The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellomynameisr
How are you guys doing these kind of questions?! I literally have no idea what that is :rofl:

Note : we are not doing them, we are TRYING to do them xD
Original post by PhyM23
I would definitely advise people doing this to learn inequalities inside out, rational inequalities in particular. This is the first chapter of Edexcel FP2 and it's crucial you learn it. Also make sure you learn C3 and C4 integration inside out. Also learn projectile motion where the particle is projected at an angle. Some/all of you may have already done this in Edexcel M2 but some may not have. Also learn about Newtons law of universal gravitation F=(GMm)/r2 . Also be aware that they expect you to use the Maths in the physics section including calculus. For example they may ask you to integrate force with respect to time to find impulse without explicitly stating it, so don't be afraid to use integration/differentiation in the Physics section. I would also strongly advise learning as much of M3 as possible, especially circular motion.

Hope this helps :smile:

Great Post:

Just to clarify knowledge should be learnt is:

Physics Unit 4 - Ideal gas laws/circular motion/newtons laws etc.

FP2 - Inequalities

C1- Arithmetic Series

C2- Logarithms

C3 + C4 - Learnt Fully

Do I need to know much from FP3, C4 vectors etc

Reply 382
Original post by girlwonder17
Great Post:

Just to clarify knowledge should be learnt is:

Physics Unit 4 - Ideal gas laws/circular motion/newtons laws etc.

FP2 - Inequalities

C1- Arithmetic Series

C2- Logarithms

C3 + C4 - Learnt Fully

Do I need to know much from FP3, C4 vectors etc

Also FP2 graph sketching will be useful, and for some reason Oxford are obsessed with triangles in/outside circles so memorising that may save you some time.

Edit: And conditional probability!!
Is it important to have read some books in order to show your passion to the subject because I have not done so yet?

I wanted to be a mathematician when I was a child. It was only two years ago when I came to know that I wanted to become a physicist. Approximation in physics is what frustrated me the most. I couldn't digest it when tan x and sin x were approximated to be x when deriving some relation in optics. I wanted mathematics to be exact, I used to hate it when binomial expansion and approximations was used in deriving effect of rotation of earth (latitude) in gravitational field intensity. When deriving relation between linear, surfacial and volumetric coefficients of expansion my teacher used similar kind of approximation and I started hating Physics. I thought most of the relations I derive are done using approximation and these relations are used in deriving some other relations and at some point these relations can't be used in derived form and sooner or later it would be hard to keep track of it. When mgh couldn't be used to find change in potential energy when h is large and T = 2pi sqrt (l/g) couldn't be used to find time period of simple pendulum when l is comparable to radius of earth, I felt everything is wrong with the physics I was learning.

Now that I am comfortable with approximation, I laugh looking back at the incidents when I used to angrily argue with teacher annoying whole class but that was innocent past.

I had heard the story of Einstein and Special Relativity which made me dive into fantasies. I wanted to be like him. At some other point I happened to watch few YouTube documentaries on quantum mechanics. Those bizarre documentaries made me dive further into this topic. I knew nothing about these theories. I came to know that Einstein's theory and Quantum Mechanics are inconsistent and Einstein himself did not believe in Quantum Theory made me feel that latter is wrong.

I made a decision. Those formulaic explanation mean nothing to me unless I know those equations myself and layman explanations are nothing but another fantasy movie from Disney to me. I am not going to waste my time looking at such books.

I desperately wanted to learn these theories. I watched many lecture videos, read many internet articles but could not understand anything. I came to know (not understand) about Young's double slit experiment, quantum entanglement, quantum superposition, time dilation, length contraction, mass-energy conversion, mass expansion, Lorentz's transformation and 'speed of light in vacuum is the ultimate speed of light.

Later on, I realised that I can't jump into those topic like this. I came to know that I need to learn classical mechanics and probably electromagnetism before learning quantum mechanics or relativity. As I knew Newton's laws, Work-energy theorem a little bit of rotational dynamics, I thought I would be comfortable with classical mechanics books. I began googling best books on CM and downloaded few. To my surprise it was nothing as I had expected. Those books were filled with partial differentials, summation signs everywhere and terms like constraints, degree of freedom, Euler-Lagrange equation, Principle of Least action, Jacobean, Hamilton principles and what not. No matter how hard I tried it was a failure again.

I thought let me learn Euler-Lagrange equation first. Same failure story again, I had to learn multi variable calculus and some linear algebra first then calculus of variation. It was a nice journey to me.

I then (recently) started studying University Physics by Young and Freedman, Feynman's lectures in Physics and Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K.F Relay. I have only covered few portion of it so far. I thought this would never be a problem with me.

Now that I need to write a personal statement, I have nothing to prove that I am interested in this subject. It is not that I was blind regarding outside world. I know how LIGO detected gravitational wave twice (though I can't explain the mechanism) and further verified General Relativity. I am conscious about detection of Higgs boson. But, I still don't know how to prove my passion for the subject.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Much appreciations.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Is it important to have read some books in order to show your passion to the subject because I have not done so yet?

I wanted to be a mathematician when I was a child. It was only two years ago when I came to know that I wanted to become a physicist. Approximation in physics is what frustrated me the most. I couldn't digest it when tan x and sin x were approximated to be x when deriving some relation in optics. I wanted mathematics to be exact, I used to hate it when binomial expansion and approximations was used in deriving effect of rotation of earth (latitude) in gravitational field intensity. When deriving relation between linear, surfacial and volumetric coefficients of expansion my teacher used similar kind of approximation and I started hating Physics. I thought most of the relations I derive are done using approximation and these relations are used in deriving some other relations and at some point these relations can't be used in derived form and sooner or later it would be hard to keep track of it. When mgh couldn't be used to find change in potential energy when h is large and T = 2pi sqrt (l/g) couldn't be used to find time period of simple pendulum when l is comparable to radius of earth, I felt everything is wrong with the physics I was learning.

Now that I am comfortable with approximation, I laugh looking back at the incidents when I used to angrily argue with teacher annoying whole class but that was innocent past.

I had heard the story of Einstein and Special Relativity which made me dive into fantasies. I wanted to be like him. At some other point I happened to watch few YouTube documentaries on quantum mechanics. Those bizarre documentaries made me dive further into this topic. I knew nothing about these theories. I came to know that Einstein's theory and Quantum Mechanics are inconsistent and Einstein himself did not believe in Quantum Theory made me feel that latter is wrong.

I made a decision. Those formulaic explanation mean nothing to me unless I know those equations myself and layman explanations are nothing but another fantasy movie from Disney to me. I am not going to waste my time looking at such books.

I desperately wanted to learn these theories. I watched many lecture videos, read many internet articles but could not understand anything. I came to know (not understand) about Young's double slit experiment, quantum entanglement, quantum superposition, time dilation, length contraction, mass-energy conversion, mass expansion, Lorentz's transformation and 'speed of light in vacuum is the ultimate speed of light.

Later on, I realised that I can't jump into those topic like this. I came to know that I need to learn classical mechanics and probably electromagnetism before learning quantum mechanics or relativity. As I knew Newton's laws, Work-energy theorem a little bit of rotational dynamics, I thought I would be comfortable with classical mechanics books. I began googling best books on CM and downloaded few. To my surprise it was nothing as I had expected. Those books were filled with partial differentials, summation signs everywhere and terms like constraints, degree of freedom, Euler-Lagrange equation, Principle of Least action, Jacobean, Hamilton principles and what not. No matter how hard I tried it was a failure again.

I thought let me learn Euler-Lagrange equation first. Same failure story again, I had to learn multi variable calculus and some linear algebra first then calculus of variation. It was a nice journey to me.

I then (recently) started studying University Physics by Young and Freedman, Feynman's lectures in Physics and Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K.F Relay. I have only covered few portion of it so far. I thought this would never be a problem with me.

Now that I need to write a personal statement, I have nothing to prove that I am interested in this subject. It is not that I was blind regarding outside world. I know how LIGO detected gravitational wave twice (though I can't explain the mechanism) and further verified General Relativity. I am conscious about detection of Higgs boson. But, I still don't know how to prove my passion for the subject.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Much appreciations.

Thanks in advance.

Bruh thats passion in there. You tried to learn stuff that you were not forced to learn, if thats not passion then what is ? xD
You don't need to know about whats going on in the physics world to be passionate about physics. I know many people who are fascinated by things like time dilation but they don't get excited of actually doing Physics. There's a difference between learning physics and doing physics. They probably want you to enjoy DOING physics rather than Learning it. For example the reason i'm doing physics, is i like mathematically modelling physical phenomena, for eg. I once wrote a computer program to simulate the behavior of two planets crashing into each other etc ( the time taken between collisions etc )
Maybe you could write about how you enjoy doing physics, the problems, the harder problems the different approaches etc
Side note : You might like this book, Classical mechanics by david Morin
Reply 385
Original post by rohan.nuck
Bruh thats passion in there. You tried to learn stuff that you were not forced to learn, if thats not passion then what is ? xD
You don't need to know about whats going on in the physics world to be passionate about physics. I know many people who are fascinated by things like time dilation but they don't get excited of actually doing Physics. There's a difference between learning physics and doing physics. They probably want you to enjoy DOING physics rather than Learning it. For example the reason i'm doing physics, is i like mathematically modelling physical phenomena, for eg. I once wrote a computer program to simulate the behavior of two planets crashing into each other etc ( the time taken between collisions etc )
Maybe you could write about how you enjoy doing physics, the problems, the harder problems the different approaches etc

Morin's book is fantastic I have to say :biggrin:
Original post by Ipsooo
Morin's book is fantastic I have to say :biggrin:

Theres one on electrostatics/magnetism too :P
Reply 387
Theres one on electrostatics/magnetism too :P

must go check it out asap.... thanks! :wink:
What are the common values of sin cos tan I should know in both degrees and radians?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
What are the common values of sin cos tan I should know in both degrees and radians?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pi/ 4pi/2 pi/3 pi/6 pi and 2pi
Anyome using any pat specific books or have any other resources they would reccomend?
Thanks

Thank you so much. TSR won't let me give you reputations atm. :frown:

Morin's book looks ideal to me. Will get that book after PAT.
Thank you so much. TSR won't let me give you reputations atm. :frown:

Morin's book looks ideal to me. Will get that book after PAT.

What are reputations ? :smile:
Reply 393
How long do you guys think someone needs to prepare and be able to get a good mark in the PAT? I've been really undecided on whether to apply or not to Oxford, but my head of year has talked me into it. I would be starting ASAP. The problem is that I'm doing WJEC Maths/Physics, so I haven't even seen a lot of the stuff on the PAT before, and most of the topics seem to be stuff I learn in A2. I'm a super hard worker and can guarantee I will spend every spare minute I have revising for it. Anyone have any suggestions on whether it's worth it?

People rep you if you give them useful/helpful advice. The green bar under your name shows how many you have (something like that)

:smile: :d. Copied from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rep

"
The Reputation system on The Student Room enables members to give and receive reputation points for good posts or to thank a member for another reason. This can be done via two methods; personal reputation and post rating reputation.

The intention of personal reputation is to thank or acknowledge a specific member for something they have done, rather than a post they may have made. You can only leave positive personal reputations. You may also leave a comment when giving personal reputation.

"

Since I have given you some reputations recently, TSR won't let me give you any more for couple of days.
Original post by RPFeyn
How long do you guys think someone needs to prepare and be able to get a good mark in the PAT? I've been really undecided on whether to apply or not to Oxford, but my head of year has talked me into it. I would be starting ASAP. The problem is that I'm doing WJEC Maths/Physics, so I haven't even seen a lot of the stuff on the PAT before, and most of the topics seem to be stuff I learn in A2. I'm a super hard worker and can guarantee I will spend every spare minute I have revising for it. Anyone have any suggestions on whether it's worth it?

Depends on what level the person is at the moment. If someone i really used to contests in maths and physics they probably don't need much preparation. If someone is kind of struggling with A level stuff they need a fair bit of preparation. There's one thing you should know its that the exam is not like an A level or standardized test, the problems on the test are different. They require you to apply knowledge to unfamiliar situations and not just to recall it to solve routine exercises. So there isn't much revising needed if you know the concepts in A2 maths and physics,what may be more useful is to practice new problems ( look through older pages of this thread there's plenty of examples, bpho step etc ) You might want to start by doing a diagnostic test, just pick up last years paper and try it, see how much you score and then start focusing on what you need to improve. If you haven't done all the topics on the Pat, start by learning those first
:smile: :d. Copied from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rep

"
The Reputation system on The Student Room enables members to give and receive reputation points for good posts or to thank a member for another reason. This can be done via two methods; personal reputation and post rating reputation.

The intention of personal reputation is to thank or acknowledge a specific member for something they have done, rather than a post they may have made. You can only leave positive personal reputations. You may also leave a comment when giving personal reputation.

"

Since I have given you some reputations recently, TSR won't let me give you any more for couple of days.

Ah okay thanks for the explanation :biggrin:
Reply 398
Original post by RPFeyn

It depends on whether you are aiming to scrape an interview (around 55-65/100) or 90+. To get an interview, 2-3 hours a day for 3-4 weeks would do that job, but if you aiming for the highest mark then there's really no limit to how much work you can do.

Edit: Assuming no extra work done outside AS syllabus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by Ipsooo
It depends on whether you are aiming to scrape an interview (around 55-65/100) or 90+. To get an interview, 2-3 hours a day for 3-4 weeks would do that job, but if you aiming for the highest mark then there's really no limit to how much work you can do.

Edit: Assuming no extra work done outside AS syllabus.

I'm just mega intimidated by the PAT. I look at some of the maths questions on there and can honestly say I have no idea what they even mean. My lack of confidence is making me think that I shouldn't apply, but I think that my ambitious side would regret not even trying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending