The Student Room Group

Remark or not? GCSE AQA English Language

I got 50 raw marks and I need 53 for A*. Do marks usually go up in remarks for English or should I just not risk it?
Reply 1
I got one mark off a B in English Lang but I'm not going to bother. There's no point because it's an insult to the examiners; they're the professionals. I got an A in English Lit so not too arsed tbh
Reply 2
Original post by CR7_
I got one mark off a B in English Lang but I'm not going to bother. There's no point because it's an insult to the examiners; they're the professionals. I got an A in English Lit so not too arsed tbh

How do you know how many marks you need for a B? In total for the whole englaihclanguage exam not just the individual units?
Reply 3
Original post by millya
How do you know how many marks you need for a B? In total for the whole englaihclanguage exam not just the individual units?

Find the spec and the UMS boundaries on there. They don't change. The UMS marks are under Mark Equivalent on your results slip. I actually got a B on the exam and a C on the coursework.
Reply 4
Original post by CR7_
Find the spec and the UMS boundaries on there. They don't change. The UMS marks are under Mark Equivalent on your results slip. I actually got a B on the exam and a C on the coursework.

Thank you
My son just got his back and it went up by 11 marks! saving him from a resit!
Original post by cakemaker

Was that AQA or Edexcel? A great result :smile:
Just realised I was 2 marks off an A*:frown:
Original post by Porridgefluff
Was that AQA or Edexcel? A great result :smile:

AQA
Edexcel physics went down 2 but grade remained

wow! Great news for him :h: This has given me some hope for my History remark! :smile:
Original post by CR7_
There's no point because it's an insult to the examiners; they're the professionals

You do know that most examiners are paid per question they mark. They're just trying to mark as quickly as possible without being flagged for marking too many questions wrong. Half of them are junior-level teachers needing extra cash and the other half aren't even teachers. You literally need to go to a one-day induction session to be a "professional" examiner, and most of that day is just spent teaching people how to use the system.

Imagine it's your first year as an examiner and you have no idea how to mark someones answer (which may very well be worth full marks). Are you going to skip and flag the question for a superior to mark and not get paid or are you going to just give an average/middling mark, which won't get you into any trouble since a middling mark isnt far off any possible mark and get paid for it. The choice really is obvious.

And now with the changes to how remarks work, the system gets even worse. Now a grade can only be changed if the original examiner's mark could only be changed if it was unreasonable. In other words, they'll only change your grade if the mark difference is far off. They say this is to improve consistency, but this is utter bs. All this is, is the exam boards trying to mitigate a propaganda disaster with how many people applying for retakes are getting a higher grade.

So rather than dealing with the cause, they're just dealing with the statistics. Pretty similar to the USSR building the Berlin wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

That's good to hear. Can I ask what his english language grade is now?
Original post by Turquoise01
That's good to hear. Can I ask what his english language grade is now?

He was 1 mark short of C and would have had to retake, so +11 moves him well into C which he is very happy with.
Reply 13
I just got my English language remarked because it was 1 UMS point off an A (239/240) and it just stayed exactly the same. Makes me wonder if they even reviewed the mark at all to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest