The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medici103
Apparently, the lowest score that got an interview for Southampton last year was 725. NCL was about 720, and Kings has a reputation for being quite heavy on UKCAT.
My application is ok, thanks, apart from writers block every time I look at my personal statement. Just finished my MSc thesis so I think I may have used up all of my writing skills. :smile:

Oooft ok. I'll have to do a bit more research then as I'm running low on uni options. Oh you'll be in a strong position for finishing a masters though, how did you find the UKCAT or have you not taken it yet? Good luck with the personal statement progress!
Hello other stressed applicants!
Just wondering if there was anyone who has finished using medify and still has any subscription left would let me use their remaining time, even if it was only a day? I can't really afford to subscribe myself so thought it was worth a shot as I saw a few pages earlier this had happened. Have been using the UKCAT official stuff but am coming to the end of what is available. Thank you in advance to any help! :smile:
Original post by Mickeytate
Oooft ok. I'll have to do a bit more research then as I'm running low on uni options. Oh you'll be in a strong position for finishing a masters though, how did you find the UKCAT or have you not taken it yet? Good luck with the personal statement progress!

I got 730 in UKCAT. Absolutely stunned as UKCAT has been my nemesis in previous applications.

Have you looked at Birmingham? They don't use an admissions test but they do focus on academics. It may be an option if you have a strong background. Also, your UKCAT may be mitigated at other unis if you have strong academics. The chap at Barts said that, because of the 50:50 weighting, a strong academic profile could make up for a lower UKCAT score.
Are 5 year course an option at all?
Original post by greenowl99
Hello other stressed applicants!
Just wondering if there was anyone who has finished using medify and still has any subscription left would let me use their remaining time, even if it was only a day? I can't really afford to subscribe myself so thought it was worth a shot as I saw a few pages earlier this had happened. Have been using the UKCAT official stuff but am coming to the end of what is available. Thank you in advance to any help! :smile:

When is your exam? My exam is on the 10th but my subscription lasts until the 15th so you could use it then if it would still be of use :smile:
Original post by Dohaeris
Hey guys, just got done with my UKCAT with an average of 760 but only Band 2 in SJT. Will this disadvantage my application or restrict any uni choices?

If you're interested, I got 700, 830, and 750 in Verbal, Quantitative and Abstract reasoning.

Your ukcat score is amazing! Most unis barely look at SJT and even if they did band 2 is really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by takurino
When is your exam? My exam is on the 10th but my subscription lasts until the 15th so you could use it then if it would still be of use :smile:

Hello, would it be okay if I use this too? My exam is soon and I would appreciate extra content :smile:
I can't do QR, can anybody help me/give me advice please :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3587
Original post by michaela__

Posted from TSR Mobile

QR was my worst section in mocks, never got above 650 and was usually 550-630 - got 740 in the real thing and some people seem to have had even bigger jumps :smile: I genuinely think the mark scale they're using is a lot more generous, plus the questions seem to be slightly easier.
Also: if you don't have a number pad on your keyboard now or aren't using it, use it in the exam (you can practice in some of your DM time), it speeds you up so much!!
VR 790
QR 890
AR 680
Band 1
:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you using medify? Their questions are very hard but that means you'll be more prepared when it comes to it.

Generally it doesn't require higher level knowledge, so if you're doing a question with anything more difficult that percentage changes you're probably doing something wrong. Also, just as with the rest of the UKCAT, spend a decent amount of time on each question and if you're stumped or working through it slowly - move on to the next!
Got 730 band 2 :smile:
Does this eliminate me from any universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there anything in specific you can't do or is it more to do with the time pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 596 on Medify Mock 2!

UKCAT in a few days! Does anybody have any advice!! I'm desperate!!

VR 550
QR 670
AR 570

SJT Band 2
Original post by slothgenius
thank you! which mocks have you been using? I did a lot better in QR than I thought I would. The QR was a little easier than the resources I have been using (Medify/1000Qs/Kaplan/official tests) although it wasn't as easy as people have been saying. I think you should be fine if you're getting those scores but my main tip is to flag any hard Qs that look like they're going to take a while and focus on getting the easy Qs right first!

Medify, 1000Q and medic portal. Havnt done the official ones yet. Oh okay, thanks for the advice! I'm really bad at doing that, I lose track of time when I'm trying to work something out haha
Original post by Docjones1
VR 790
QR 890
AR 680
Band 1
:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

Are you using medify? Their questions are very hard but that means you'll be more prepared when it comes to it.

Generally it doesn't require higher level knowledge, so if you're doing a question with anything more difficult that percentage changes you're probably doing something wrong. Also, just as with the rest of the UKCAT, spend a decent amount of time on each question and if you're stumped or working through it slowly - move on to the next!

Yes I started using QR on medify today and omg it was awful so I've stopped that and have started using the 1000q ISC book to slowly get into it without stressing myself out too much, do you know whether this one is really easy for QR or just normal? The questions in this book and on medify are fine maths wise it's just the timing and picking things out of the data quickly is what I'm struggling with :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Is there anything in specific you can't do or is it more to do with the time pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's timing really :frown: I've only started working on it today so I really should be less harsh on myself but it takes forever and the online calculator I actually despise so much. I've started using the 1000q book for QR and haven't been timing it, is that a good or bad idea? Do you think I should start being strict now or do that later on when I'm more confident with the format?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I started using QR on medify today and omg it was awful so I've stopped that and have started using the 1000q ISC book to slowly get into it without stressing myself out too much, do you know whether this one is really easy for QR or just normal? The questions in this book and on medify are fine maths wise it's just the timing and picking things out of the data quickly is what I'm struggling with :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking about the 1000q book I'm not sure because I haven't used it. Timing is certainly the most important part - get used to the questions with the 1000q book but certainly move onto timing yourself.
I just sat the UKCAT today the QR and AR went really well, but the VR and SJT were tough.
I did a lot of revison and it honestly didn't help with any section, except the AR.
Original post by Docjones1
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking about the 1000q book I'm not sure because I haven't used it. Timing is certainly the most important part - get used to the questions with the 1000q book but certainly move onto timing yourself.

I'll finish the 1000q book and then do medify QR just to make sure the book isn't too easy lol. Okay I will do :biggrin: thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, my UKCAT is in 9days and I have been only using the 1000q book. Should i sign up for medify too?
Hi guys,
So my UKCAT is on the 6th and I've done two medify mocks getting 850 670 850 (790 avg) in the first and 730 630 and 750 (703 avg) in the second. On the Kaplan mocks I've been getting around 690 average. But my low quantitative reasoning score is evident in all the mocks which is worrying me as its only gone above 700 once in about the 5 mocks I've done. I've tried many techniques to improve it but to no success. Should I be worried with a qr of 670ish on the mocks or not? How is the actual exam compared to medify/Kaplan? I don't want it to pull my overall score down by a great amount. Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending