The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Classical Literature and Civilisation at Birmingham University

Anyone applying to or already doing classical lit at Birmingham? What a level subjects are people doing/have done?
I'm about to start doing it! I did cambridge pre u english lit, classical civilisations and psychology
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by mimilottolo
I'm about to start doing it! I did cambridge pre u english lit, classical civilisations and psychology

I'm doing a level English Lit, English Language and Classical Civ. Where else did you apply btw, and what made you pick the Birmingham course?
Original post by Amynadia0033
I'm doing a level English Lit, English Language and Classical Civ. Where else did you apply btw, and what made you pick the Birmingham course?

I applied to KCL, Swansea, reading and Leeds as well as Birmingham. I chose b'ham because the course was the most varied and interesting for me personally, the subsidised trip in second year made it hugely appealing, the ability to pick up Latin, the location and the fact that it's Russell group as well as being able to focus on Western Asia, ancient Egypt and do modules in archaeology. My insurance was classics at Swansea and I think it's a really good insurance to have, the course there also looked really good to me
The Egyptian and archaeology modular options appealed to me a lot as well. I'm struggling to find an insurance choice though, I also looked at and liked Swansea but it's way too far away for me.
Hi I applied for English and Classical Literature and Civilisation and received an offer of ABB. I study English Literature, Medieval History, and Classical Civilisation. I'm ever so excited as it's my favoured course and uni! I always knew I wanted to study English as I adore literature of all forms, yet I decided to do Classics as well just a few months ago when I began Classics A Level. My insurance is hopefully Reading but I've yet to receive an offer. I don't think I'll study Latin but the modules in Ancient Rome and Greek literature fascinate me.
Original post by annapenhal
Hi I applied for English and Classical Literature and Civilisation and received an offer of ABB. I study English Literature, Medieval History, and Classical Civilisation. I'm ever so excited as it's my favoured course and uni! I always knew I wanted to study English as I adore literature of all forms, yet I decided to do Classics as well just a few months ago when I began Classics A Level. My insurance is hopefully Reading but I've yet to receive an offer. I don't think I'll study Latin but the modules in Ancient Rome and Greek literature fascinate me.

I've applied to Reading too, haven't had a response yet though. I ended up applying to Birmingham for both English and classical lit combined, and classical lit on its own and am waiting for a response ( I imagine it will be a while as they need to process two applications from me).I've received two offers so far, Manchester University for Classical Studies, and Liverpool for English Lit and Classical Studies joint honours (both ask for ABB). I agree that the literature modules look really awesome, and I'm still debating whether I'd take Latin or not.

Also, when did you receive your offer? How soon after you applied etc
I've applied to Reading too, haven't had a response yet though. I ended up applying to Birmingham for both English and classical lit combined, and classical lit on its own and am waiting for a response ( I imagine it will be a while as they need to process two applications from me).I've received two offers so far, Manchester University for Classical Studies, and Liverpool for English Lit and Classical Studies joint honours (both ask for ABB). I agree that the literature modules look really awesome, and I'm still debating whether I'd take Latin or not.

I applied for both joint and pure English! But I'm set on doing combined now. I also applied for pure English Lit at York St John and received an unconditional offer. I've yet to hear from Reading and Exeter. My college sent mine off on the 12th October and I received my English offer on the 21st and my combined on the 25th. Have you received a receipt from Reading? I haven't and I'm concerned.
I applied for both joint and pure English! But I'm set on doing combined now. I also applied for pure English Lit at York St John and received an unconditional offer. I've yet to hear from Reading and Exeter. My college sent mine off on the 12th October and I received my English offer on the 21st and my combined on the 25th. Have you received a receipt from Reading? I haven't and I'm concerned.

I haven't had a receipt from Reading. I've heard that some unis don't do them, so I assume that they're one of them. Are you planning to firm Birmingham combined?
I haven't had a receipt from Reading. I've heard that some unis don't do them, so I assume that they're one of them. Are you planning to firm Birmingham combined?

Oh thank goodness I was worried they hadn't received my application. Yeah I'm going to firm combined at Bham and hopefully put an offer from Reading as my insurance. I only applied for Exeter as I needed a fifth and have no intention of going!
Oh thank goodness I was worried they hadn't received my application. Yeah I'm going to firm combined at Bham and hopefully put an offer from Reading as my insurance. I only applied for Exeter as I needed a fifth and have no intention of going!

Haha, that's so strange because I nearly did the exact same thing with Exeter, but ended up applying to Birmingham twice instead when I realised how much I like both courses. I don't think the Reading thing is anything to worry about, some unis just don't bother with the acknowledgements or take their time.I'm really nervous and hoping I get an offer from Birmingham soon, but I only applied on the 21st
I know this thread is a wee bit old, but is anyone considering applying for 2019? Also, if anyone is currently taking the degree rn (esp. combined) how are you finding it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest