The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Sharp Decline

I was interested to see that School's which adopted IGCSE were doing a much better Job then Schools with GCSE.

It either the unfair GCSE Reform or GCSE's Have gone harder than usual.

Any thoughts on this I am doing my GCSE in 2 years time and I hope it isn't that hard i'm taking 11 Subjects possibly 12 with Ad Maths!
Reply 1
In the academic community IGCSEs are largely considered to be much easier than other GCSEs. This is not necessarily my opinion so please don't shoot the messenger.

At our school the lower ability sets were entered for IGCSEs and the higher sets 'ordinary' GCSEs. I believe the idea of the IGCSE is to make the qualifications more accessible to all and in that respect they do seem to be working. Are they as challenging as other qualifications in the same subjects? Possibly not.

At the end of the day students don't get to decide which style GCSE they are entered for so it is unfair to judge their ability in terms of IGSCE or GCSE. A good grade is a good grade regardless of style/board. :biggrin:
Original post by Clemm101
In the academic community IGCSEs are largely considered to be much easier than other GCSEs. This is not necessarily my opinion so please don't shoot the messenger.

At our school the lower ability sets were entered for IGCSEs and the higher sets 'ordinary' GCSEs. I believe the idea of the IGCSE is to make the qualifications more accessible to all and in that respect they do seem to be working. Are they as challenging as other qualifications in the same subjects? Possibly not.

At the end of the day students don't get to decide which style GCSE they are entered for so it is unfair to judge their ability in terms of IGSCE or GCSE. A good grade is a good grade regardless of style/board. :biggrin:

I've never heard iGCSEs be called easier. The grade boundaries are generally lower due to tough exam technique IMHO but those who take iGCSEs e.g. in grammar schools are more predisposed to get the higher grades anyway.
Reply 3
I haven't taken IGCSEs so I can't say for certain but what I can say is that last year the whole of our year 11 were entered for both CIE English Lang and WJEC English Lang. With the odd exception the grades achieved at IGCSE were significantly higher than those achieved with WJEC. This year our lower sets were entered for IGCSE and achieved much higher than their target grades. The general consensus amongst the teaching staff across the four high schools in our trust is that IGCSEs are easier and more accessible for the lower sets.
Reply 4

This is possibly the case for English Language but Science IGCSEs are defintely harder than Science GCSEs and I think the same is true for modern languages as IGCSE doesn't include the massive cheating opportunity that is controlled assessment.

State schools can no longer do IGCSEs.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
This is possibly the case for English Language but Science IGCSEs are defintely harder than Science GCSEs and I think the same is true for modern languages as IGCSE doesn't include the massive cheating opportunity that is controlled assessment.

Massive cheating opportunity............:shock::shock::shock: But you could be right. The IGCSE English Lang does have coursework.
Reply 6
[QUOTE="Clemm101;67361982"]
Original post by Compost

Massive cheating opportunity............:shock::shock::shock: But you could be right. The IGCSE English Lang does have coursework.

I was commenting specifically on the structure of modern language controlled assessment. I have seen too many students arrive in our sixth form with a* a* in modern language controlled assessments and d e in the exams. That cannot be a plausible outcome in a legitimate exam system.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Compost;67370678"]

I was commenting specifically on the structure of modern language controlled assessment. I have seen too many students arrive in our sixth form with a* a* in modern language controlled assessments and d e in the exams. That cannot be a plausible outcome in a legitimate exam system.

This applies to all qualifications that have a coursework element, not just MFL. Any formal assessment which involves varying degrees of control and those which are allowed to be repeated time and time again are open to abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest