The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

First year with OU 120 credits?

Hi all, looking for some advise as I'm having trouble getting through to OU helpline.

I'm in Scotland, and had to put off study due to personal reasons a few years ago. I know that at that time, you were only eligible for funding for 60 credits in your first year of study,

I don't work at the moment, and would like to register for 120 credits using a part time fee grant. Does anyone know if this is possible, or is the 60 credit rule for funding still in place?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by OUnewbie
Hi all, looking for some advise as I'm having trouble getting through to OU helpline.

I'm in Scotland, and had to put off study due to personal reasons a few years ago. I know that at that time, you were only eligible for funding for 60 credits in your first year of study,

I don't work at the moment, and would like to register for 120 credits using a part time fee grant. Does anyone know if this is possible, or is the 60 credit rule for funding still in place?

Thanks in advance!

SAAS currently considers "part time" to be 120 credits or less a year, in terms of distance learning. As long as you meet the other criteria, the part time fee grant will cover 120 credits - mine covered the full tuition fees. :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I am studying full time this year. 120 credits funded with a part time student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hububalli
I am studying full time this year. 120 credits funded with a part time student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm also studying 120 credits this year :smile:. What kind of hours are you realistically expecting needs to be set aside for a normal week?
Original post by mouseguard
Yeah I'm also studying 120 credits this year :smile:. What kind of hours are you realistically expecting needs to be set aside for a normal week?

According to all the OU info, 36 hours a week but I am not convinced it will require that much. Maybe at levels 2 and 3. How much time are you giving yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to all the OU info, 36 hours a week but I am not convinced it will require that much. Maybe at levels 2 and 3. How much time are you giving yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly my thought! I have set aside a potential 36 hour week, but definitely don't expect it for year 1. I'm imagining more like in the twenties? What modules are you taking -if you don't mind me asking?
Exactly my thought! I have set aside a potential 36 hour week, but definitely don't expect it for year 1. I'm imagining more like in the twenties? What modules are you taking -if you don't mind me asking?

I think you are right there. This was on a Facebook group today. "Level 1 I studied 2x 6 hour days and read occasionally in the evening, although coming up to assignments that could double" that was for 75 credits so I'm thinking 36 hours is pretty excessive at level.1, even for 120 credits.

She also said "I studied at least 30 hours a week in year 3." Which was for 120 credits. I'm assuming that the workload would be pretty similar from degree to degree.

I am doing a physics pathway so its S111, MU123 in October, then I add MST124 in February. Yourself?
I think you are right there. This was on a Facebook group today. "Level 1 I studied 2x 6 hour days and read occasionally in the evening, although coming up to assignments that could double" that was for 75 credits so I'm thinking 36 hours is pretty excessive at level.1, even for 120 credits.

She also said "I studied at least 30 hours a week in year 3." Which was for 120 credits. I'm assuming that the workload would be pretty similar from degree to degree.

I am doing a physics pathway so its S111, MU123 in October, then I add MST124 in February. Yourself?

Thanks, those stats are really handy!
Cool choice, S111 looks particularly good :smile: I'm on a creativing writing/philosophy pathway, so I start with DE100 [psychology] and AA100 [arts intro]

Did you get many warnings from admin/ OU tutors about the perilous dropout rate of studying full-time? hehe
Cool choice, S111 looks particularly good :smile: I'm on a creativing writing/philosophy pathway, so I start with DE100 [psychology] and AA100 [arts intro]

Did you get many warnings from admin/ OU tutors about the perilous dropout rate of studying full-time? hehe

I warn you that the time commitment for things like Creative Writing may be higher - I found it not quite so time-consuming as the Design & Innovation modules (which were a lot of work) but still something you need to put the hours in if you want to get the best out of it. In particular, absolutely do not skimp time spent on giving feedback on other people's work - I think people often misunderstand this as being something done for those other people, when really it's a key way of developing your own skills.
Original post by Persipan
I warn you that the time commitment for things like Creative Writing may be higher - I found it not quite so time-consuming as the Design & Innovation modules (which were a lot of work) but still something you need to put the hours in if you want to get the best out of it. In particular, absolutely do not skimp time spent on giving feedback on other people's work - I think people often misunderstand this as being something done for those other people, when really it's a key way of developing your own skills.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind :smile:. Did you enjoy the creative writing modules in relativity to your original expectations?

I was quite pleased to read that someone had done it and it took a lot less than what the OU said. I'm fortunate in that I pick stuff up quite quickly so hope I will have to spend a lot less time than I originally planned studying. Although if it takes me 36 a week that's fine too.

Yep, I had all that too. After I said I easily have 36 hours to spare and have no other commitments getting in the way they were pretty happy for me to do it. Are you working while doing the degree? I've taken 3 years off to do it but might do some part time stuff, see how it goes.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind :smile:. Did you enjoy the creative writing modules in relativity to your original expectations?

Well, I enjoyed them enough to sign up for the masters this year, so I think that's a yes!
I was quite pleased to read that someone had done it and it took a lot less than what the OU said. I'm fortunate in that I pick stuff up quite quickly so hope I will have to spend a lot less time than I originally planned studying. Although if it takes me 36 a week that's fine too.

Yep, I had all that too. After I said I easily have 36 hours to spare and have no other commitments getting in the way they were pretty happy for me to do it. Are you working while doing the degree? I've taken 3 years off to do it but might do some part time stuff, see how it goes.

I will be working part-time about 13 hours a week, so I've got an abundance of space plotted out, but likewise I'm keeping all my primary time, energy (and tears) for studying :smile:
Original post by Persipan
Well, I enjoyed them enough to sign up for the masters this year, so I think that's a yes!

Awww I'm so jealous!! What modules are you studying for the masters?
Awww I'm so jealous!! What modules are you studying for the masters?

There are literally only two modules; 'Part 1' and 'Part 2', and you do both for the masters. It involves picking a main genre and doing a bit in another genre too, though; I'm doing fiction as the main one, and I think probably script writing as the secondary one although I'm less sure about that.

Quick Reply

Latest