The Student Room Group

aspiring med student! What subjects to do?!!?

Does this makes my application for med school stand out? should I do this subject if I want to be a doctor? 'Health and social care' . I will be doing triple science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Which subject are you talking about?
Reply 2
Original post by The_JoKeR
Which subject are you talking about?

health and social care
Original post by PinkBoy
health and social care

Don't think it'll make much of a difference taking that for GCSE. You just have to make sure you have a high percent of A*'s and do well in core subjects.
So, you're studying what exactly, at what level?

GCSE H+SC, or do you mean A Level?

Biology + Chem plus another any IMO.
Reply 5
Original post by That Bearded Man
So, you're studying what exactly, at what level?

GCSE H+SC, or do you mean A Level?

Biology + Chem plus another any IMO.

GCSE
Don't do health and social care thinking you'll stick out - you won't. I would stick with traditional subjects. Three Sciences + Maths at GCSE are pretty much essential (though you can get away without physics, I would strongly recommend taking it). Then you'll need to do english and some unis ask for a langauge so do that. The rest can be stuff like geography and history.
Reply 7
Original post by Asklepios
Don't do health and social care thinking you'll stick out - you won't. I would stick with traditional subjects. Three Sciences + Maths at GCSE are pretty much essential (though you can get away without physics, I would strongly recommend taking it). Then you'll need to do english and some unis ask for a langauge so do that. The rest can be stuff like geography and history.

Original post by PinkBoy
GCSE

Yeah, in that case it won't really stick out. Grades are the most important thing, so be sure to pick the subjects that you think you'll do best in. I'd encourage you to select "tougher" subjects, so in addition to triple science, something to do with critical analysis (e.g. history) and ensure you do well in Maths too.

Don't pick H+Sc to stand out, if anything I'd expect it to do the opposite, since its seen as a soft GCSE.

Pick your best grades.
Reply 9
Original post by That Bearded Man
Yeah, in that case it won't really stick out. Grades are the most important thing, so be sure to pick the subjects that you think you'll do best in. I'd encourage you to select "tougher" subjects, so in addition to triple science, something to do with critical analysis (e.g. history) and ensure you do well in Maths too.

Don't pick H+Sc to stand out, if anything I'd expect it to do the opposite, since its seen as a soft GCSE.

Pick your best grades.

Thanks guys for helping! :biggrin:
Original post by Asklepios

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest