The Student Room Group

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

It should be banned, hopefully one day it will be. Even other cucked European nations such as France have banned it.
Reply 41
Original post by tazarooni89
Surely if you value freedom so much, as well as valuing the freedom to do all of these things, you would also value the freedom to choose not to do all of these things as well?

Not everyone wants to wear bikinis nor drink alcohol nor be sexually promiscuous, so why must they?

I would have thought the best way to demonstrate the value of freedom is to simply leave it up to the individual themselves to decide what to wear, what to drink or whom to sleep with, imposing as few restrictions as is practically possible.*

I completely agree, which is why I'm very reserved about the idea of banning the burqa, and why I think a cultural shift (which I believe is happening) is better. The severe mocking and criticism of fundamentalist or just old-fashioned Christianity over the 20th century does seem to have actually worked. These days Life of Brian would not cause so much controversy. Not even close. I don't see why Islam is different. One day, we should be able to mock Mohammad without fear.

And for the record, I don't think everyone should spend their lives shagging and getting pissed (but they can if they want to), I just think that freedom we have to do so is something to be very happy about, and I think the way we are quite open about sex is also something to be proud of. It's not so much the act itself I'm talking about, but the way sex is so apparent and important in so many important Western works of art, literature, and cinema. Equally, alcohol is too, going back to the Porter in Macbeth and far further. These aren't things to be ashamed of, they're things to be celebrated as parts of our vibrant and storied culture. Just as is homosexuality too.
Original post by The_Opinion
Well, I never said anything about animals.

However, there is a general pattern that people who are likely to call such people animals, or at least support the people that call them animals are generally going to be Brexit supporters. People supported Brexit for so many different reasons that it is hard to say that I am confused by you arguing against calling them animals, as it would mainly depend on your reasons for voting Brexit.

By biggest issue is with people who support Muslim migration, and then support gay rights and having a welfare state, they are mutually exclusive. I find those people to be utter morons. Those people also argue against Maths, where the Muslim population is doubling every 10 years, yet when you say to them that the UK is on schedule to become a Muslim nation by the year XXXX, they deny it and say that you are being crazy, ignoring all data and demographics.

It is one of the reasons that I support Anjem Choudary, because he is correct.

I know you spend your days spouting anti-Muslim and anti-Immigrant non sense all over student room, but you don't actually believe the UK will be a Muslim nation soon, do you?
Original post by KingBradly
I completely agree, which is why I'm very reserved about the idea of banning the burqa, and why I think a cultural shift (which I believe is happening) is better. The severe mocking and criticism of fundamentalist or just old-fashioned Christianity over the 20th century does seem to have actually worked. These days Life of Brian would not cause so much controversy. Not even close. I don't see why Islam is different. One day, we should be able to mock Mohammad without fear.

And for the record, I don't think everyone should spend their lives shagging and getting pissed (but they can if they want to), I just think that freedom we have to do so is something to be very happy about, and I think the way we are quite open about sex is also something to be proud of. It's not so much the act itself I'm talking about, but the way sex is so apparent and important in so many important Western works of art, literature, and cinema. Equally, alcohol is too, going back to the Porter in Macbeth and far further. These aren't things to be ashamed of, they're things to be celebrated as parts of our vibrant and storied culture. Just as is homosexuality too.
Again, I agree too. It's farcical how people can mock Christianity without people batting an eyelid, yet if the same programme aired about Islam there'd be a nationwide outrage. People should be free to mock, praise or say whatever they want about any religion (except incitements to violence obviously), regardless of which one it is. I think one reason for the PC-ness of Islam is because most Muslims aren't white (note people who oppose Islam tend to get called a racist), yet most people don't seem to have made the distinction between an ideology and a race. For any who still haven't, they're quite different things (one being a genetic variation and the other being an idea, a human conjuration :redface:).

I replied to your other post btw.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MedioCentro97
I know you spend your days spouting anti-Muslim and anti-Immigrant non sense all over student room, but you don't actually believe the UK will be a Muslim nation soon, do you?

What do you consider "soon"?
What do you consider "soon"?

How about "future". Do you really think it? Where are the statistics to prove this could happen
Reply 46
As a Muslim, I must say the niqab (face covering) is ridiculous and unnecessary. A women could wear a hijab with normal clothes and it'd be enough, but it doesn't mean something drastic like a ban should be put in place for it.

The Burkini however, is NOT a face cover, it's just an easy cover for the rest of the body when you're at the beach. There is nothing wrong with that and I don't see why people would be against it. Not every women wants to be 95% naked.

This is what I dislike. On the surface, I don't disagree with your whole comment, but the part in bold is clearly a mildly reproachful, snooty, sly dig at Western culture, at the aspect of Western culture which is what women wear on the beach or while swimming.
Reply 47
I despise most religion but telling people what they can and can't wear, or what they can and can't believe is wrong. It would only be an act of an authoritarian government.

I have to keep convincing myself that British people aren't as fuelled by fear and hatred as the Trump-Americans and Burkini-banning-French, but with polls like that it makes it much harder.

I bet it will be, along with the rest of Europe, in 150-200 years.

You don't seem to know what you want, as I have said to you before, you have to pick one, you cannot wish for the choice of being able to publically mock Islamic figures and at the same time support traditional / strict Islamic beliefs / values / customs.
Reply 50

Do you think that the tolerance of Salafism/Wahhabism has had any good outcome? I see these sects rising whilst they were unknown 20 years ago.
Is it really that deep? lol
Original post by brxvebird
You literally said "it ties into sexism anyway". Your problem with it in that sense is that women are being oppressed and forced to wear it, right?
Yet here you are telling women the exact opposite, that they can't wear what they want, whether it be a burqa or a short skirt or a bikini it's wrong and it invalidates your argument completely. You are still taking women's choices away from them.

Here's where you clearly get me wrong.

Even if men were wearing the burka thing.

I would STILL...want it banned...because it's (I repeat) a security issue! No one can see who is under there and their billowy dresses can cover things carried underneath...Just because burka wearers happens to be women it doesn't mean that is my purpose. Stop being perverse. And AGAIN I am not particularly concerned about women's rights correlating to the burka BUT IT IS STILL A RAISED ISSUE from OTHERS. As an educated or at least pragmatic person, you have to take facts and historical/current events and social issues into consideration. That alone you'd think would get it removed.
You don't seem to know what you want, as I have said to you before, you have to pick one, you cannot wish for the choice of being able to publically mock Islamic figures and at the same time support traditional / strict Islamic beliefs / values / customs.

Exactly!!!! I literally said that to him hes like *crickets.*
I've had enough of the majority of British people recently...
This is what I dislike. On the surface, I don't disagree with your whole comment, but the part in bold is clearly a mildly reproachful, snooty, sly dig at Western culture, at the aspect of Western culture which is what women wear on the beach or while swimming.

You call it a dig, I say it's a fact. I love Western Culture (although I wouldn't say only wearing a bikini is western culture. Western culture should be to wear whatever you want, which ironically you oppose)
Reply 56
Original post by JoeyTr
I despise most religion but telling people what they can and can't wear

Do you also complain about laws forbidding indecent exposure, or naturism?

The laws already force people not to be completely naked; by this logic, I don't see why a law shouldn't order people not to be completely covered.

Original post by JoeyTr

or what they can and can't believe is wrong.

Nobody mentioned that.

Original post by JoeyTr
I have to keep convincing myself that British people aren't as fuelled by fear and hatred as the Trump-Americans and Burkini-banning-French, but with polls like that it makes it much harder.

People are indeed frightened by Islam for good reasons, and they despise it accordingly.
How about "future". Do you really think it? Where are the statistics to prove this could happen
As I said, the Muslim population is doubling every 10 years, that is clear.
I don't agree with this ban purely from a libertarian standpoint. I believe people should be able to wear whatever they want, the government shouldn't be able to dictate what people can and cannot wear, that's just too authoritarian.

Also what about freedom of religious expression? I'm an athiest and I think women wearing burqas is stupid, but I think religious people should express their religion however they want (as long as it doesn't harm other people), again the governement shouldn't be meddling in peoples lives like this.

Plus is this really a good idea? I mean I can understand that there are some muslim women forced to wear the burqa which is really wrong, but what about the rest who choose to wear it willingly. All I can see this doing is making muslims feel like their being persecuted and targeted, which will only breed contempt for the white majority in this country. At times like this do we really need to create more divisiveness between peope?
Does that mean I can wear a bright pink mankini and balaclava?

Quick Reply

Latest