The Student Room Group

Any questions regarding sixth form / studying A levels?

I've finished year 13 and I'm going to Uni now

Feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentmoments

What a levels did you do? Did you do an EPQ?
Reply 2
What to do at free periods?
What to do when you're on the bus going to college?
How is college?
How to make friends? :tongue:

I'm going into Year 13
Any advice for writing my PS would be just fab since u got into Uni :smile:
Congrats btw!
Original post by Workangel_24
What a levels did you do? Did you do an EPQ?

I studied Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. I had the option to do the EPQ but I didn't because I already had so much work to do I felt it would be too much for me to handle. Also I wasn't really that interested in it but then again that's just me.
Original post by ak143244
How is college?

Revise
Play on your phone
Mine was sh/t
Talk to people, keep your deck held high and don't get too attached to people because most off them are A-holes
Original post by I am Kira
Revise
Play on your phone
Mine was sh/t
Talk to people, keep your deck held high and don't get too attached to people because most off them are A-holes

Don't do any of this.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Don't do any of this.

Lol the first one is something you should do
The rest are specific to mine really
Reply 8

How much revision did u do each day and did u do more on the weekend?
Original post by I am Kira
Lol the first one is something you should do
The rest are specific to mine really

First one is optional, personally for 80% of the year I went home or chilled with friends.

Near the end of the year I revised in all my free periods, due to exams obviously.
Original post by whydoidothis?
First one is optional, personally for 80% of the year I went home or chilled with friends.

Near the end of the year I revised in all my free periods, due to exams obviously.

Nah mate, most sixth formers should be revising in most of their free periods. I'm not saying from day one but after a few months
Of course take a break once in a while, you don't have to revise every free period
U said u did psychology, chemistry and biology. Which parts of did u find hardest, easiest, most boring and most interesting in all 3? I am taking all of those myself as well as philosophy/ethics
Original post by RS012
How much revision did u do each day and did u do more on the weekend?

For me it varied from day to day. I know some people who made their own timetable on revision. I tried that but I couldn't stick to it.

It's difficult to say exactly but it depended on my school timetable. For example, if it's a day where I have free periods then I would revise at school then not do that much at home. If I had no free periods then I'd get loads of homework so I'd do that on the day and the next day I'd have for revision.

I didn't really revise that much on Saturdays particularly so I guess that was like my day off. I didn't really do that much more in the weekends unless it was mock exams (before Christmas holidays) and before the exams this June.

It depends on how much you need to get done.
Original post by ak143244
How is college?

In free periods I usually caught up on my homework or revised. I'll be honest, sometimes we'd get distracted in a random conversation and get barely anything done and there were some people I knew who rarely did any work in their free periods but they did a lot at home. As long as you do what you need to do you before the deadline you should be fine.

Before I started I imagined that I'd need to do a lot of reading on the bus because it took me quite a while to get there but tbh I'd just talk to my friends if they caught the same bus in the morning as me.

I went to sixth form so I'm assuming college wouldn't be exactly the same but if it helps it was alright. It was stressful during exams but you have other people going through the same experience as you are and you just need to try to stay calm.

I'm not a social person so if I could make friends pretty much anyone can :biggrin: I would say don't worry too much about what other people think of you, just say hi, a bit about yourself and you can ask questions as well. You'll be fine

Congratulations :smile:

When did you start your personal statement?
When did you send off the personal statement?
When did you get the offers from Universities?
Did you get invited to the open days?

Thanks in advance
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I'm going into Year 13
Any advice for writing my PS would be just fab since u got into Uni :smile:
Congrats btw!

So I did write a reply to this post a few minutes ago but my laptop was acting up and I don't know if it will upload later or not. If it does then it may look like I'm repeating myself, sorry about that. :frown:

Anyway, with the PS, think about why you chose the course. Why study this course rather than any other? What is it that attracted you to the course? I know a few people who applied for more than course, if you're one of those people then you'll need to write two personal statements. Writing about any work experience is good.
Think about why they should give you an offer.

Also, bare in mind that if you have an interview then they may ask you questions about the PS.

Don't worry too much about it now though. You can ask other people applying to the same or similar course as you and talk to your teachers or tutors if you need any help.
Original post by Neuron13
U said u did psychology, chemistry and biology. Which parts of did u find hardest, easiest, most boring and most interesting in all 3? I am taking all of those myself as well as philosophy/ethics

I studied Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths in my first year and dropped Biology in the second year.
I found Maths the easiest in the first year but that is because I studied Additional Maths in year 11 so most of the stuff I learned in year 11 were the same in year 12. found Chemistry the hardest because it had a bit of a crossover with Physics.

Psychology would probably be my easiest in second year and again Chemistry the hardest. I found Biology most boring which is why I dropped it in.

I found a few modules in Maths interesting and a bit of Psychology as well.
Original post by Ze Witcher
Congratulations :smile:

When did you start your personal statement?
When did you send off the personal statement?
When did you get the offers from Universities?
Did you get invited to the open days?

Thanks in advance

Thank you:smile:

I started my Personal Statement in September.
The deadline to send it was 15th January I think but we were advised to send it earlier because Universities can offer places before the deadline.
If you are applying for Medicine or Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) and I think Dentistry then the deadline is much earlier, about mid November I think.
I got the offers around March and April and I was invited to open days.

All the deadlines should soon be available online for your year on the UCAS website.
This is random but do you think a shoulder bag/handbag instead of a backpack is a bad idea? :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by surina16
This is random but do you think a shoulder bag/handbag instead of a backpack is a bad idea? :biggrin:

Im getting a shoulder bag (im getting it tomorrow lmao and I start college inset day tomorrow, so im going with no bag :s-smilie:). It doesnt matter tbh, whichever suits you.

-
Do you have any advice for me, I have an inset day tmorrow and im kinda nervous. Im also nervous for the ice breakers and stuff....
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest