The Student Room Group

Should university be free

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Depends. Does he have a Scottish accent and a dog?

If I marry a Scot I get Scot citizenship :colone:

For some reason your VM wall doesn't exist so I can't reply to you...? :laugh:
And the view conversation bit doesn't work either

Thought you had got yourself banned or something :rolleyes:
Original post by #ChaosKass
Surely a year of serving your country is the most productive thing to do at the age when you're in peak physical condition?

This is such a blatant troll :biggrin:
Original post by sdotd
No. I would like to see unis scale back on mickey mouse degrees though. Also too many people go to university, only the brightest should go and not people who can't get Cs at A Level

IMHO: one of the reasons unis offer 'mickey mouse' degrees, is that ppl sign up for them. Before i started my engineering degree pgm [aeons ago], i found and interviewed 5 real engineers [NOT technicians] - ppl with a minimum of a bachelors degree. I asked them: "How much do you make, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs? What would you do differently, if you had your education to do over?" Questions like that. Two of them were a LOT of help, the rest not so much. I later did a masters degree [in engineering]. Through my entire academic career, i often asked other students (and faculty) whether they had done similar things. I NEVER found anyone who had. How can you possibly consider spending 5 or 6 yrs of your life, and a LOT of money, doing a lot of work, to end up with something that is basically unsalable? There are tons of things to do that are enjoyable. Many of them you don't know about. WHY would you deliberately select one of them to do for a career that pays poorly? To me that makes NO sense at all. Obviously (to me) the first thing you want to do - is to research your potential degree pgm, to see if you can earn a living at it, and if it will outlive you - i.e. you'll have a job in it as long as you want it. Cheers.
Original post by ValerieKR
Except by 'wide variety of work' you mean instead of two years in a skilled profession you have two years of babysitting or being a receptionist or theme park operator :s
And right now there isn't even a fraction of the required numbers of jobs like that for everyone who wants to go to uni to get one (there's barely enough for people who don't want to go to uni), and the ones that exist don't pay enough to support rent for the people who can't live it home/don't have parents who will pay for their food/utilities now that they're no longer legally responsible and save up for uni? Some people take 20 odd years paying back their student loan because they can't afford to do it any other way - two years of lower work is nowhere near equivalent to that
And it means the country gets two years less of skilled workers - doing the things I mentioned earlier (5% of that skilled worker's working life)
And 'all this experience' will not help them get a job - because everyone will have it.

And again, all of these problems arise because... you want young people to have it tough (for some reason?), and you've added life experience (and the debunked variety of work) - I would say uni gives far more and better life experience than factory work (the only sector which has the capacity to expand to support so many people)?

When i was in engineering uni [BSEE candidate] I worked in the summers and during vaccy periods as a technician [what are called 'engineers' in the Uk]. IMHO, someone in a professional degree pgm [engineering, medicine, law, architecture, etc should work in their chosen profession if they possibly can. About 1980, "student loans" became the rage on this side of the pond. The result was that tuition for a one semester course went from about $680 to over $3000 for the same course. I was doing my masters at the time, and i can ASSURE YOU that the quality of instruction did NOT improve as a result. My uni [George Washington, Uni], hired the Gallop org to find out what GW had to do to improve the prestige of their degrees. The answer came back "you have to raise your tuition". Doing nothing else, they basically tripled the price of their courses - and it worked - they moved up in the rankings. If anything, they got in more "adjunct faculty" who could not "Speek englis tooo gud!" And they couldn't teach either!!! One winning combination - if you are interested in a law degree, is to do either engineering or medicine as your undergrad degree before law school. A mate of mine's kid did an elect engineering degree [BSEE], followed by a law degree [LLD]. About 10 yrs out of school - he was making about $350,000. You CAN live on that. Cheers.
Bring it back to 3k/year
Original post by Rabbit20164
When i was in engineering uni [BSEE candidate] I worked in the summers and during vaccy periods as a technician [what are called 'engineers' in the Uk]. IMHO, someone in a professional degree pgm [engineering, medicine, law, architecture, etc should work in their chosen profession if they possibly can. About 1980, "student loans" became the rage on this side of the pond. The result was that tuition for a one semester course went from about $680 to over $3000 for the same course. I was doing my masters at the time, and i can ASSURE YOU that the quality of instruction did NOT improve as a result. My uni [George Washington, Uni], hired the Gallop org to find out what GW had to do to improve the prestige of their degrees. The answer came back "you have to raise your tuition". Doing nothing else, they basically tripled the price of their courses - and it worked - they moved up in the rankings. If anything, they got in more "adjunct faculty" who could not "Speek englis tooo gud!" And they couldn't teach either!!! One winning combination - if you are interested in a law degree, is to do either engineering or medicine as your undergrad degree before law school. A mate of mine's kid did an elect engineering degree [BSEE], followed by a law degree [LLD]. About 10 yrs out of school - he was making about $350,000. You CAN live on that. Cheers.

First part is only related to certain types of degree and is therefore irrelevant unless you want different systems for different subjects, which is another topic in itself and comes with loads of red flags.

The huge rise in cost accompanied with a fall in teaching quality is something that happened in the US and didn't happen in other countries - because the US's education system is bought out and not properly governed - if they spent half as much on education as they did on military and weren't so corrupt they could police it the same way any European country does and not have had the ridiculous huge rise. The problem is not the student loans (which work very well in many countries across the world) it's the US system.

And finally you're saying 'a mate of mine earned loads of money after obtaining degree X and therefore everybody will be able to live at university without a maintenance loan'? That doesn't make any sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Absolutely not - higher education is not a human right. You want it, you pay for it.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that the current fees are not enough, though the proposed tiered system looks somewhat promising. Ideally the student loan scheme would be scrapped entirely and fees would have to be paid upfront - teach all those workshy 18 year olds that you can't have everything handed to you on a plate.
If it was like that only the spoiled rich kids would be able to go. My family is poor. How in the world am I supposed to find £27000? Get a sugar daddy? Lmao. Every penny I borrow will be paid back. Otherwise i'm doomed to a *****y life working in some shop for the minimum wage. SO GLAD YOU'RE NOT IN CHARGE OF THIS ****. My future would be doomed!
Original post by Proxenus
Bring it back to 3k/year

Totally agree! Instead of paying £270000 I would pay £9000
Yes and no.

I think they should be reduced to around £5k a year for most people, but people from poorer families pay less, people from richer families pay more; the same way maintenance loans work.

Provide free or subsidised education and maintenance loans for people who were in the armed forces, and students (both British and non-British) who are high achievers and will stay in the UK post-graduation. I know this already happens to a certain extent but it would be good to see a situation similar to the US' post-9/11 GI Bill in terms of military service, and for there to be an alternative if you're medically unfit for service (I mean something like asthma or epilepsy not something which isn't permanent).

The same way Wales and Scotland do, England and NI should also look into providing subsidised education in the same way.
Absolutely not - higher education is not a human right. You want it, you pay for it.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that the current fees are not enough, though the proposed tiered system looks somewhat promising. Ideally the student loan scheme would be scrapped entirely and fees would have to be paid upfront - teach all those workshy 18 year olds that you can't have everything handed to you on a plate.

You really are a nutter.

To be honest I think all 18 year olds should have to enrol in a year of compulsory unpaid military service anyway.

You're having a laugh, right?
Lmao, If i were to pay my tuition fees through my sales assistant job at Next I currently have while I study at Uni anyways to cover my food. I think I would've only paid about 1,500 of it in the space of a year. Loool, get real Chaos Kass!! I'd be at next for my life time to pay all university fees as a sales advisor haha!!
I would love for it to be free! But it's only a dream and it's not going to happen in the UK in this century!

Sorry but you're soooo wrong.
"workshy"? Seriously?!
Do you really expect 18years olds to cope with all the exams and school on daily basis + work?!
Do you expect them to earn enough to pay for uni, food, halls etc?
That is purely retarded of you to say!
Who would actually go to Uni with those costs and without a scholarship?
RICH KIDS! Of whom parents can pay for their education. That's it...
Why is everyone responding to ChaosKass who nicked the photo from a TV programme and is clearly a troll? Please stop feeding the trolls, they'll just come back for more.
Nope. My parents think it should and that the government should close tax loopholes and cut war. It's so cool how much I've swung to the right compared with them.

I'd raise the cap to 12k and abolish state contributions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fortunately where i live university is free :smile: (Unless if you live there you would obviously have to pay accommodation fees).
yeah it should be free. at least 3k would be decent

Sounds like the attitude of someone with a rather heavy chip on their shoulder.
I don't think it should be free, but definitely reduced than it is now (it's annoying that that option isn't on the poll)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending