The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
And yet the course starts on Thursday 6th :smile: (well, engineering anyway...)

It does in most courses. The first Thursday in the first week of term is when lectures start ....... though not all lectures obviously. :wink: :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
... though not all lectures obviously. :wink: :tongue:

That would be too, er, easy. :wink:

In other news, is everyone getting a TV Licence in accordance with the new rules? :wink:

So long as you aren't plugged into the mains when watching iPlayer on your laptop, or whatever, you'll be fine. (Assuming your parents have a home licence of course...)
Original post by jneill
That would be too, er, easy. :wink:

In other news, is everyone getting a TV Licence in accordance with the new rules? :wink:

So long as you aren't plugged into the mains when watching iPlayer on your laptop, or whatever, you'll be fine. (Assuming your parents have a home licence of course...)

Universities all over uk will be their biggest hunting ground to catch illegal iplayer-viewers.......:biggrin:
Universities all over uk will be their biggest hunting ground to catch illegal iplayer-viewers.......:biggrin:

The "but it wasn't plugged in" excuse will make it hard to enforce. I expect there will be lots of stiffly worded warnings and letters, but beyond that....

Top tip: if someone gets a knock on their door - check your laptop is unplugged before answering the door!
Original post by jneill
The "but it wasn't plugged in" excuse will make it hard to enforce. I expect there will be lots of stiffly worded warnings and letters, but beyond that....

Top tip: if someone gets a knock on their door - check your laptop is unplugged before answering the door!

Perhaps it's 'bout time we should give them more precise and concise info about iplayer/tv licence, rather than mum&dad chatting knowingly.....:tongue:

Everyone, READ THIS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37243332
Reply 765
Original post by jneill

Yeah, I doubt any of the data iPlayer collects about your machine will be if it is plugged in or not. And even if it does, if it's plugged into an external battery pack or something there's no way they can tell.

It's all a bit ridiculous to be honest.
Reply 766
Do bars serve non-alcoholic drinks? There's bars nights on freshers week that I don't know if I should take part in since I don't drink?
Reply 767
Original post by 12284
Do bars serve non-alcoholic drinks? There's bars nights on freshers week that I don't know if I should take part in since I don't drink?

Yes they do. Just order a soft drink.

No one will think twice seeing someone with a Coke, they'll probably assume something is in it anyway.
Original post by 12284

Yes, of course. And you can even get mock cocktails (mocktails) that have no alchohol but are a bit more "special" than just having a coke.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 12284

Yes, of course.
There're many students who doesn't drink alcoholic drink for religion or other reason. :wink:
University is very inclusive place......and probably freshers week at Cambridge involves slightly less drinking than other unis. :wink:
Original post by 12284

Of course they do it's a requirement of having a licence. The college bars sell things like Coke at a very reasonable price too I remember having one in Queens' bar and it costing like 60p.

As a non-drinker myself I would recommend giving everything a go even without drinking, and certainly nobody cares whether you are drinking or not on a trip to a pub; don't skip a social event you want to go to on those grounds alone. I can't say I've ever been forced or even heavily persuaded into having a drink either if people know you don't drink they generally respect that.
I've just been added to the ISOC freshers group on fb without even realising... :lol:
Original post by Serine Soul
I've just been added to the ISOC freshers group on fb without even realising... :lol:

Whats an isoc
Reply 773
Original post by gasfxekl
Whats an isoc

Nigel Farage's worst nightmare.
Original post by Serine Soul

Do you know someone you know there....or is someone there know you're coming?

Whats an isoc

Islamic Society.
Many universities have theirs. Cambridge has one too.

a couple of my daughter's friends were the member. :smile:

Islamic Society.
Many universities have theirs. Cambridge has one too.

a couple of my daughter's friends were the member. :smile:

There are muslims at Cambridge?
Whats an isoc

Islamic Society

Yeah, someone found me on the general freshers group :redface:
There are muslims at Cambridge?

Quite a few, in the group at least
Just took another look at the NatSci website and there now appears to be a direct clash between MB/EMB and chem :dontknow: I wonder if that's an error or if the combination really won't be possible anymore.
Reply 779
Original post by sayswho
Just took another look at the NatSci website and there now appears to be a direct clash between MB/EMB and chem :dontknow: I wonder if that's an error or if the combination really won't be possible anymore.

The only clash used to be Cells and CompSci I think, definitely not that.

Have you checked it against the chem website timetable? http://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/teaching/course-guides

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending