The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Venihala
Having a language (or an IR degree or whatever) will not enhance your application at all. They make the decision solely on the basis of your performance in the assessments.

Obviously it would make it a bit easier to actually do your job if you got in. But even then, chances are you won't be placed in an embassy whose language you already happen to speak more than once or twice. They will pay you full time to learn the language of your next destination if you don't already know it. There's a big misconception that you have to speak another language to get into the FCO.

Yes exactly. This is why my original response said:

First things first you have to get through the tests regardless of degree, but I'd say if you're aiming for diplomatic it would be extremely beneficial to have a second language, particularly a difficult one like Russian or Arabic.
Does anyone know if the schemes are due to open on the 1st September?

It's only a few days away and the website hasn't updated with its 2016/2017 opening and closing deadlines.

I'm also interested to hear people's opinion on the impact Brexit will have had on this years intake.

Presumably there will be an increase in graduate recruitment to respond to the massive task of withdrawing from the EU? However, has anyone heard whether the European scheme is continuing this year?
Reply 62
I just noticed today that there is a new post on the applications website which says:

"THE FOLLOWING LOGIN IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE APPLIED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2015 AND MARCH 2016. THE NEW SCHEMES WILL OPEN IN LATE SEPTEMBER 2016. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW SCHEMES WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE SHORTLY."

I wonder if this means that applications won't open on 1st September like last year?
Original post by puppy640
I just noticed today that there is a new post on the applications website which says:

"THE FOLLOWING LOGIN IS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE APPLIED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2015 AND MARCH 2016. THE NEW SCHEMES WILL OPEN IN LATE SEPTEMBER 2016. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW SCHEMES WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE SHORTLY."

I wonder if this means that applications won't open on 1st September like last year?

I Facebook messaged the Fast Stream because I wanted to make sure they were actually running the stream this year. They said they were doing a 2017 intake but didn't have an official opening date.

I suspect this means the fast stream might be more low key this year? Perhaps a lower number of graduates are being taken on.
Original post by Jamiebb1993
I Facebook messaged the Fast Stream because I wanted to make sure they were actually running the stream this year. They said they were doing a 2017 intake but didn't have an official opening date.

I suspect this means the fast stream might be more low key this year? Perhaps a lower number of graduates are being taken on.

That's really interesting, I was expecting it to open tomorrow like the previous years. I thought Brexit meant they're taking on more but maybe not?

Original post by whyamianadult
That's really interesting, I was expecting it to open tomorrow like the previous years. I thought Brexit meant they're taking on more but maybe not?

They said during the 2015/16 cycle that in future the application process would be more compressed, so there would be less time between applications opening and offers being sent out. They have lost lots of potential recruits to the private sector because it was taking them so long. So that might explain the late opening.
Original post by jelly1000
They said during the 2015/16 cycle that in future the application process would be more compressed, so there would be less time between applications opening and offers being sent out. They have lost lots of potential recruits to the private sector because it was taking them so long. So that might explain the late opening.

That makes a lot of sense actually.

Last year I got so frustrated with the application process that I accepted another job rather than go through with the E Tray.
Reply 67
Hi guys! I came on here after seeing the scheme this year isn't open yet.

I applied this time last year to the government economic service, which is one of the analytical roles, but failed at the final hurdle of the FSAC.

It must have only been a marginal failure though as I've been offered one of the direct appointment places as an assistant economist (not FS, but a similar role), as part of this I'm expected to reapplying to the Fast Stream and pass. Hopefully I'll get that bit further this year :smile:
The login has changed to a "register your interest form". It says:

Thank you for registering your interest in the Civil Service Fast Stream, and congratulations on getting in early! We will let you know when our new website is up and running in Mid September so you can be one of the first to view all of the information on the schemes available. Applications will be open from the end of September 2016. In the meantime, if you would like more information follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and our Fast Stream Blog. Good luck! The Civil Service Team
That makes a lot of sense actually.

Last year I got so frustrated with the application process that I accepted another job rather than go through with the E Tray.

Yup lots of people did what you did. I take it you aren't keen on the job you accepted then?
Yup lots of people did what you did. I take it you aren't keen on the job you accepted then?

No, I should have persevered but I was a third year after a good salary at the time
Original post by JoJoBonetto
The login has changed to a "register your interest form". It says:

Thank you for registering your interest in the Civil Service Fast Stream, and congratulations on getting in early! We will let you know when our new website is up and running in Mid September so you can be one of the first to view all of the information on the schemes available. Applications will be open from the end of September 2016. In the meantime, if you would like more information follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and our Fast Stream Blog. Good luck! The Civil Service Team

Thanks for the heads up!
No, I should have persevered but I was a third year after a good salary at the time

Well fingers crossed you get in again this time .
Reply 73
Heya!

How long did it take between you replying to the direct appointments email and being offered a solid post?
For those of us who applied last year and got through the FSAC it has all got a lot more interesting with the direct appointments emails coming out today.
For those of us who applied last year and got through the FSAC it has all got a lot more interesting with the direct appointments emails coming out today.

This is my first application cycle, what are direct appointments?
If you get through to the assessment centre and don't completely bomb out but don't pass they may contact you with a job offer at EO grade which is the grade below the civil service fast stream starting grade of HEO. I scored 12.12 so had to live through band narrowing until Easter. It's an experience.
I am less excited about the EO role because I have been an EO for eleven years but I am profoundly fed up with my current post so it is.... Fortuitous lol
I am less excited about the EO role because I have been an EO for eleven years but I am profoundly fed up with my current post so it is.... Fortuitous lol

are you going to accept it?
are you going to accept it?

I haven't been offered one yet but it depends where it is and travel costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending