The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dear christs admission,

I am applying for a100 medicine with the following:

Mathematics: 300/300 UMS

Biology : 298/300 UMS

Chemistry paper 1 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 56, B boundary being 49)
Chemistry paper 2 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 52, B boundary being 45)

Physics paper 1: 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 46, B boundary being 40)
Physics paper 2: 57/70 raw marks (A boundary being 45, B boundary being 40)

My questions are:
1: for my linear subjects, physics and chemistry, are my raw marks high enough to be worth declaring ?
2: if they are, do I state the individual marks for each exam and the respective A boundary and B boundary? Or just A boundary or the whole boundary from A down to U.
3: how will you use the boundaries to assess how good the raw Mark is? I.e. Will you use extrapolation of the linear relationship of the grade boundaries to gauge how good the raw Mark is? By this I mean, the gap between a C (60% UMS equivalent) and a B (70% UMS equivalent) is say 5 marks, and the gap between the B and the A is 5 marks, so 90% UMS would be another 5 marks above the A boundary, and 100% UMS equivalent will be another additional 5 marks above the 90% mark. Do you assess raw marks in this manner? Or is it more holistic in the sense that, oh this candidate dropped x marks on these papers. That's not very good because he dropped X marks.
4: if I do provide these raw marks, can I upload it as an electronic transcript, along with the boundaries for my subject instead of through the reference?
5: in terms of my current academic record, on a scale of 1-10, how competitive of an applicant do you think I am currently, ignoring the bmat and interview as of now.
Is it good enough to apply to cambridge for medicine ( more in terms of my raw marks/ ability in physics and chemisy) ?

Sorry for the incredibly long post, and your help is greatly appreciated. i fully understand if you are not allowed / cannot answer some of the questions I have asked.
Thank you so much for your time!
Hello!
I'd like to apply to Christ's for 2017 entry in History. However, I'll only turn 18 in the May of my first year. Will this be a problem for you?
Thank you!
Original post by Lementation
Dear christs admission,

I am applying for a100 medicine with the following:

Mathematics: 300/300 UMS

Biology : 298/300 UMS

Chemistry paper 1 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 56, B boundary being 49)
Chemistry paper 2 : 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 52, B boundary being 45)

Physics paper 1: 65/70 raw marks (A boundary being 46, B boundary being 40)
Physics paper 2: 57/70 raw marks (A boundary being 45, B boundary being 40)

My questions are:
1: for my linear subjects, physics and chemistry, are my raw marks high enough to be worth declaring ?
2: if they are, do I state the individual marks for each exam and the respective A boundary and B boundary? Or just A boundary or the whole boundary from A down to U.
3: how will you use the boundaries to assess how good the raw Mark is? I.e. Will you use extrapolation of the linear relationship of the grade boundaries to gauge how good the raw Mark is? By this I mean, the gap between a C (60% UMS equivalent) and a B (70% UMS equivalent) is say 5 marks, and the gap between the B and the A is 5 marks, so 90% UMS would be another 5 marks above the A boundary, and 100% UMS equivalent will be another additional 5 marks above the 90% mark. Do you assess raw marks in this manner? Or is it more holistic in the sense that, oh this candidate dropped x marks on these papers. That's not very good because he dropped X marks.
4: if I do provide these raw marks, can I upload it as an electronic transcript, along with the boundaries for my subject instead of through the reference?
5: in terms of my current academic record, on a scale of 1-10, how competitive of an applicant do you think I am currently, ignoring the bmat and interview as of now.
Is it good enough to apply to cambridge for medicine ( more in terms of my raw marks/ ability in physics and chemisy) ?

Sorry for the incredibly long post, and your help is greatly appreciated. i fully understand if you are not allowed / cannot answer some of the questions I have asked.
Thank you so much for your time!

What were your GCSE's like?
10 A*'s 2 A's
Original post by sweeneyrod
What were your GCSE's like?
Hello, I'm a Canadian student planning to apply for History this year.

On UCAS and the COPA I've noticed that SAT results are entered separately by subscores. For History, would scores in Reading and Writing be more relevant than Maths? I have 760 in Reading, 750 in Writing, and 670 in Maths, which produces an aggregate score lower than most other applicants. I really regret not having studied more in preparation, and now I worry that my SAT will weigh down the rest of my application.

In terms of other marks, I have good grades from my last school term and 5s in AP World History, European History, and Art History (all self-studied). This year I expect my school marks to stay in the high 90s, and I'm planning to self-study English Lit, French, and German as well. Would I be a competitive applicant on paper? Of course, I know that the PS, teacher reference, subject assessment and interviews are also very important.

Thanks!

(This is just because I'm curious: Do college pets just wander around college grounds all day?)
Reply 1145
Hi Dr Spencer,

I'm a Northern Ireland student thinking of applying for Economics.

Results to date:
Maths (92% UMS in AS; 86% in A2)
History (94% UMS)
Latin (88% UMS)

I will complete History and Latin A2 this year plus Further Maths AS and A2.

I have seen the sample pre-interview tests on the Economics subject pages but wondered if there were any other examples of the Mathematics MCQs. From my research on-line, the standard of the questions is higher than A level or the Senior Maths Challenge whilst the format is unlike STEP - does you know what the questions are based upon and whether there are any other sample questions that I could use for practice purposes?

Finally, many thanks for taking the time to provide so much useful information.
Hello,

I've just got my A2 results and I got 2A*s, 1A and 1B, Chemistry, Mathematics, Chinese and Further Maths respectively and I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences 2017 entry but not sure if it's worth the risk of applying and taking a year out with a B?

I've also done my IGCSE when I was 14 years old (2014) in which I've achieved 7A*s, 1A. Would really appreciate for any help/advices!

Many thanks.
Original post by Dave5634
Hi I have a question regarding how universities use GCSE results. I received a poor grade in ad maths (D) but As and A* in other subjects including an A* in maths. I am taking Maths and Further Maths as well as Computing and German for A level and would like to go to either Imperial or Bath to do Computer Science. Their requirements for A-level are A*AA and AAA respectively. My question is this, do I need to retake my GCSE Ad Maths in order to potentially get an offer or should I just focus on doing well in my first year of A-levels. I am not clear how much weight is given to GCSEs when universities are making offers.

Thank you

I would focus on your A Levels now. We will look at your GCSE results and note the D in Add Maths but, providing you do well in your Maths modules then there is no reason why it would be a major problem.
Hello, me again! You previously answered that raw marks are not being asked for, and I know that for unreformed subjects UMS is still being looked at in the normal manner.

As I want to apply for medicine, and In my only subject with UMS (maths) I got a UMS average of only 90, as this is my only one would this mean I am really disadvantaged and should not try applying? it is a shame as I really have my heart set on Cambridge :frown:
Original post by Jacob2215
Hello hello,
First of all, thank you very much for making this thread, brilliant advice all round!
Last year for AS I didn't get the grades needed to apply to Cambridge (all B's, all a couple of marks off an A, grr), so instead of applying during my A2's I decided to have a year out and apply with my existing A2 grades. I managed to up my game to an A* in Edexcel Maths (96% in A2, with 98% in C4), along with an A in AQA physics and a B in AQA Chemistry (dropped Psychology after achieving a B at AS). Whilst completing my A2's I also began AS Edexcel Further Mathematics, achieving an A, and I am currently teaching myself the A2 and will take the exams next year (Aiming for another A*). If I manage to achieve an A* next year I will be over the requirements to study Mathematics (A*A*AB). However, as I'm completing my overall A-levels over 3 years (whilst only doing each subject for 2), I'm extremely unsure as to whether I qualify. During my year out I am also tutoring y13's in Maths, along with completing different work experiences which all include different elements of Mathematics (I.e computer animation, audio mechanics, and web design), whilst also learning how to program javascript to make some of my own websites. I also achieved 7 A*'s , 2 A's and 3 B's at GCSE if that helps! I'm writing to ask whether there would be anything else I could do to improve my application (besides STEP, which I will definitely be doing), as I've always dreamed of studying Maths at Cambridge! Thanks!

Thank you for your question. Studying your A levels over three years is not normally the way to securing an offer. You can apply but taking three years to complete Maths and FM is unlikely to inspire confidence in our Maths fellows so you need to be prepared for that.
Original post by *Noodles*
I aspire to do law and maybe even apply to Cambridge! But I got a C in GCSE maths. I know law is competitive especially at Cambridge, but I've been given the chance to retake it in November. I don't know much about how you view retakes but I feel like doing it would be better for me in the future and give me more options. I know there are other aspects you focus on more such as your A-levels, but what would be better either applying with the C or retake and get a higher grade?

I would not bother taking the resit if I were you. A C in Maths is not a major problem for a humanities subject and you will be better off concentrating on the future.
Original post by qwertyuiop1998
How will the requirements for auto-pooling change with the omission of UMS?

Thanks

All of the old ones will remain in place (for students from Wales and Northern Ireland, those doing international A Levels and if students are doing three unreformed AS Levels) but there are no new ones based on reformed AS levels or on the admissions assessments.
Original post by Unknown_12345
Hello!

I want to study medicine and was just wondering whether I would make a competitive applicant in light of my grades. At GCSE I got 10A*s and 1B in English Literature. At AS, our school took all the exams, and I got As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious studies. However, I do not know if my UMS is sufficient: Maths C1: 98, C2: 95 and S1: 87, and RS Paper 1: 100, Paper 2: 67. Will the second UMS in RS be alright and allowed as an 'unlucky' module?

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthiness of the post. :colondollar:

Hello and thank you for your question. You grades look good to apply. You don't need to worry about RS, it's not relevant to studying medical science so won't figure in our thinking significantly.
@Christ's Admissions
I just want to know how many people applying post results who have 'only' met the offer get accepted, is it usually the case that to have a decent chance of success one must have an extra A* e.g. A*A*A for an arts course or A*A*A* for sciences?
get some last questions in before thread closes lol
So I never considered applying to Oxbridge before my AS level results came out. I got 4As and the UMS of the 3 subjects I am going to be taking on are as follows:

History: 185/200
Politics: 184/200
German: 183/200

(So basically my UMS average is about 92% and my A-Levels are unreformed)

I'm dropping Geography in which I got 170/200 UMS and at GCSE I got 6A*s and 4As.

Would these be below the average of a typical successful Oxbridge applicant? I am planning to apply for joint history and german.

I would like to attempt Oxbridge but I am also worried that my slight shyness will let me down if I got an interview. I think I would be fine being taught in tutorials because one of my classes has only me in it so I am used to small groups but I am worried I would freeze up at the interview.

Also I see that on the UCAS application I have to mention my class sizes. Would getting virtually one on one tutoring in German make Cambridge reluctant to interview me? I am not getting one on one tutoring by choice- I was the only one who decided to take it on to A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,Thank you for the starting this thread. When I was in year 11 my school offered AS maths a year early, and consequently took A2 mathematics in year 12. I'm doing the full A level Further maths in year 13. i realise that my school has an unusual system, but would this be all right (technically it is doing A level maths over three years), or do I need my teacher to explain this in her reference? Thank you.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hello, would you mind clearing up the UMS marks system at Cambridge, since I have heard different things from different people: Do they look at average UMS/ subject UMS/module UMS? Because I intend to resit one module in which I didn't do as well as I could have-would this rule my application out? I still got 5As at AS
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thank you for your question. You grades look good to apply. You don't need to worry about RS, it's not relevant to studying medical science so won't figure in our thinking significantly.

Thank you so much for your time, i really appreciate it!
Original post by AnnietheGrannie
Hello, would you mind clearing up the UMS marks system at Cambridge, since I have heard different things from different people: Do they look at average UMS/ subject UMS/module UMS? Because I intend to resit one module in which I didn't do as well as I could have-would this rule my application out? I still got 5As at AS

Look at the top of page 58 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tucostacos
Hi there!

I recently got my AS results and am not sure whether they would be enough to apply to Cambridge. I want to study Modern Languages (Spanish, in particular) and got an A grade in Spanish, A in History (although, this was a mock as my History course is linear meaning I take all my exams at the end of Year 13), a B in Politics and a C in Maths (which I'm dropping for obvious reasons). I also got a D3 grade in a Cambridge Pre-U research project and am not sure whether it counts as a short course or a principal subject? Or whether it can be used as a substitute for an AS/A Level in applications? (I got 132.5 tariff points for it, if that helps as a reference). I also achieved 5A*'s, 3A's and 2B's at GCSE. So in conclusion, I have three questions:1) Are my grades good enough for Cambridge?2) How significant is my Pre-U grade and can it be used to my advantage in an application?3) Will my Maths grade have a serious impact on my application even if I'm dropping it for Year 13?*Extra info - My Maths grade was brought down by one of the 3 modules in which I got an E; I got an A and a high B in the other two modules.Many thanks for any help!

It might help to mention your UMS for any subjects that have it. Eg Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest