The Student Room Group

living off £17 a week and NOT dying?

Scroll to see replies

All of these suggestions are good for cutting costs but not really practical in the long term, the op needs a student bank account with a large 0% overdraft and a part time job asap. You might be able to buy some really cheap food for £17 a week but things like toiletries, cleaning products, study materials and travel costs make it nigh on impossible to actually live off of that amount.
Original post by Judge Judy
It lasts longer and tastes the same as real milk when mixed with water.
lol powdered milk tastes like ****, don't kid yourself
Food is definitely achievable with that amount number one is pasta bakes just look at prices per weights to find the best priced pasta, sometimes what looks like the best deal might not be the best. You can buy the really cheap pasta sauces. But I'd recommend learning how to make a decent tomato sauce using tins of chopped tomatoes, and pasta. This can be freezer into portions then you can add onions garlic and a variety of different spices or seasonings . I recommend changing what you season each portion with so you don't feel like you are eating the same thing all the time.
Cheap tins of beans and spaghetti hoops are useful, as you can either buy cheap bread or freeze reduced loafs. Also grab some cheap packet noodles/pastas from a discount store like home bargains for when you want convince.
In the freezer section you will find lots of everyday value stuff that will come in handy like chicken nuggets, cheap sausages and obviously lots of veg.
Long life veg can be brought fresh particularly things like onions just go for the cheapest amount per weight, and the cheapest white potatoes are essential because you can make roasts, chips, mash etc
Your main issue will be meat (if you eat it) but one of my fave meals is mash, frozen veg, some stuffing (about 10p a pack) and really cheap gravy.
If you fancy something sweet supermarket brand biscuits are good, and there are lots of standard cheap cakes you can make.
Also cheap crisps of bags of salted peanuts are good for a snack at home or at uni if you get tempted. If you have long days at uni though I would advise taking cold leftovers or sandwiches with cheap fillings like him etc.

I have rambled on, so i do hope this is readable :smile:

Final tips
Reduced sections are the best, and the later you go the better the deals. In my experience the more expensive shops tend to have the best reductions. For example marks and sparks reduce massive fresh loafs to a few pence, and fresh ready meals to about 50p

You need lots of seasonings and spices might be best if you can ask a family member etc for a selection as a leaving present

You need to shop around try all supermarkets, bargain stores and markets. The market stalls near me are really cheap, and they will do deals if you ask for them.

The only thing I haven't really covered is cleaning products, toiletries etc. Cleaning products can be cheap if your not fussy, but toiletries is quite hard to advise on as everyone's needs are different.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Breakfast
. A good tip for buying bread is to freeze it in sandwich bags, 2 slices per bag. This means that you don't have to eat a whole loaf of bread yourself within the space of a couple of days, and the leftovers won't go off.

Hey this sounds really stupid but when you defrost bread doesn't it go really soggy? Also to defrost it do you have to put it in the toaster or microwave or does that make it go to toast? I haven't really got the hang of cooking yet so I'm probably gonna die when I go to uni :smile: thanks x
Original post by abc_123_
Hey this sounds really stupid but when you defrost bread doesn't it go really soggy? Also to defrost it do you have to put it in the toaster or microwave or does that make it go to toast? I haven't really got the hang of cooking yet so I'm probably gonna die when I go to uni :smile: thanks x

I've never had soggy bread from defrosting it. If you wrap the bread in cling film and then seal it in a bag (squeeze air out of the bag) then you should be fine. I just leave it on the kitchen counter on top of a towel overnight to defrost :smile:.
You can defrost bread by taking it out of the freezer and putting it on the side.
It's been recommended already but https://cookingonabootstrap.com/category/recipes-food/ is a good thing to read. TINS are your friend!

For cooking and freezing then anything cheesey (lasagne/pasta bake/shepherds/cottage pie/fish pie) these things are great: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13249/Traditional-Enamel-16cm-Oblong-Pie-Dish (and very cheap - and even cheaper at the moment) get 5-10 so you can get through a couple of weeks. Tinfoil is better than clingfilm for storing things in the freezer IME.

For anything that you'd reheat in the microwave (spag bol, fried rice (make sure you cool the rice quickly before freezing) etc) then these are great: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/foil-food-bags-storage/sainsburys-plastic-containers-x8 they don't last too well when frozen so I'd double up and get 16.

For a free decent meal watch out for the Christian Union at your university - they'll usually have a weekly free meal of some sort available (bbq/soup and a roll etc).

Pick up sauce sachets when you can (and salt/pepper/sugar)...save your cash for a jar of piri piri/worcestershire sauce or similar that will help liven up other recipes. The same for napkins (save your kitchen roll money to spend on cleaning products)

Learn to bake lovely stuff and sell muffins/cupcakes/traybakes (traybakes would be the cheapest in terms of costs for equipment) to your flatmates/friends. You'll get something sweet which will liven up your diet and your friends wont object to 50p for a cake. You'll either make a profit or cover your costs.

If you get good then offer to cook for your friends.
Following my initial post, I have received numerous PMs from people asking for recipes so I just wanted to let people know that I'm compiling a list of easy, cost effective recipes to share with you all. It won't be posted until after I've finished work, but just a heads up that it's coming.

No, it does not go soggy. I do it all the time. Just Before the sell by date on the bread you put it in the freezer then only take out the amount your going to eat so i only take 1 or 2 out to defrost. I just put it on a plate or sometimes cover it with another plate and leave it til it's defrosted or if i can't be bothered to wait and want to eat it straightaway i just take it out of freezer and put it in microwave for 2 minutes or oven for a few minutes if i'm making a sandwhich or if i want toast just put straight in the toaster or oven. You don't need to defrost first for making toast.
And can't be bothered to wait for cheese on toast so i just put the defrosted bread and cheese on top then put in microwave for 10 minutes and it tastes just as good.
I don't like normal burgers unless it's from mcdonalds or burger king so in Iceland the normal burgers taste awful but their hot & spicy jalapeno beefburgers taste really good, i also buy their frozen burger buns too so if i can't be bothered to wait to defrost the buns i just put them in the microwave for 5 or 10 minutes and it's not soggy.
You can also buy bag of frozen onions and frozen mixed peppers in Iceland as this comes in handy if you run out of fresh onions and saves the pain of cutting them up

You can also buy bag of frozen onions and frozen mixed peppers in Iceland as this comes in handy if you run out of fresh onions and saves the pain of cutting them up

thanks :smile: x how do you know when the bread is defrosted and also are frozen veggies less healthy than normal ones? Xx
thanks :smile: x how do you know when the bread is defrosted and also are frozen veggies less healthy than normal ones? Xx

You wait 10 or 20 minutes then it should be defrosted by then or after waiting that amount of time just touch or press it with your finger to see if it's soft.
I don't know if frozen veggies are less healthy but i don't think it matters as long as you are eating them. You can buy fresh and frozen but if you are short of money and can't afford fresh then frozen veg is good because it willl ast longer in the freezer or you can buy fresh veg in the market and put them in the freezer so they last long.

I hardly ever buy fresh veg even though i love them. I can't always afford it or if i can afford them i choose to treat myself to my favourite wine Lumbrusco not Lambrini which i hate or i waste money on other things like chocolates, crisps, biscuits, cakes, etc instead of buying fresh veg but i make up for it by at least just buying frozen veg like peas, sweetcorn, carrots, etc from Iceland because they are only £1 but in Sainsburys and other supermarkets they are £1 50 but Aldi , Lidl sell them for 89p or £1
If i did not buy frozen veg i would never make the effort to eat veg very often
I also buy a bag of frozen french fries in Iceland. I forgot to mention that in my other reply.
Also always look in the pound shops once a week or once a month because they sometimes sell recipe books
You wait 10 or 20 minutes then it should be defrosted by then or after waiting that amount of time just touch or press it with your finger to see if it's soft.
I don't know if frozen veggies are less healthy but i don't think it matters as long as you are eating them. You can buy fresh and frozen but if you are short of money and can't afford fresh then frozen veg is good because it willl ast longer in the freezer or you can buy fresh veg in the market and put them in the freezer so they last long.

I hardly ever buy fresh veg even though i love them. I can't always afford it or if i can afford them i choose to treat myself to my favourite wine Lumbrusco not Lambrini which i hate or i waste money on other things like chocolates, crisps, biscuits, cakes, etc instead of buying fresh veg but i make up for it by at least just buying frozen veg like peas, sweetcorn, carrots, etc from Iceland because they are only £1 but in Sainsburys and other supermarkets they are £1 50 but Aldi , Lidl sell them for 89p or £1
If i did not buy frozen veg i would never make the effort to eat veg very often
I also buy a bag of frozen french fries in Iceland. I forgot to mention that in my other reply.
Also always look in the pound shops once a week or once a month because they sometimes sell recipe books

Are you a vegetarian or do you eat meat? If you do eat meat is it expensive and can you buy it frozen so it doesn't look weird and slimy? Xx :smile:
Are you a vegetarian or do you eat meat? If you do eat meat is it expensive and can you buy it frozen so it doesn't look weird and slimy? Xx :smile:

You can buy frozen meat, chicken and it's not expensive. It depends what your buying and how many portions there are. Just look at the different types in different supermarkets to compare the price.
I eat meat and i prefer buying frozen chicken fillets but only because you get more in them than fresh chicken fillets. I prefer mini fillets but in Aldi it does not say it's mini one's but i still buy them because they are cheaper at £3 33. But if i do buy fresh meat, chicken i freeze them so it does not go off and to thaw them out quicker i put them in a pan of cold water for 20 or 30 minutes
I don't like touching meat, chicken so i use a fork to hold it down while cutting it into small pieces by doing it that way it saves me having to wash my hands so often as touching it is messy.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Following my initial post, I have received numerous PMs from people asking for recipes so I just wanted to let people know that I'm compiling a list of easy, cost effective recipes to share with you all. It won't be posted until after I've finished work, but just a heads up that it's coming.

That's really nice of you and after posting it on here you should consider writing your own little simple recipe cook book and sell it for students or anyone who is not great at cooking and you can make up some of your own recipes to fill the book out. Lots of people do it. And anyone can write a cook book.
You can call yours A Students guide to survival cook book or A Students guide to Avoiding Starvation or a funny and better title than that
I don't really like cooking so i just use salt and pepper on most things and i don't use other spices a lot but i don't need to because salt and pepper is enough and it still tastes good. Years ago i made my mum a roast chicken and all i did was rub salt and pepper on it and she asked me what spices i used because she said it was lovely so she was surprised i did not coat it in lots of different spices like she always does. So when i have looked at other cook books there's too much ingredients to add so i don't bother. I'm sure lots of people are like that so with your simple recipes maybe it could make you lots of money.

A couple of months ago I was walking down the street and a woman asked me if i like cooking i said no so she told me about a cook book she wrote with simple recipes. She showed me it and said it was £10, I would have bought it but i had no spare money then but she told me her book is also on sale in the petrol station that was just in front of us. I said i would buy it in there next time i have money but i completely forgot until now.

I think you can look up publishing your own books on google
I'm not sure but maybe if you type Publishing companies then a list might come up
That's really nice of you and after posting it on here you should consider writing your own little simple recipe cook book and sell it for students or anyone who is not great at cooking and you can make up some of your own recipes to fill the book out. Lots of people do it. And anyone can write a cook book.
You can call yours A Students guide to survival cook book or A Students guide to Avoiding Starvation or a funny and better title than that
I don't really like cooking so i just use salt and pepper on most things and i don't use other spices a lot but i don't need to because salt and pepper is enough and it still tastes good. Years ago i made my mum a roast chicken and all i did was rub salt and pepper on it and she asked me what spices i used because she said it was lovely so she was surprised i did not coat it in lots of different spices like she always does. So when i have looked at other cook books there's too much ingredients to add so i don't bother. I'm sure lots of people are like that so with your simple recipes maybe it could make you lots of money.

A couple of months ago I was walking down the street and a woman asked me if i like cooking i said no so she told me about a cook book she wrote with simple recipes. She showed me it and said it was £10, I would have bought it but i had no spare money then but she told me her book is also on sale in the petrol station that was just in front of us. I said i would buy it in there next time i have money but i completely forgot until now.

I think you can look up publishing your own books on google
I'm not sure but maybe if you type Publishing companies then a list might come up

Thanks for the advice :smile:, I'm already writing a book for students that will have a recipe section anyway though. (update on these recipes, they'll be posted here later tomorrow as I ended up having unexpected work crop up)

Sometimes I learn lots of cooking tips from my friend. I would never have bought chicken fillets before until he told me it's better to buy them in supermarkets because they are fresh but butchers chicken are stale. Also he buys whole green chillies in the market because they sell a lot in a bag for only £1 but in supermarkets they sell half the amount and they are more expensive. He also puts the chillies in freezer and you don't have to thaw them out you can just cut them in half still frozen as they do not go hard in the freezer. But you must take all the seeds out of the chilli and throw them away or it will burn your mouth and always wash your hands straight after touching chillies because if you rubbed your eyes or anything else it will burn. And you only need to use one chilli.

Also i just cut chicken fillets into pieces and fry them in oil in a frying pan, you know when the chicken is cooked when it turns brown, then i put salt and pepper, throw in frozen veg like peas, sweetcorn, or sometimes i add cauliflour, brocolli aswell and fry those in same pan as the chicken. It makes a nice meal then you add it with rice or patatoes or sometimes i just eat it without anything else because there is quite a lot of it when all theveg is added. So i don't always boil veg i just fry it while it's frozen, it does not need thawing out first. Or sometimes i add onions, chilli and 2 cans of tomatoes or herb tomatoes as sometimes one can is not enough or if you only use one can of tomatoes you add water to it.
Or You can add 1 oxo cube too without the can of tomatoes to make a light gravy.
In any supermarket You can buy can of tomatoes with herbs in them or they sell tomatoes in a box instead of cans sometimes.
Or if anyone is vegetarian replace chicken or meat with patatoes or fresh cauliflower
If adding patatoes you peel them then boil in a pan for 5 or 10 minutes first then take them out of the water then add them to the frying pan with the veg
Sometimes i fry the frozen peas and sweetcorn in a pan in oil then put 4 eggs in to make scrambled eggs and this is really filling with frozen veg or i pour 4 eggs in a cup and add frozen peas and sweetcorn and mix them all in a cup then pour into the pan to make an omelette.

Or even better thing to do is just buy a slow cooker where you can just put raw meat or chicken in it and add veg, patatoes, spices and it will cook everything for you. It will even cook stuff from frozen. Or a whole chicken depending on how big the slow cooker is but they do cost a lot. I think some are £45 or £79. You can get cheap ones in Wilkinson, Asda, Sainsburys, Homebargains but B&M do the cheapest ones. I'm going to get one because it means i don't have to waste time cooking because the slow cooker does all the hard work. You should try to get one too or anybody reading this thread.
I saw a new modern slow cooker advertised on tv that i really want to get but i forgot what it's called, if i remember i will let you know.

you don't have to thaw them first.

You should try to get a slow cooker

I'm probably gonna borrow my mum's slow cooker she has a few :smile: x
What is thawing? Xx
Reply 97
Have you tried applying for a hardship loan lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm probably gonna borrow my mum's slow cooker she has a few :smile: x
What is thawing? Xx

I meant defrosting which is the same thing
You can borrow your mums for now but the new, modern slow cookers do just about everything. Maybe you can ask family to get you the new one for christmas
Original post by loooopppyyy
It only takes a few hours for a whole loaf to defrost on the side, theres no need for microwaving it or even opening up the packet for air (this makes it go stale very quickly!!).

Also as others have mentioned, with smart price food the only difference usually is they don't use any seasoning so most things taste very bland, if you get a few spices then it improves a lot, also as I mentioned earlier, a tin of smart price beans + half teaspoon of salt + half teaspoon of sugar + little splodge of smartprice ketchup = a better tin of beans than heinz!!

I've been a chef from the age of 16 to 30, you learn a lot of taste hacks on the job!! :P

Adding 2 and half grams of salt, great shout mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending