The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medicapplicant
Hey i might apply this year
GCSE: 5A* 3A 1B 1C(TECH)
UKCAT:740 AVG

i know i have weak gcse's for kings but would my ukcat be enough to compensate, do you think i have a good chance for an interview?

No offence but what even is the point of asking this? Your GCSE grades are very good as long as the C and B aren't in English/Maths/Sciences, and you smashed your UKCAT. Of course you're within a shot for an interview.
Original post by Neokirax0
Hey ! :smile:

For those who are not from UK , where do you come from ? :smile:

Finland :smile: what about you? (assuming you're from somewhere else too)
Original post by StationToStation
Finland :smile: what about you? (assuming you're from somewhere else too)

France :biggrin:

I am applying for the graduate entry course for 2017 entry and you ?
France :biggrin:

I am applying for the graduate entry course for 2017 entry and you ?

Oooh that's so cool, I love France! I'm just applying for the normal one, for 2017 entry. :tongue:
Hey ! :smile:

For those who are not from UK , where do you come from ? :smile:

I'm from Pakistan
I found the FAQ for Kings for anyone who's interested. I thought it was quite the interesting read:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=156e14a87ca73675&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

Looks like as long as you've got about 670+ your UKCAT should be fine. Never knew SJT was used in the selection process!
Reply 46
Original post by studentsixth
I found the FAQ for Kings for anyone who's interested. I thought it was quite the interesting read:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=156e14a87ca73675&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

Looks like as long as you've got about 670+ your UKCAT should be fine. Never knew SJT was used in the selection process!

I can't open it :frown:

I think this is it: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/images/assets/A100%20FAQs%202013.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

Essentially that but with a few more pieces of information in it. I think the UKCAT section has a little more information so I'll try put it up somehow.

image.png
Essentially that but with a few more pieces of information in it. I think the UKCAT section has a little more information so I'll try put it up somehow.

image.png

Is it okay if you post the rest of the FAQ? Thanks
Reply 49

image.png

That's great, I can apply to kings then
image.png
Original post by ASTK98
Is it okay if you post the rest of the FAQ? Thanks

My pleasure!

image.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)

My pleasure!

This was so nice of you! Thank you :-)
Reply 52
9A* 1A at GCSE
ABBB at AS - very disappointing
AAA prediction for A2
680 avg, band 3 ukcat (do kings use sjt when considering applicants?)
relevant work experience and volounterring, some extra curricular and lots of leadership roles, do i have a chance of getting in to med at kings?
Original post by AccountAtL
To all those people with a ukcat lower than 700, I got into King's undergrad (I start in September) with a ukcat of 688, so it can be done if the rest of your application is strong. My advice is to call admission departments so you know exactly how they rank applicants. Just wanted to say as I nearly didn't apply because after reading last year's thread (everyone said you needed 700+) I thought my score would rule me out. Best of luck!

What was the rest of your application like, if I may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by agahaga
9A* 1A at GCSE
ABBB at AS - very disappointing
AAA prediction for A2
680 avg, band 3 ukcat (do kings use sjt when considering applicants?)
relevant work experience and volounterring, some extra curricular and lots of leadership roles, do i have a chance of getting in to med at kings?

They do look at SJT, I've posted their FAQ on this a few posts above if you're interested! But the rest of your stats look good.
My Stats are as follows:
GCSE - 9A*s and 2As
AS levels - AABB
Predicted grades for A2 - Either A*AA or AAA
UKCAT - 700 avg Band 2

Does anyone know if ALL the applicants who meet the requirements will be interviewed or if there is a particular rank up till which they will shortlist people?
Original post by kiwifruit99
My Stats are as follows:
GCSE - 9A*s and 2As
AS levels - AABB
Predicted grades for A2 - Either A*AA or AAA
UKCAT - 700 avg Band 2

Does anyone know if ALL the applicants who meet the requirements will be interviewed or if there is a particular rank up till which they will shortlist people?

No, because if they interview everyone who meets the requirements then they'll be interviewing about 99% of the applicants. I know it sounds harsh but they'll pick the best out of the bunch; those with good AS/predicted grades, a good UKCAT score and a good personal statement + reference. But you're in a very good position anyway so as long as you write a strong personal statement you should be fine honestly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
hey guys, i have extremely weak GCSEs- 4A*s 2As and 5Bs
i also have a really weak ukcat score- average of 610 and band 1 in sjt
my AS grades were decent- 4As so i'm looking at a prediction of 3A*s by the end of A2
do you guys reckon that it is worth applying to kings with these stats? if not, which universities should i apply to, to maximize my chance of getting accepted?
Original post by loocnhoj
hey guys, i have extremely weak GCSEs- 4A*s 2As and 5Bs
i also have a really weak ukcat score- average of 610 and band 1 in sjt
my AS grades were decent- 4As so i'm looking at a prediction of 3A*s by the end of A2
do you guys reckon that it is worth applying to kings with these stats? if not, which universities should i apply to, to maximize my chance of getting accepted?

Definitely apply to Kings, especially if you get 3A* prediction. Your GCSE grades aren't weak btw, they're just not *amazing*. UKCAT score could be an issue but then again they interviewed someone with a score of 612 so... If your heart's set on Kings then go for it IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by ASTK98
Definitely apply to Kings, especially if you get 3A* prediction. Your GCSE grades aren't weak btw, they're just not *amazing*. UKCAT score could be an issue but then again they interviewed someone with a score of 612 so... If your heart's set on Kings then go for it IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, your calm words gives me a glimmer of hope. Do you know any uni that does not place a lot of emphasis on the ukcat i.e no cutoff score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending