The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Islamic Society

Yeah, someone found me on the general freshers group :redface:

Maybe he/she added you, then.
Not sure how active/involved these friends of my daughter were with the society. They're not particularly religious type, so.......
It's possible they became member just like you. :wink:

I have no idea what they do or what's their atmosphere is like, tbh.
Sometimes there're more than one societies that represent one religion/culture/nationality and sometime one of them is nice and the other is not.
So if you're not too sure, it may be worth investigating before you jump in.
Quite a few, in the group at least

There are many, not just from uk but from many countries abroad. :smile:
Original post by alow
Nigel Farage's worst nightmare.

Thought it was the other way around?
Farage = their (and all the sensible people's) nightmare
Original post by alow
The only clash used to be Cells and CompSci I think, definitely not that.

Have you checked it against the chem website timetable? http://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/teaching/course-guides

Yup, that's what I remember as well, but this is what it looks like now. Chem timetable for 2016/17 says 9am Mon/Weds/Fri.
Original post by Platopus
Hello everyone, I won't be starting at Cambridge this October as I had planned.

If you want an explanation, here's a thread about it (didn't want to derail this one):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4293872&p=67339544#post67339544

To cut a long story short, I'm anorexic and after talking to Cambridge and my doctors, everyone has decided that it would be better for me to defer than to go this year. Guess this means I should be leaving this thread.

Good luck to you all.

ah thats a shame :frown: .... but good luck and hope u get better soon!
Reply 785
Original post by vincrows
Thought it was the other way around?
Farage = their (and all the sensible people's) nightmare

I suppose it goes both ways :tongue:
Reply 786
Original post by sayswho
Yup, that's what I remember as well, but this is what it looks like now. Chem timetable for 2016/17 says 9am Mon/Weds/Fri.

Hmm. Odd.

Maybe they only want people who do Maths A/B to do chem now.
Original post by EnglishMuon
ah thats a shame :frown: .... but good luck and hope u get better soon!

Thanks, love

If you want an explanation, here's a thread about it (didn't want to derail this one):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4293872&p=67339544#post67339544

To cut a long story short, I'm anorexic and after talking to Cambridge and my doctors, everyone has decided that it would be better for me to defer than to go this year. Guess this means I should be leaving this thread.

Good luck to you all.

I think you are very brave and made an absolutely right decision.
I'm really sorry you've been carrying the burden of your problem on your own until now, but I am really glad and relieved you found the strength to face it and make it better.

Very best of luck with the treatment, and I'll keep my fingers and everything crossed for you to start your new healthier life in Cambridge next year.
Stay strong! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you are very brave and made an absolutely right decision.
I'm really sorry you've been carrying the burden of your problem on your own until now, but I am really glad and relieved you found the strength to face it and make it better.

Very best of luck with the treatment, and I'll keep my fingers and everything crossed for you to start your new healthier life in Cambridge next year.
Stay strong! :smile:

Thank you so very much. Going to get help was the scariest thing I have ever done, but I know it will be worth it.

Cambridge is going to be a new start! And a new me :smile:
Original post by alow
Hmm. Odd.

Wow it's quite something when Cam change the natsci timetable!! Usually near everything here is on the corresponding day year in year out :wink:
Thank you so very much. Going to get help was the scariest thing I have ever done, but I know it will be worth it.

Cambridge is going to be a new start! And a new me :smile:

As I said many times to 'the other' you :wink:, they are quite good at looking after their students with health issue.
So as long as you can improve your condition to a manageable level and learn how to keep it under control through the treatment, they will do their best to keep an eye for you and care for you.
And being a collegiate university really does help a lot in a situation like yours. You're very lucky you chose Cambridge on that front too ! :biggrin:

Now you can just concentrate on getting better. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sayswho

What? That really screws up my options...I'm gonna email my DoS...
As I said many times to 'the other' you :wink:, they are quite good at looking after their students with health issue.
So as long as you can improve your condition to a manageable level and learn how to keep it under control through the treatment, they will do their best to keep an eye for you and care for you.
And being a collegiate university really does help a lot in a situation like yours. You're very lucky you chose Cambridge on that front too ! :biggrin:

Now you can just concentrate on getting better. :smile:

Yes, they have just been unbelievably supportive and kind. I am pleasantly surprised by how readily they suggested that I defer. I honestly expected to have my offer revoked. This makes me love Cambridge even more!
Yes, they have just been unbelievably supportive and kind. I am pleasantly surprised by how readily they suggested that I defer. I honestly expected to have my offer revoked. This makes me love Cambridge even more!

*cough cough* I really don't want to say this but........what did I tell you?

:tongue:
*cough cough* I really don't want to say this but........what did I tell you?

:tongue:

PRSOM. I stand corrected, and gratefully so!
Original post by alow
Hmm. Odd.

That would be really annoying.

What? That really screws up my options...I'm gonna email my DoS...

Please let me know what you find out.

Good luck to you all.

I'm glad it's a deferral - you deserve to be going to Cambridge! Also, crazy to think you've actually gotten into Cambridge whilst going through all that. Make the most of your year off and I'll look forward to seeing you in Camb next year. :smile:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Farage is gone now, isn't he? It looks like Theresa May will have us out of the EU, which means we'll probably say goodbye to Farage for good.

He was in US, making friends with Trump last week......

And I've heard he went to German Embassy in London a few weeks ago to get a German passport......
Original post by Mathemagicien
They can keep him...

Suppose they're experienced in dealing with people with that sort of political view.
Just hope they'll keep them within their border next time.......:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending