The Student Room Group

Does a maintenance loan cover all costs when living away???

I am from quite a disadvantaged background so I think I would be close to getting the maximum maintenance loan for Uni. My issue is that to go into the Uni's I want, I would have to travel far away and was wondering if a maintenance loan covers accommodation, food and travel (Basically everything for 3 years providing I keep costs low)? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I am from quite a disadvantaged background so I think I would be close to getting the maximum maintenance loan for Uni. My issue is that to go into the Uni's I want, I would have to travel far away and was wondering if a maintenance loan covers accommodation, food and travel (Basically everything for 3 years providing I keep costs low)? Thanks

It depends. Sometimes it does eg. For Cambridge, accommodation costs like 2000-5000 a year, add costs to that its like 8000 to budget and the maintenance loans just about covers it. However, in London and more expensive areas like Edinburgh, unis say to budget 10-12000 for accommodation and living perhaps more but the maximum loan is only like 9 or 10 thousand or something in not sure so your parents would have to put down some extra money there. Or alternatively you could work at uni if they let you with your degree.

In general, most costs are covered :tongue:
Reply 2

As you say, if you keep costs low, then yes.

Also if you qualify for the full (or nearly full) maintenance loan you may be eligible for additional help (bursary) from your university. Also some offer academic scholarships (up to £2k in some cases) for some courses.

Eg http://www.surrey.ac.uk/content/undergraduate-tuition-fees-bursaries-scholarships

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by isabella1999
It depends. Sometimes it does eg. For Cambridge, accommodation costs like 2000-5000 a year, add costs to that its like 8000 to budget and the maintenance loans just about covers it. However, in London and more expensive areas like Edinburgh, unis say to budget 10-12000 for accommodation and living perhaps more but the maximum loan is only like 9 or 10 thousand or something in not sure so your parents would have to put down some extra money there. Or alternatively you could work at uni if they let you with your degree.

In general, most costs are covered :tongue:

Thanks :smile: As you said about how the maintenance loan nearly covers costs if you live away from the city, does that loan reset every year? As in say you obtain 6000 on one year and that covers all the costs in that year, do you get 6000 the next? And do a lot of uni's have jobs on campus??

No I get the maximum loan and that doesn't cover the cost of my unis accommodation (My uni only has one accommodation option)

Though I am aware all unis vary
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
As you say, if you keep costs low, then yes.

Also if you qualify for the full (or nearly full) maintenance loan you may be eligible for additional help (bursary) from your university. Also some offer academic scholarships (up to £2k in some cases) for some courses.

Eg http://www.surrey.ac.uk/content/undergraduate-tuition-fees-bursaries-scholarships

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, does the loan reset every year?
Reply 6
No I get the maximum loan and that doesn't cover the cost of my unis accommodation (My uni only has one accommodation option)

Though I am aware all unis vary

Are you living in a major city or further outwards? And how much roughly do you need additionally to cover costs in that year?

You get an additional loan every year. The figures you are reading are annual figures.

Yes, you have to reapply every year.
Thanks :smile: As you said about how the maintenance loan nearly covers costs if you live away from the city, does that loan reset every year? As in say you obtain 6000 on one year and that covers all the costs in that year, do you get 6000 the next? And do a lot of uni's have jobs on campus??

Yes it is a yearly loan I'm pretty sure :smile: and quite a few do like in the bars or research labs and library etc so that is an option, unless you are thinking medicine in which case they say no jobs at all in most unis as it distracts from your studies (my position hahaha)
Oh also, most unis have additional bursaries on top of government loans for people from middle-disadvantaged backgrounds. It's probably worth looking into that! And they do not have to be repaid usually
It depends on where you are, your university will probably be able to give you an indication of the cost of living on the finance part of their website so if you use that and have a think about other expenses you may incur, you'll be able to work it out.
If you're looking for additional bursaries, you might be out of luck depending on your postcode, so maybe check if you'd be eligible for any additional bursaries/academic scholarships before deciding on a university. If you are, then you will be fine in an expensive city, but if you're not, then I'd suggest looking for a university that has relatively cheap accommodation and cost of living.

I got the maximum maintenance loan and grant, but was not eligible for any bursaries because of my postcode... even though I fit every other criteria needed. So just watch out for that!
Reply 13

Yes.
as long as you don't pick a notoriously expensive area (e.g. London) then you should be fine on the maximum loan :smile: obviously working in the year or two up to uni and saving some money will enable you to be a bit more frivolous and have more fun
I would imagine so if you budget appropriately, I'm still intending to find a part time job just because it'll mean I'll have some extra money and some experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending