The Student Room Group
Original post by catholicgirl
Apparently some people think that it's unfair that men can go topless and expose their nipples in public but women can't.

In my honest opinion I agree with the status quo, some people may say its a double standard but some double standards are necessary. What do you think?

Why is this double standard in particular 'necessary?'
As a girl I wouldn't think it's appropriate to show other people (guys or girls) my nipples for no apparent reason but that's mostly because I'm kinda shy x
Also, I wouldn't wanna see other girls' nipples because I think it's kinda gross x :/
Reply 3
TBH I wouldn't mind if girls walked around topless :wink:
Mens nipples are made up of the same tissue as womens, I think it's great. If you wanna show em off, show em! If you wanna keep them covered that's cool too! Let people be as they wanna be, different things liberate different people. Personally, I love getting topless on beach when its hot hot hot. I see guys with bigger boobs than mine.
Reply 5
Original post by catrinana
Why is this double standard in particular 'necessary?'

It is necessary because it is one of the characteristics that differentiate men and women.
Reply 6
I think I speak for all men when I say no it isn't
Nah. Double standards are s****y.
Reply 8
I don't think it should make any difference who has their nipples out and when. Unless they're afraid of the recently pregnant attacking them with milk cannons.
To be honest, I don't think they should be legally obligated to hide their nipples in public. But I don't really care that much.
The problem is that women are far more sexualised than men, and breasts are one of the most sexualised parts of a women so ofc it ludacrious for people to say "men show their nipples, why can't women"
(edited 7 years ago)
I think their campaign should be supported. The only difference I think in that saying it should be acceptable for a woman to be topless where a man can be, i would probably want men to cover up more often.
Original post by abc_123_
As a girl I wouldn't think it's appropriate to show other people (guys or girls) my nipples for no apparent reason but that's mostly because I'm kinda shy x
Also, I wouldn't wanna see other girls' nipples because I think it's kinda gross x :/

Same I agree
I think it's ridiculous how on instagram a woman's nipples are removed but a man's aren't. if you zoomed in and JUST showed the nipple, they'd never know the difference.

I also find it obscene that women can't even take their TSHIRTS off, let alone their bras - on hot days, I am extraordinarily jealous of men who can just whip their shirts off without a second thought. our bodies have to be politicized and it's rooted in nonsense.

so in conclusion - no I don't agree :lol:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bonjour! <3
Same I agree

Tit isn’t good to bump a 5-year-old thread. Breast not to do it in the future.
Female breasts are sexual organs, so they must be covered in a civilised society.
closed :smile:
5 year thread