The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:coma:

Mourinho:“I can take Rooney out. It’s noproblem for me to take him out (from theXI), no problem for him to be out."
So now we can't blame the club or anything for Rooney's continued inclusion. Great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's just getting him up for the City game really
Who cares about build up play when you have #numbers like Rooney's.
Mhikitaryan got injured :frown: then subbed off...

Hopefully nothing too serious, need him for Derby day.
Original post by trapking
Mhikitaryan got injured :frown: then subbed off...

Hopefully nothing too serious, need him for Derby day.

Do we really? He wouldn't have started.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Do we really? He wouldn't have started.

Of course we need him! Based on current form Mhiki and Rashford should start with Mata playing instead of Rooney in #10. Or alternatively you can put Young, Mhiki and Mata then bring on Rashford later into the game....we need pace + someone whose good at making killer passes + someone who can take on players and create chances in the City game.

If we play Rooney anywhere near the first team (which mourinho will probably do FML) we are finished and people shouldn't be surprised if we get thumped 3-1 :lol:

I can't wait it will be a good game...if we choose the right team we can really hurt City.
Lol @ him not starting.
Original post by Rk2k14
Lol @ him not starting.

Right choice for me right now considering Mata's the one that's likely to be replaced. Mata's the better footballer and Mkhi is a better option off the bench.
So happy Basti is still with us btw :love:
Reply 2711
Rooney is starting unless injured.
Right choice for me right now considering Mata's the one that's likely to be replaced. Mata's the better footballer and Mkhi is a better option off the bench.
Nah, we're almost certainly going to be pinned back. Defensive work rate and ability on the counter are going to be key for the attack. We're probably going to have plenty of chances to lose the game and few to win it.

I want Rooney to start anyway. Only way Rooney is exiting this team is the same way he did for SAF, by letting him down in a big game which the manager won't forgive. Tactical and positional indiscipline is what got him dropped by SAF.
Original post by Fizzel
See we have also signed an ex-Atleti scout. Their scouting network is probably one of the best in Europe so should be interesting to see if he's involved with any transfers in the future.

Won't make a difference and actually I'm starting to think all this scouting is a waste of money. Man Utd have no interest in trying to unearth and develop the next big thing (same for all the big English clubs tbh) - instead they are happy for other clubs to take the risk (see clubs like Seville and Porto who do it very well) and then pay over the odds to buy the proven player.
Reply 2714
Yeah. This is going to be one of those games where pace and work rate is 100% needed. I'd even be inclined to start Young if Mkhitaryan isn't fit and put Mata on if you are a goal down.

Mata is not going to get a foothold of the game if the rest of the United players that are not Ibrahimovic is in the defensive third.

Personally Martial is more likely to get dropped at the moment but Mourinho won't drop him as he could be your most important player when he gets it going. He was last season anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Say we went to something like a thread consensus side of:

De Gea
Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw
Herrera, Schneiderlin, Pogba
Mkhitaryan, Ibra, Martial

Are there enough goals there? Ibrahimovic fair enough, but unless Martial goes from a 1 in 3 guy to a 1 in 2 guy, we're looking a little short. As frustrating as Rooney is, play him no.10 for a season and I reckon you get the best part of 20 goals in all comps. I know it looks like he costs us a similar figure with his work outside the box but we'd need to see significant improvement from others for that to be the case. Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying I can understand if Mourinho sticks with Rooney.

I reckon Ibra, Rooney, Martial and Rashford are the only players you could describe as goalscorers in our squad. Think Mourinho will really want to keep Rooney in unless A) Martial really kicks on, or B) Rashford proves he can do it over a whole season (which he probably won't get the chance to do).
Original post by Zerforax
Won't make a difference and actually I'm starting to think all this scouting is a waste of money. Man Utd have no interest in trying to unearth and develop the next big thing (same for all the big English clubs tbh) - instead they are happy for other clubs to take the risk (see clubs like Seville and Porto who do it very well) and then pay over the odds to buy the proven player.
Not sure about that. I mean we aren't developing players but we're all still hoping to sign the next Griezmann. The aim is to sign the WC players without having to pay for them like we did with Pogba, even if we are signing £30-40m players if our scouting network can get them at the club before they become £70m players that we have to fight it out with Real. Wouldn't really describe someone like Bailly as off the shelf, but cheaper and evidently more successful than trying for the likes of Ramos for example.

I agree with Louis. thought, I still feel we are lacking goals in the side. How many of those players are actually going to be break 10 goals this season in the league? Not sure about Rooney though, he's hardly been prolific of late and now he's losing penalty duties too. Obviously risky but I've felt from the start we need to ensure Zlatan has the service. He can return 20 goals this season but only if he's the focal point.
If you're picking a best XI for us, Rashford right now is one of the first names on the teamsheet, no questions asked.

Also no idea what Schneiderlin and Herrera have done to be in our best XI, probably the two midfielders I'd put at the bottom of a list when looking at our current first team midfielders.
Original post by Fizzel

I agree with Louis. thought, I still feel we are lacking goals in the side. How many of those players are actually going to be break 10 goals this season in the league? Not sure about Rooney though, he's hardly been prolific of late and now he's losing penalty duties too. Obviously risky but I've felt from the start we need to ensure Zlatan has the service. He can return 20 goals this season but only if he's the focal point.

No pens for Rooney but it doesn't look like he'll be playing CM either. For all his flaws I think his positioning in the box is good enough to get a decent amount of goals, as long as Ibrahimovic continues to hog the attention of defenders.

I don't think we're too far off. If we can keep them all fit I reckon 'par' seasons (league only) would look something like this for our goalscorers:

Ibrahimovic ~20
Martial ~15
Rooney ~13
Rashford ~10

If you say, with a good defensive record (which we'd hope to have under Mourinho), you can win the league with 70-80 goals, then with the above figures you'd think we'd get there with the goals Mkhitaryan/Mata/Pogba and the rest should contribute. I'm hoping our attack will look more cohesive as Pogba settles in and we hopefully get an injection of pace on the RW.

Biggest danger I think is if old man Zlatan fades as the season goes on. We're already so reliant on him.

If you're picking a best XI for us, Rashford right now is one of the first names on the teamsheet, no questions asked.

Also no idea what Schneiderlin and Herrera have done to be in our best XI, probably the two midfielders I'd put at the bottom of a list when looking at our current first team midfielders.

Thread consensus (which you refuse to conform to :fuhrer:smile: mixed with Mourinho realism.
Reply 2719
Mata has goals in him, so does Mkhitaryan.

I think you have enough attacking quality in the side to take Rooney out and still have a decent goal return. Plus under Mourinho you're not going to be scoring a lot of goals anyway.

Latest