The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scienceisgood
I find my Lapras is pretty good at taking down similar level Snorlax. So long as I dodge that bloody hyper beam though... :angry:
Although, I HATE Snorlax with an Earthquake move though, bloody impossible to dodge...

Wouldn't mind seeing a few special abilities brought back into the game, i.e. how Ghost pokemon are immune to normal and fighting type attacks.
Flying are immune to Earth based attacks i.e. Earthquake

etc...

Yea my 2k Lapras is a beast and does pretty well but I prefer hitting weaknesses too. I took out a Dragonite recently which was 200 CP higher than me and my Lapras only lost half its HP :biggrin:
Original post by Zerforax
Which IV calculator do you use? The pokeassistant one is more accurate now since you can use the appraise function to get more information (which stat(s) is the best).

Lucky sod..

Surely an Electabuzz/Jolteon with Thunder/Thunder shock would be worth having as an attacker for gyms? The STAB and weaknesses bonus should give them enough boost? Maybe it's just the gyms near me which are full of water types. Def could do with a Zapdos! :colondollar:

Haha even if I live in London, I don't have the time to disappear for 3-6 hours.

I'm not too far from the Thames so maybe I could manage the Dratinis.. a Machamp would be awesome to take down all these damn Snorlax..

The google doc calculator one someone uploaded there. And I guess that would also be more accurate as it gives you a combination of all possible IVs so if you tell it which one is best, it could exclude all those that don't have that as best. Not sure how one would implement that, you can't see the formulae in that so no way to change them.
Yea that does work wonders, the IVs are 15 14 14 but to max it out I would need 224'500 Stardust...not sure that would be worth it. Ah well, let's see what it is like after evolving.
Original post by inhuman
Yea that does work wonders, the IVs are 15 14 14 but to max it out I would need 224'500 Stardust...not sure that would be worth it. Ah well, let's see what it is like after evolving.

But that's the stardust needed to max at level 40? Don't forget that in the wild CP will be capped at level 30 in any event so the last 10 levels worth of stardust you can't do anything about.

I used about 20k stardust to add 300 CP which isn't too bad actually. I'd pick 2-6 pokemon max that you will power with stardust otherwise you'll always be behind others when trying to gym battle.

Dragonite, Lapras, Snorlax, Gyarados, Arcanine, Exegguctor, Machamp etc are the only ones I'd bother to power up (and only if they have the right move set + high IVs).
But that's the stardust needed to max at level 40? Don't forget that in the wild CP will be capped at level 30 in any event so the last 10 levels worth of stardust you can't do anything about.

I used about 20k stardust to add 300 CP which isn't too bad actually. I'd pick 2-6 pokemon max that you will power with stardust otherwise you'll always be behind others when trying to gym battle.

Dragonite, Lapras, Snorlax, Gyarados, Arcanine, Exegguctor, Machamp etc are the only ones I'd bother to power up (and only if they have the right move set + high IVs).

Yeah, you should only really be powering up ~ 6 Pokemon. If they introduce trainer battles (or you just find a decent gym) you'll have 6 Pokemon to take it down, so you only need a maximum of 6 strong Pokemon at one time. I've spent ~250k stardust on my: Dragonite, Lapras, Snorlax, Gyarados, Arcanine and one other than I can't remember :tongue:.

Oddly enough though, I have all 7 of the Pokemon you quoted and 6 of them are in my top 9 Pokemon. I have a 1200 Machamp but I also have a 1000 Machoke with 80 or so candies, once I evolve him he should go to 1600-1700 or so, meaning I'll have all 7 of the Pokemon you quoted in my top 9 or so :tongue:.
Saving all my candy for a higher level (except for Pidgy, Spearow and Raratta) so I don't waste tonnes of my candy and when I get to a higher level, it seems a waste. =l
All my spearow, pidgy, rattata and weedle candies will be spent all at once and right now, I basically have 600 pidgy candy (just under actually but still) to do a mass evolution spree. Currently have 4 lucky eggs sitting in my inv for me to use. =D
Have a Bellsprout with a 607CP (With an IV of about 80) but, not sure if I should evolve it or not (currently have 32 candy).
Original post by tomtjl
Yeah, you should only really be powering up ~ 6 Pokemon. If they introduce trainer battles (or you just find a decent gym) you'll have 6 Pokemon to take it down, so you only need a maximum of 6 strong Pokemon at one time. I've spent ~250k stardust on my: Dragonite, Lapras, Snorlax, Gyarados, Arcanine and one other than I can't remember :tongue:.

Oddly enough though, I have all 7 of the Pokemon you quoted and 6 of them are in my top 9 Pokemon. I have a 1200 Machamp but I also have a 1000 Machoke with 80 or so candies, once I evolve him he should go to 1600-1700 or so, meaning I'll have all 7 of the Pokemon you quoted in my top 9 or so :tongue:.

I have none of them right now :/
Original post by tomtjl

I imagine over time it might extend to 5-10. Those who you use to defend gyms and then those which are good to take out the obvious gym defenders? That's a pretty nice team :colondollar:

What are your other 3 in your top 9?

Do you use any other apps since pokevision stopped working to find locations?

Saving all my candy for a higher level (except for Pidgy, Spearow and Raratta) so I don't waste tonnes of my candy and when I get to a higher level, it seems a waste. =l
All my spearow, pidgy, rattata and weedle candies will be spent all at once and right now, I basically have 600 pidgy candy (just under actually but still) to do a mass evolution spree. Currently have 4 lucky eggs sitting in my inv for me to use. =D
Have a Bellsprout with a 607CP (With an IV of about 80) but, not sure if I should evolve it or not (currently have 32 candy).

You're above level 20 now aren't you? If pokemon hatched from eggs are capped at level 20, hatching a Lapras or Snorlax from an egg is probably worth powering since you're unlikely to catch better in the wild?

I evolve everything I can with the lucky egg to get the benefit now. I don't really evolve anything for their level/strength yet.

Original post by inhuman

10k eggs are probably the way to go unless you can track down a nest for machop/growlith/magikarps/dratini etc? I'm sure it will be like buses and you'll get a few soon!
Original post by inhuman

With Lapras and Snorlax, you need to get lucky and get those 10k egg hatches or find them in the wild. For the others, it's just about grinding out those candies. Getting that Dragonite took a damn long time of grinding, as did the Gyarados.

I imagine over time it might extend to 5-10. Those who you use to defend gyms and then those which are good to take out the obvious gym defenders? That's a pretty nice team :colondollar:

What are your other 3 in your top 9?

Do you use any other apps since pokevision stopped working to find locations?

Use pokefind to locate Pokemon. It's not 100% accurate - all the Pokemon that appear there are in the wild, but it doesn't pick up all of the Pokemon. Still a pretty good indication though. Used it to find loads of Dratinis.

Edit: had to go onto my phone for the screenshots
Edit 2: App won't let me uploads the screenshots, it's being a right pain in the arse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Had to make a new post in order to upload these. These are all of my Pokemon currently over 1000 CP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
With Lapras and Snorlax, you need to get lucky and get those 10k egg hatches or find them in the wild. For the others, it's just about grinding out those candies. Getting that Dragonite took a damn long time of grinding, as did the Gyarados.

Use pokefind to locate Pokemon. It's not 100% accurate - all the Pokemon that appear there are in the wild, but it doesn't pick up all of the Pokemon. Still a pretty good indication though. Used it to find loads of Dratinis.

Edit: had to go onto my phone for the screenshots
Edit 2: App won't let me uploads the screenshots, it's being a right pain in the arse.

Ever used Go Radar? Someone else suggested that to me.

Nice list of pokemon! Very jealous :colondollar:
Am starting to think I will never find a high CP Gastly...
Highest CP one I've found is 339... Currently have 54 Gastly candy...
And am nearly level 22...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Ever used Go Radar? Someone else suggested that to me.

Nice list of pokemon! Very jealous :colondollar:

I've heard very good things, but it's iPhone only atm and the website doesn't work anymore, so I've not had a chance to use it :/.
Pokemon go
Loved the game but unfortunately I had to delete the game tho due to the fact that in the first week of having it whenever I caught a Pokemon the app completely froze. Meant to of had 5 but kept on displaying that I had none 😫🙁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
I've heard very good things, but it's iPhone only atm and the website doesn't work anymore, so I've not had a chance to use it :/.

Ah that explains why I couldn't find it on Google play store..

Managed to finally edge to level 23 (and boosted my Lapras past 2k now).

Hatched a Hitmonchan from my 10k egg. Is a Snorlax too much to ask for? :colondollar:

Got 150 coins again (somehow been able to take 2 gyms in quick succession a day for the past week). I think I'll go for another egg incubator since I've still got 2 lucky eggs. Need another 20 evolutions before I can make a jump!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok... Why is it this is the second dratini I have ever found and I planned on going out later today to find some Pokemon anyway?! DX

Damn you Radar Go... Reminding me what I don't have but want... =(

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472795291.452642.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh so now I've seen a wild Magmar, Vaporeon and Mr Mime but each time I've tried to click them to try and catch, I get an error message and those pokemon disappear from the map.

FML :frown:
Ugh so now I've seen a wild Magmar, Vaporeon and Mr Mime but each time I've tried to click them to try and catch, I get an error message and those pokemon disappear from the map.

FML :frown:

That happens semi-regularly to me.
I just close and reopen the app. And they then appear again. =)
That happens semi-regularly to me.
I just close and reopen the app. And they then appear again. =)

Damn didn't even think of that. I just assumed I saw them at the last second before the spawn time expired and so the clicking resulted in an error.

Ugh slowly crawling towards using my next lucky egg. On around 53 evolutions but want 12 more!
Omg... Seen this forever and thought I'd try it today but turns out it is a BA building and I'm not allowed in unless I'm an employee...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472821493.120581.jpg

Missed out on so many Pokestops... =(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest