The Student Room Group

If the world is overpopulated

Why don't we allow all these migrants invading our homeland to drown?

It wouldn't even hinder overpopulation at all since they have so many kids they could die in their thousands daily and still be fine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mind4ssassin

It wouldn't even hinder overpopulation at all since they have so many kids they could die in their thousands daily and still be fine

Nah, people who make dumb forum posts can be the first to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't we allow all these migrants invading our homeland to drown? It wouldn't even hinder overpopulation at all since they have so many kids they could die in their thousands daily and still be fine

So, is this what "British Values" are being taught in schools?

I can only assume that by making such a post that you are either drunk, or you are pissed off because you couldn't get hold of your favourite cereal for breakfast this morning and you are looking to blame someone for that and so it's "let's pick on the migrants" day.
They should all be in jail, because most of them, if not all, are illegal.
The thing is OP, you can't just look at it purely in numbers. Each of those lives, those numbers, has value. The humane thing to do is, to, well, not let them drown. :lolwut:
In 2015 there were 1,300,000 migrants trying to find asylum in the EU. They make up 0.000175675676% of the world's population. If we were to heartlessly let them all drown, it wouldn't even put a dent in the world's population anyway.
"Each of those lives have value"
Says who?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
Says who?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you believe that your life has value?
Original post by HarrietRandall

No life has "value". What does that even mean? Humans are purposeless and in no way needed for the continuation of the universe. Our "value" is a social construct, and therefore arbitrary.
Bit of a risk making posts like these isn't it?

You might miss the Jeremy Kyle show...

To me, life doesn't have intrinsic value. I only place value on lives which will serve a benefit to me alive. Just like all other humans. It's just that I don't kid myself into believing that we are some kind of altruistic species. Each human sets different human beings' lives different value. Value isn't something intrinsic like the quantum number of a particle, it' subjective.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't worry, everyone will evolve to be homosexual.
Says who?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone with common decency
In 2015 there were 1,300,000 migrants trying to find asylum in the EU. They make up 0.000175675676% of the world's population.

It's a big planet out there, why should the EU take the strain? I think Europe has done more than enough for the economic migrants.
if tomorrow the world was taken over by a computer program, always looking for the optimum path to survival/advancement..

Yeah, along with many many many other unpopular decisions, many people would be left to die..

As humans though we are (for the most part) incapable of separating our emotions from situations, so for most of us our decision to let them live or die would be based on our feelings, rather then an analysis of benefits/drawbacks.

(for me personally I would never let them die, but I do believe that they should be taken back to the country they departed from, rather then taken into Europe, as a disincentive for others to risk their lives in a similar way)
Because morally it wouldn't be right. Every faceless immigrant that drowns in the sea because of this, quite frankly appalling, solution to over population has a family. A sibling, a parent, maybe a child, a wife, a husband. The immigrant in question could be a child themselves, with their whole future ahead of them where they could've given back to society
Original post by jake4198
No life has "value". What does that even mean? Humans are purposeless and in no way needed for the continuation of the universe. Our "value" is a social construct, and therefore arbitrary.

That's one way to look at it, but ultimately irrelevant.

To me, life doesn't have intrinsic value. I only place value on lives which will serve a benefit to me alive. Just like all other humans. It's just that I don't kid myself into believing that we are some kind of altruistic species. Each human sets different human beings' lives different value. Value isn't something intrinsic like the quantum number of a particle, it' subjective.

Everyone has a part to play in the world, regardless of how glamorous it is. You cannot dictate the value of another person's life because we're all equal. We are, in some parts, an altruistic species because we are capable of supporting those who need help, without major costs to us personally. The way I think of it is, if you put yourself in the position of a disabled person, elderly person or a victim of a crime, you would hope that someone would be kind enough to offer you help, selflessly. So we should offer such support to those who need it, instead of letting this world fall into the cruel hands of selfishness.

Original post by MildredMalone
It's a big planet out there, why should the EU take the strain? I think Europe has done more than enough for the economic migrants.

The EU takes the strain because of regulations set in place by governments across Europe. We have bitten off more than we can chew and are now looking for all kinds of scapegoats to take the responsibility off our hands. Perhaps if we want to stop people coming over here, we should look to improving their lives back home. It sounds too kind and selfless for most, but if they were satisfied with their lives back home, there would be no need for them to move. I overall believe that people moving from peaceful backgrounds, taking advantage of current events for their own personal gain, should not be given the chance to move over here. However, there are many who are fleeing from their homes which have been destroyed by terrorism and war. They deserve shelter.
I wish our world was more 'survival of the fittest' so only the genetic elite could reproduce, and humans would evolve to become incredibly clever and strong
Leaving them to drown wouldn't have a significant impact on world population numbers, but I agree that the world is massively overpopulated. If you wanted to decrease the population significantly then the most effective way would probably be to put chemicals that cause sterilisation into water sources (not saying I support this, I'm just speculating :tongue:).

If our ships are in the vicinity then we probably ought to save them, but we absolutely must stop bringing them back to Europe. After being rescued they should be taken back to whichever country their boat set sail from. It isn't just Europe's responsibility to help everyone, frankly it's quite impossible to do so. Other nations need to pull their weight more. But even if they did, I doubt many migrants would head there for 'safety' since it's pretty clear that they're only seeking sanctuary in Europe for economic gain. If all they were worried about were wars then there are plenty of safe countries much closer to their homeland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending