The Student Room Group

can I switch student bank after getting freebie?

Basically I want to have my student bank account with HSBC because they have the better account but the Santander freebie is more appealing. I read that I could open with Santander, get the 4 year 16-25 rail card and then switch to HSBC and get the Amazon voucher. I don't know if I can do this and if anybody else has tried it. Is it worth the effort?
Reply 1
I was wondering this .. with the exact same two banks!

HSBC are very clear you should only have one account :/ So, I would also be very interested in knowing this!
I have 2 student accounts but it was done by accident. I had a normal savings account with TSB and then I opened a student account with BoS and just as I did that my TSB account got automatically upgraded to a student one. Didn't get any good freebies though :frown:

But yeah I don't know if they'll let you do that and keep the railcard. I don't know if there's actually any legal reason you can't have 2 student accounts and if they'd even be able to know?
Last week I opened a student account with Santander, and got the Railcard sent home. But before even using my card i found out about HSBC's deal (1year prime + £60 voucher) so I went to a branch of Santander and had my account closed. Since i hadn't used the card (just the online services, no money in/out) it took about 10 minutes to close it down. Then I applied for HSBC and still waiting for a reply.

So yes you could do it, just close one of them down. If you want to use HSBC then apply for Santander first, and if not the other way around.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can but it'll look a bit dodgy on your credit report. Also it's unlikely that you'll use the benefits of the HSBC account over the Santander one, and if you do then you've got bigger problems to worry about.
Reply 5
Original post by Helloworld_95
You can but it'll look a bit dodgy on your credit report. Also it's unlikely that you'll use the benefits of the HSBC account over the Santander one, and if you do then you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Why is it unlikely you will use HSBC more then Santander benefits?
Original post by soLit
Why is it unlikely you will use HSBC more then Santander benefits?

Because £1500 is more than enough for an overdraft, only times I've seen people get up to that are shopaholics who travel a lot.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Because £1500 is more than enough for an overdraft, only times I've seen people get up to that are shopaholics who travel a lot.

Oh I understand! I agree aha, I am planning to not use my overdraft at all unless I really must for emergencies.
You could keep both accounts, have student loan paid into one, then set up a standing order to transfer weekly spending money to the other. Use first one for any monthly bills such as mobile bill and travel for weekends home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
HSBC are very stingy with overdrafts .
Reply 10
Original post by daisyfx
HSBC are very stingy with overdrafts .

The 1000 pounds is guaranteed while Santanders is "up to"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending