The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Hey guys, did my test today and got:

VR: 740
QR: 740
AR: 700

I've been getting from 633-685ish in mocks (in official and medify), very happy!
To be honest I felt like I didnt do my best in any of the sections and still got that - I think the marking system is far nicer in the real exam :smile:
Original post by Mickeytate
Thanks ASTK. Might be worth mentioning im applying for graduate entry. Do you know if this will make a difference?

Possibly, although I'm not entirely sure so I don't want to give you false information. Best thing to do would be emailing the universities you're considering and ask them, IMO.
Original post by ASTK98
760 is a very good score, well done. I'm not sure why people who get above 700 as an average worry about their score - I've known friends who've got offers from medical school with scores varying between 630-680. Yes, someone actually got into med school with 630 as an average. So don't stress it, your score is great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not at all worried about the 760, I'm very happy with that, but I'm a bit disappointed with the Band 2, I'm not sure how much importance universities place on SJT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrewszk
Hello everyone,

I'm currently exactly a week away from taking my UKCAT but I've run into a bit of a wall in terms of my practice. I've exhausted all the official practice questions as well as the 600 questions book I borrowed from my library (I know its out of date but I couldnt afford to buy the newer version. I dont know what else to do since I'm still terrible at most sections so desperate atm.

I wanted to know if anyone had a few spare days left on their Medify account after they've taken their test and would be willing to let me use it. I know this is pretty shady but Im desperate and my parents arent willing to spend more money on this test than what it cost to register.

If all else fails, any more recommendations of free practice questions (especially AR and QR) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

you can use mine, my test is tomorrow and i have like 18 days left.. private message me
how much do you guys think it is possible to improve my VR score by? My test is on Monday and i've been getting 650-750's. Hoping this will make up for my poor QR (550-650) but not sure if i should keep going with intensive VR as opposed to doing more AR as my scores haven't really changed much :/
Original post by Dohaeris
Hey guys, just got done with my UKCAT with an average of 760 but only Band 2 in SJT. Will this disadvantage my application or restrict any uni choices?

If you're interested, I got 700, 830, and 750 in Verbal, Quantitative and Abstract reasoning.

How did you get that?? :O my UKCAT is in just under two weeks and I've used about three different books plus medify. At the moment, I seem to have improved but it depends on when I do it, for example I perform better in the evening at 8 and on some days I do better. Have you got any advice how to get a good score?
I got 596 on Medify Mock 2! UKCAT in a few days! Does anybody have any advice!! I'm desperate!!

VR 550
QR 670
AR 570

SJT Band 2
How do you convert the UKCAT official mock paper scores into the scaled scores?
Original post by Heisenberg___
Hey guys so I just did my ukcat and got:
VR 580
QR 890
AR 680
SJT Band 1

Throughout all my practice I was averaging below mid 650 (even averaged 570 once lol). For those with upcoming tests fret not, the actual test is so much easier than the practice mocks. Just make sure you go in feeling confident!

Well done, if possible, could you give any tips for scoring a band 1 on the SJT and did you just use medify or other resources too ?

Thank you.
Original post by greenowl99
How do you convert the UKCAT official mock paper scores into the scaled scores?

The best way to convert is to divide your score by the total score, multiply by 600 and then add 300.
Okay thanks! Just to check it would be like doing for verbal reasoning:
30/44 * 600+ 300 = 709?
Original post by nitashaaxx
Hey everyone, averaged 640 with Band 2 in SJT on UKCAT today
VR: 650
Q: 680
AR: 590 (well excuse you)

Any help on where to apply with this low score? KCL and QM deff outta the window D:

Also does anyone know where places like Manchester, Barts, Bristol and Birmingham stand on UKCAT heaviness (i.e cut-offs for interview places)

Any help is much appreciated :smile:

I got into Barts with a ukcat average of 637.5, a high UCAS tariff can balance out a lower ukcat score with Barts.On the Barts website you can find last years admission statistics which could help give you an idea of what kind of UCAS tariff you need
Original post by greenowl99
Okay thanks! Just to check it would be like doing for verbal reasoning:
30/44 * 600+ 300 = 709?

Yes that's right!
Well, despite all my worries, having done the test today I am very pleased with my result:
TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2
VR-740
QR-720
AR-650
Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? Could I still apply to Manchester and Glasgow???

I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Well, despite all my worries, having done the test today I am very pleased with my result:
TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2
VR-740
QR-720
AR-650
Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? Could I still apply to Manchester and Glasgow???

I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.

Wow well done! Is the VR just as hard as everyone is saying? And how similar is the modify AR to the actual AR?
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Wow well done! Is the VR just as hard as everyone is saying? And how similar is the modify AR to the actual AR?

To be honest I thought the VR was the best section for me. I'd been getting around 650 in it in the medify mocks and got 740 in the real thing. The biggest thing for me that helped with VR was looking for keywords or phrases. I had 2 minutes at the end purely because I had guessed at and skipped the passages I found hardest to initially interpret.
I felt medify gives you a good idea of the AR section. Its probably as difficult in the real thing. Once you spot a pattern, stick to it. Remember to Flag, Guess and Move on with this section too. :smile:
Original post by Medici103
Hi, I'm applying for grad entry too. You will most likely want to avoid Kings, Southampton, and NCL. Your VR subsection score is probably too low for the Warwick cut off. Barts may be possible depending on your academics. Are you taking GAMSAT or BMAT?

Oh right, why do you think I should avoid those 3? Yeah don't think I'll be going for Warwick now. Not taking GAMSAT/BMAT, hence I was considering Kings etc. How are you getting on with your application?
Anyone have any advice for VR? I've been getting around 50-60% on the medify time-limited section :frown:. My exams in 9 days and I'm really worried :frown:. Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by isabella1999
Well done!!! I don't think kings do that much it's is more Edinburgh. How did you score so highly in QR? Everyone seems to be getting 800+ but in all my mocks I've done been getting 650-750 like how
thank you! which mocks have you been using? I did a lot better in QR than I thought I would. The QR was a little easier than the resources I have been using (Medify/1000Qs/Kaplan/official tests) although it wasn't as easy as people have been saying. I think you should be fine if you're getting those scores but my main tip is to flag any hard Qs that look like they're going to take a while and focus on getting the easy Qs right first!
Original post by Mickeytate
Oh right, why do you think I should avoid those 3? Yeah don't think I'll be going for Warwick now. Not taking GAMSAT/BMAT, hence I was considering Kings etc. How are you getting on with your application?

Apparently, the lowest score that got an interview for Southampton last year was 725. NCL was about 720, and Kings has a reputation for being quite heavy on UKCAT.
My application is ok, thanks, apart from writers block every time I look at my personal statement. Just finished my MSc thesis so I think I may have used up all of my writing skills. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending