someone voted Remain, whatever, but christ the vocal crowd are cringey.

Wearing their ignorance and childish emotions like medals. Whatever, just wish there was a way to impress upon them how little anyone else actually cares for their behaviour and ignorance.

Everyone else either way we voted are getting on with life like adults, they're like the loonbag cult preacher in the town centre. They're loud, we're certainly vaguely aware of their presence, but for the overwhelming part we're ignoring them and subconsciously blocking them out as a sensory irrelevance.

Vocal remainers, go develop some decent opinions informed by facts and wisdom, and when you come back you might have something remotely interesting enough to stop and listen to.
People who voted Brexit knew that the British economy would suffer in the short term -- short term pain for long term gain. No one will be surprised if/when a recession does happen. You'd be surprised to know that a lot of people who voted Brexit didn't do it because 'immigrants are taking out jobs herp derp'
Reply 29
Original post by Naveed-7
There is already a recession in our membership of the EU.
Wages have decreased.

If you think wages will increase after Article 50 then you're in denial..........Do you think the Tory goverment will care about workers rights then dream on
Original post by Ezme39
Are they being more open, or are some being more extreme because it's like their views are validated? I couldn't really call it either way, but I'd say the latter is also involved

I agree. It's like when Hitler was elected in Germany thousands were able to express their opinions against peoples and races they blamed for Germany's historical problems.

Yes they saw the election of Hitler as an open society for anti-semitism and racist beliefs. Prior to Hitler a fair proportion of the German establishment, civil servants, politicians etc were Jewish or pro Jewish so people did not feel free to criticise. Now Hitler made it acceptable to be racist. In the same way bigots see Brexit as an excuse to be racist or at least express their small minded hateful opinions against minorities :frown:

I really don't like what's happening to our country, we seem to be entering a dark period :frown:
Original post by midnightice
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum.

Congratulations.

What's so stupid about it?

If you can't explain why my comment is stupid then your point is invalid!

1) If you're in denial about the increase in racism and bigotry, then google "increase in racism and Brexit"

2) Look at news stories about increase in hate crimes. Eg. Polish man murdered in Harlow recently.

3) If you don't believe we will become a lone England then google Nicola Sturgeons plans for a second Scottish independence referendum in response to the Brexit vote and likelihood that Scotland will leave England so they can rejoin the EU and thus the modern world. (at least Sturgeon believes in democracy unlike May and is giving her people a Second chance.)

4) if you don't believe England will become an increasingly nationalist selfish society on its own then, how do you think it will motivate the minds of its less knowledgable people? By blaming minorities and the less able, including the disabled etc on its problems and struggles to survive on its own. Germany used that mindset in the 1930s.
this thread is tragic
Original post by ambitious1999
no doubt the brexiters will blame immigrants and other minorities, they always have done. Since 23rd june and the tiny brexit 4% majority, britain has gone back about 50 years. There is a lot more racism, hate crimes, ignorance and bigotry. I often work with foreign exchange students aged 13-18 in devon and staff have said there has been a lot more attacks and insults against students this year compared to other years. I think things like this will get a lot worse if god forbid we ever do leave the eu. Bigoted people saw the tiny brexit victory as an excuse to rebel against the liberal values brought in by the eu, so we see an increase in racism, homophobia and intolerance. I think if we leave the eu britain will become a sad nation of intolerance, selfishness with a feudal hierarchy led by the rich and powerful at the top of the pyramid and the minorities, the poor, the disabled at the bottom. A society where everybody must act the same and fit in. not a lot different to 1930s germany or czarist russian before the revolution. We will become a desperate lone england island steeped in nationalism after scotland and northern ireland have voted independence so they can rejoin the eu and the modern world. Nobody will trade with us and we'll be a broken country.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

That has to be the most amazing example of Bremainer logic and why they lost the referendum right there. Your user name includes 1999, I really hope that you are in fact 17, as it would explain such a stupid comment, if not, I fear for your future career prospects with thinking such has that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BaronK
It's good to see 2 months on you're still very bitter.

:toofunny: this
How did everyone react in 2008? That was Brexits fault
Original post by Betelgeuse-
How did everyone react in 2008? That was Brexits fault

That was Trump's fault.
Original post by Sternumator
Article 50 is just a formal legal process. It will not have any effect on the economy.

The new information came when the referendum result became clear. Politically, article 50 being triggered is now inevitable so when article 50 is triggered, markets will learn nothing new and won't react to it.

Effects on markets should have already happened since we already know we are leaving the EU. But the effect on financial markets has not been catastrophic by any stretch and though it is still early days in terms of economic data, the data that has come out has been encouraging.

The referendum was not legally binding meaning the referendum could potentially be completely ignored (highly unlikely of course). However when article 50 is triggered, it would be extremely ignorant of anyone to say the markets won't react. Right now everything is the same, our agreements with EU are still intact so businesses at this moment can continue as usual. But I expect all of them to be preparing for what is to come once article 50 is initiated. During those 2 years are when we will see the markets react.

However I don't think it will all be doom and gloom. It will be difficult but not impossible. Ideally the country decides to remain part of the EU but that possibility is almost 0.

^
People like this are the reason Brexit won.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sternumator

just like unemployment reports from April-June...brainiacs haha.

Quick Reply

Latest