The Student Room Group

How far to take third postgraduate qualification?

I study subjects at postgraduate level because I wish to teach them and don't like to be tied to one subject, especially as someone who needs to be picky about the hours I work due to health reasons.

I already hold an MA and an MSc. I am on my third postgraduate qualification and currently I am working towards the PgDip which should hopefully be finished by the end of the year. After this I'm not sure what to do:

Aim for a hat trick because that would be cool? Aim for the full masters because I know I can do it and want to show that I have the fullest grasp of the subject possible?

Or

Leave with the PgDip because it will save me some serious money and I'm fed up of being mega skint (and all the stresses that come with that)? Call it a day at PgDip because I have already demonstrated my ability to use research skills at masters level with my other two masters degrees?

Advice please :smile:*

Scroll to see replies

What are you collecting all these degrees for and who are you trying to prove something to? If jobs that you want to apply for require these degrees then you need them. If not I really don't see the point. Work experience generally counts for more than a load of diplomas.
Gotta agree with alleycat. It's great that you enjoy learning so much and enjoy exploring different subjects, but with both an MSc and an MA, unless you really need the full master's degree in this subject for some job you have in mind, I'd leave with the PGDip and start looking for jobs that would help alleviate your financial problems.
Who you know and experience are far more valuable than any degree. Get a job in the field you're studying, after earning some money you can decide if you really want to go back into education again. But it seems meaningless to get a third degree in something
I want to teach in FE. I want to teach the subject I am debating over re PgDip vs full masters. That's why it's an important decision.

I genuinely enjoy studying at masters level so there is nothing I lose from doing it other than the financial limitations it places on me. I've already got a decent chunk of work experience because I'm in my late twenties.
Reply 5
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I want to teach in FE. I want to teach the subject I am debating over re PgDip vs full masters. That's why it's an important decision.

I genuinely enjoy studying at masters level so there is nothing I lose from doing it other than the financial limitations it places on me. I've already got a decent chunk of work experience because I'm in my late twenties.

Why don't you apply for a doctorate, you should be amply qualified?
Original post by john2054
Why don't you apply for a doctorate, you should be amply qualified?

I'd only be able to do it if I could get fully funded and even then I'm not sure I'm in the best of health to make the commitment.

It's on my to do list to do a PhD but finishing my current postgraduate course in a way that does my efforts so far on it justice is important to me.

If you want to teach the subject at FE then I'd suggest sticking it out a little bit longer to get the degree rather than the PgDip, for academic credibility. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but you won't go through life wondering whether you should have stayed on.
Reply 8
I'd only be able to do it if I could get fully funded and even then I'm not sure I'm in the best of health to make the commitment.

It's on my to do list to do a PhD but finishing my current postgraduate course in a way that does my efforts so far on it justice is important to me.

https://www.findaphd.com/funding/guides/uk-phd-loans-scheme.aspx

funding will be available from 2018, or so it would seem?
https://www.findaphd.com/funding/guides/uk-phd-loans-scheme.aspx

funding will be available from 2018, or so it would seem?

Oh. My. God.

This is brilliant brilliant news! This makes it possible for me. Seriously good news :smile:*

Well then you must do a full masters since your undergraduate degree is unrelated and therefore your chances of teaching that subject at any level are close to zero with just a PgDip and no PGCE.
Original post by macromicro
Well then you must do a full masters since your undergraduate degree is unrelated and therefore your chances of teaching that subject at any level are close to zero with just a PgDip and no PGCE.

Yep my undergraduate degree is totally unrelated.

I'm doing what was formally known as the ptlls/ctlls/dtlls route into FE teaching.

An MA could make me more competitive even though a PgDip shows that I've dealt with a set range of specific subject content. Hmm...*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
If you want to teach the subject at FE then I'd suggest sticking it out a little bit longer to get the degree rather than the PgDip, for academic credibility. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but you won't go through life wondering whether you should have stayed on.

That's a key factor in the dilemma. Financially I'm like "stop the ride I wanna get off" lol! But it would be disappointing to have a "what if" type vibe following me around.
Hello again.

I've been emailing my tutor with questions on this and I'll let yous know how I get on. I've worked out that in order for me to do the full masters I'm looking at around another 12 to 18 months of financial challenge to cover it.

Tempted to take the PgDip at the moment. It's a decision I'm making anxiously maybe but financially I could do with the relief and when it comes to applying for FE teaching jobs I will be up against applicants who have done no postgraduate study and some who may have done a phd so it's all relative I guess/hope.

Maybe it's a damned if I do and damned if I don't kind of thing. Initially I was only planning to to the PgCert.
Hello again.

I've been emailing my tutor with questions on this and I'll let yous know how I get on. I've worked out that in order for me to do the full masters I'm looking at around another 12 to 18 months of financial challenge to cover it.

Tempted to take the PgDip at the moment. It's a decision I'm making anxiously maybe but financially I could do with the relief and when it comes to applying for FE teaching jobs I will be up against applicants who have done no postgraduate study and some who may have done a phd so it's all relative I guess/hope.

Maybe it's a damned if I do and damned if I don't kind of thing. Initially I was only planning to to the PgCert.

I will also need to do a £8k and one year conversion degree, to get on the masters of my choice, and i can only start this conversion degree in september 2017, it's a bit of a killer huh!?? Plus i have to fund it myself.
I will also need to do a £8k and one year conversion degree, to get on the masters of my choice, and i can only start this conversion degree in september 2017, it's a bit of a killer huh!?? Plus i have to fund it myself.

what subject is it? Some subjects will take people on a masters degree even if their undergraduate degree is unrelated.
Hello again.

I have to say, I can't see how you would get a job in FE teaching of a low demand subject when you have neither an undergraduate nor masters degree in the subject and little experience? I think realistically your options are to either go all the way, i.e. MA (and perhaps PhD) or teach something you are qualified in.

You're right, you may come up against applicants who have done no postgraduate study but they will have an undergraduate degree in that subject or substantial experience or they won't get the job!
what subject is it? Some subjects will take people on a masters degree even if their undergraduate degree is unrelated.

The masters which i want a place on is the mental health research degree at notts (a top university), and they have told me that i need a psychology degree, or a conversion degree, with a 2.1, to get a place. Plus i have talked to the programme leader who has both confirmed that i will need this psychology element, and that i should get a place with it. But as i already said, the conversion degree at notts is full up for this year. I don't mind taking another year out though. I need to get my meds cut down as well.
Reply 18
You're also going to need some kind of teaching qualification, so maybe that would be a good target, rather than a complete Masters?

These days you're going to need a PGCE/PCET or Level 5 Diploma in Education in Teaching, before you get a sniff at an FE teaching job. Things may have moved on since you started on your teaching path. Details here:

https://www.feadvice.org.uk/i-want-work-fe-skills-sector/i-want-be-teacher-fe-skills/teaching-qualifications-fe-skills-sector

A PGCE will be fully funded by Student Finance, so that would sort out money issues. Whilst a PhD would be preferable for HE teaching, it may not be an advantage for FE teaching - especially if you don't have a teaching qualification or teaching experience.

Being in your late twenties, you really need to commit to a career rather than doing another three years of a PhD which is unlikely to get you into your desired FE teaching role. You'll come out of it in your early thirties with no work experience and no teaching qualifications. That wouldn't look great on a job application for teaching at any level. You may be at the point where you have to stop studying and put your money (or SF's money, at least!) where your mouth is.
Already doing the teacher training. Am currently doing the level 4 certificate with the aim of doing the level 5 diploma. All very part time as I'm actually not very well...got a long term illness so I have to factor a lot around that.*

I've worked. I've totally worked. I've worked whilst studying. I value study to the extent that I've always done it alongside work. It's not an either or.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending