The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ipsooo
i can send it to you if you really want it.... but honestly its more of a A2 revision pack than anything else so not so worth it :wink:

Thank you so much. Please do it.

Do you have preparation tips for interview too? Thanks :d :smile:
Original post by Ipsooo
there are solution on tsr... but obviously they were done by some very clever people since they jump loads of steps and it ends up not making much sense... but i have yet to find an incorrect solution :tongue:
if the solution really doesnt make sense post it on here and we can all have a go at it :h:

I just found this one here:

http://integralmaths.org/course/view.php?id=145&section=2

I actually prefer short solutions most of the times. :smile:
Reply 422
Original post by tangotangopapa2

errrmm just go in with the mindset that you won't get in... made me super chilled and calm :biggrin: but honestly... imagine sitting in front of three professors...being attacked (logically) for every answer you give... and knowing that your future depends on the next 30 mins... lots of stress :s-smilie:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-particle-spin

Some of the answers given in the page might interest you.

I'm looking for an explanation based on anything that explains it! Thanks :smile: I'll read it through

It sounds like a fascinating concept and I'm sure i'll be interested it until I understand it and after that I'll be interested in something else I don't yet understand o.O
Reply 424
Original post by girlwonder17
Great Post:

Just to clarify knowledge should be learnt is:

Physics Unit 4 - Ideal gas laws/circular motion/newtons laws etc.

FP2 - Inequalities

C1- Arithmetic Series

C2- Logarithms

C3 + C4 - Learnt Fully

Do I need to know much from FP3, C4 vectors etc

There's nothing from FP3 you need to know and I've never seen C4 vectors come up. Don't think it's even on the spec :smile:
Original post by Ipsooo
errrmm just go in with the mindset that you won't get in... made me super chilled and calm :biggrin: but honestly... imagine sitting in front of three professors...being attacked (logically) for every answer you give... and knowing that your future depends on the next 30 mins... lots of stress :s-smilie:

Now imagine being asked how many airplanes are in the sky right now and mumbling your thought process for about 5 mins straight and getting lost in your thoughts and to finally have to ask the tutor - would you mind reminding me what i have been saying for the last 5 minutes because i somehow got lost in my own mind xD
Reply 426

I'd rather not post it on here in case i'm not allowed to.... and i cant work out how to attach stuff in a pm... but i promise these questions are not worth it.. they're identical to like textbook questions
Reply 427
Original post by rohan.nuck
Now imagine being asked how many airplanes are in the sky right now and mumbling your thought process for about 5 mins straight and getting lost in your thoughts and to finally have to ask the tutor - would you mind reminding me what i have been saying for the last 5 minutes because i somehow got lost in my own mind xD

oh you got that one!! i just got a load of maths :frown: which college was this at?
Original post by Ipsooo
oh you got that one!! i just got a load of maths :frown: which college was this at?

That was my second interview. I also got asked about a ball rolling down a staircase there ( maximum number of consecutive bounces ). On my first interview i was basically asked to analyse a situation about cars on a road, sketch a weird graph and asked to say what x=cost y=sint z=t would look like. That was Mansfield college. Had a third interview at wadham where i got asked to derive centripital acceleration and equation of motion and something about the angle between earth sun moon when we see half moon
Edit: I would have prefered loads of maths xD
Original post by Ipsooo

Must have been wonderful experience to look back at. :biggrin:

What did you do in order to prepare for it? Thanks :biggrin:
That was my second interview. I also got asked about a ball rolling down a staircase there ( maximum number of consecutive bounces ). On my first interview i was basically asked to analyse a situation about cars on a road, sketch a weird graph and asked to say what x=cost y=sint z=t would look like. That was Mansfield college. Had a third interview at wadham where i got asked to derive centripital acceleration and equation of motion and something about the angle between earth sun moon when we see half moon
Edit: I would have prefered loads of maths xD

Those questions are challenging for sure. How can one prepare for the interview?
Reply 431
Those questions are challenging for sure. How can one prepare for the interview?

they dont just give you the questions then watch you... the questions are meant to be hard so they can give you hints along the way and see how fast you learn

but if you do manage to do it without hints then thats like... wow... :biggrin:

You should bear in mind that you are not expected to work through them without help !
I think there's 2 important aspects to the i) being able to do some progress on the problem ii) communicating with the tutor ( working with him) for the problems part I enjoyed maths and physics puzzles and harder problems so I had done plenty before I even started preparing. To prepare I just went through a bit of ' poveys perplexing problems'
For the communicating part, I just gave hard puzzles to my friends and we tried working through them together
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
There's nothing from FP3 you need to know and I've never seen C4 vectors come up. Don't think it's even on the spec :smile:

tysm
This is an interesting question to think on.

clouds.png
Reply 435

clouds.png

same reason as why dust appears to float in the air i guess
I guess the horizon motion cancels out from dem air particles and you could just count the weight as another strike from air particle from above and hence top and bottom cancels out too so it floaatts :biggrin:
as for the last part... im guessing something to do with two moving towards each other hence gain mass?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 436
Original post by girlwonder17
tysm

No problem at all :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
No problem at all :smile:

Sorry to bother you again, its only that I need to get a response to get **** done xd

Could you answer some of the questions i have on this thread pl

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4293614

clouds.png

My best guess goes as follows:
So basically i would think of this as the net density of the cloud being less than that of the atmosphere.
The Mass of air has a lower density to that of the surrounding air and so it rises. As is rises further up, the atm pressure decreases and so mass of air begins to expand even more while the cloud also cools down ( as higher up temperatures are lower) so there is a net decrease in the energy/internal energy of the mass of air. This causes the water vapour to condense into a less energetic form ie water droplets. But sine the mass of air is still filled with air its density should not be that much greater or less than the air itself. Hence its stays in the sky at somepoint. and we have a cloud. It does not fall because its density is less than that of air. Even though it could be greater than that of air at somepoint, it would still have an upward velocity at that time and so it would only decelerate blablabla ( and probably oscillate about a mean position )
as for the last part, i'm guessing that it has to do with the droplets colliding with each other and gaining weight. but as this happens kinetic energy is not conserved, so the temperature of the cloud decreases again causing more condesation ---> eventually density becomes too high/droplets too big and it falls ?
EDIT : where does this question come from? an easy but interesting question : Imagine putting some helium in a balloon, and then letting it rise. Describe the motion of the balloon ( assume the balloon is hard as hell and does not burst xD )
(edited 7 years ago)
:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Ipsooo
same reason as why dust appears to float in the air i guess
I guess the horizon motion cancels out from dem air particles and you could just count the weight as another strike from air particle from above and hence top and bottom cancels out too so it floaatts :biggrin:
as for the last part... im guessing something to do with two moving towards each other hence gain mass?

My best guess goes as follows:
So basically i would think of this as the net density of the cloud being less than that of the atmosphere.
The Mass of air has a lower density to that of the surrounding air and so it rises. As is rises further up, the atm pressure decreases and so mass of air begins to expand even more while the cloud also cools down ( as higher up temperatures are lower) so there is a net decrease in the energy/internal energy of the mass of air. This causes the water vapour to condense into a less energetic form ie water droplets. But sine the mass of air is still filled with air its density should not be that much greater or less than the air itself. Hence its stays in the sky at somepoint. and we have a cloud. It does not fall because its density is less than that of air. Even though it could be greater than that of air at somepoint, it would still have an upward velocity at that time and so it would only decelerate blablabla ( and probably oscillate about a mean position )
as for the last part, i'm guessing that it has to do with the droplets colliding with each other and gaining weight. but as this happens kinetic energy is not conserved, so the temperature of the cloud decreases again causing more condesation ---> eventually density becomes too high/droplets too big and it falls ?
EDIT : where does this question come from? an easy but interesting question : Imagine putting some helium in a balloon, and then letting it rise. Describe the motion of the balloon ( assume the balloon is hard as hell and does not burst xD )

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the answer is the same. :yes: Average density of cloud is less than that of air. Small droplets so large surface area so high viscous drag so they tend to be floating forever in the same way as does the dust particle in air.

The question comes from the book called " Physics Olympiad: Basic to Advanced" which I downloaded yesterday.

Edit: the name of the book is " Physics Olympiad: Basic to Advanced Exercises" :tongue:

following are the exact statements from the book.

clou sol.png
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending