The Student Room Group

Should I go to the university if I'm not keen on the city?

Basically what the title says, I have a firm offer from a university but I'm not entirely keen on the city, there doesn't seem to be like there's much happening there. I don't know if this should stop me from going but I feel like I may enjoy myself more if I went to a better city...
Reply 1
It's that quality of the university that matters
Depends on the uni tbh and what your options are. Is it the degree thats importnat or is the overall experience just as importnat?
Do you have the option of going elsewhere? its soemthing you just have to decide for yourself.
Campus unis means you dont have to trail into the city much, but if you like city life, then weigh it all up. You go to study though.
Reply 3
I have an offer from Southampton but have kinda changed my mind about it, the course is ok but not as flexible as I'd like it do be. I went to Cardiff on a visit day and the city is 10 X better and the course slightly better, however it would mean having to take a year out and reapply.
I wouldn't. After all, you're living there for at least 3 years.
I went to uni in Aberdeen which is, by all accounts, a pretty dire city. It never ever mattered once I got there though. You were in such a bubble in student life you barely noticed that the city wasn't the nicest or most interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RooshV

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Your time at uni (especially undergrad) are some of the most formative and exciting years of your life, and they can also be some of your most enjoyable years if you spend them in the right city. The university itself is only part of the experience.
Original post by hermitthefrog
I went to uni in Aberdeen which is, by all accounts, a pretty dire city. It never ever mattered once I got there though. You were in such a bubble in student life you barely noticed that the city wasn't the nicest or most interesting.

How is that possible? 'Student life' is defined by the city it takes place in, by the characteristics, bar, pubs, clubs, culture, and facilities of that city.
Original post by RooshV

That's how people end up at LSE then immediately make TSR posts claiming they've messed up.
Original post by 13051997
Basically what the title says, I have a firm offer from a university but I'm not entirely keen on the city, there doesn't seem to be like there's much happening there. I don't know if this should stop me from going but I feel like I may enjoy myself more if I went to a better city...

Hello :biggrin:

Personally for me, I'd say it does matter so what. I wouldn't let it affect your decision too much because if you feel the university and the course is right for you, that's all that matters. That's what you want but it's important to be living somewhere you feel at home and happy - somewhere you feel comfortable.

Others may disagree with me but for me personally, my city had to be homely and I had to feel that I wanted to be there and I do and now class this as my home - therefore, I'd say it's somewhat important but shouldn't affect your decision on the university too harshly.

Good luck :smile:
I have an offer from Southampton but have kinda changed my mind about it, the course is ok but not as flexible as I'd like it do be. I went to Cardiff on a visit day and the city is 10 X better and the course slightly better, however it would mean having to take a year out and reapply.

If youd feel happier at Cardiff. make yourself know to the course organiser and build up some sort of rapport with them so you can improve your chances of an offer. If it were me id take a gap year and earn money which will make uni much easier.

Mist people only get Uni once and you dont want to be thinking whilst at Southampton that you regret not going to Cardiff. A year goes quickly.
Reply 11

Cardiff is awesome. You'll have a good few years if you decide to take a year out and come here next September.

What course is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
If youd feel happier at Cardiff. make yourself know to the course organiser and build up some sort of rapport with them so you can improve your chances of an offer. If it were me id take a gap year and earn money which will make uni much easier.

Mist people only get Uni once and you dont want to be thinking whilst at Southampton that you regret not going to Cardiff. A year goes quickly.

Thank you for the advice! This is what I am seriously considering..however I have already had a gap year, so it would mean taking 2 years out!
Reply 13
Original post by corey01
Cardiff is awesome. You'll have a good few years if you decide to take a year out and come here next September.

What course is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I love Cardiff as a city... I plan on studying Biological Sciences :smile:
Thank you for the advice! This is what I am seriously considering..however I have already had a gap year, so it would mean taking 2 years out!

All the more reason to get it right. Earn money in your gap year. The sky wont fall in. If you are unsure go and visit again. talk to Cardiff and Southampton students. Students at both will think its great. Talk to your parents. You could ofc start Southampton and if you dont like it leave and fo to Cardiff, but that involves an additional years debt.

Quick Reply

Latest