The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

that formatting tho :ashamed:
Original post by Airmed
I remember the feeling of slight shock when my last two diagnosis were changed/altered. It took me a while to come to terms with it, but I think I am there. As for side effects, well, if one medication persists in them, there is always others to try. Trial and error.

I see - what is it, if you don't mind me asking? Mine's schizoaffective disorder. I don't really know all that much about the illness, to be honest.

And I'd love to find a medication that works well for me and works in a positive way, but all of them seem to give me problems - the main side effect being something called ocular gyro crisis.
Original post by lustawny
I see - what is it, if you don't mind me asking? Mine's schizoaffective disorder. I don't really know all that much about the illness, to be honest.

And I'd love to find a medication that works well for me and works in a positive way, but all of them seem to give me problems - the main side effect being something called ocular gyro crisis.

Schizoaffective disorder is a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. There are two types - depressive and manic. Depressive only experiences periods of depression and the manic experience both mania and depression. The difference between schizoaffective disorder and bipolar is that in schizoaffective disorder someone can experience psychosis both during and outside of mood episodes (depression and/or mania). It also is unlikely to feature any of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

That is the official definition, however it is often used for those who experience mood episodes and psychosis but don't fit the criteria for bipolar or schizophrenia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi buddy, glad to hear you're out of hospital now. :smile:

I had a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder in the past, it took me a little while to come to terms with it too. I've since been rediagnosed with something else and, tbh, I kind of wish it was still schizoaffective disorder as there is way less stigma for that than my most recent diagnosis. :sigh:

I have also experienced ocular gyro crisis. For a long time I was just told to put up with it (nice one NHS), but it was ruining my life - couldn't go out for fear of it happening. However, I now take benztropine and it only happens maybe once a month now (sometimes less), when it used to be several times a week. You might want to ask and see if you can get prescribed benztropine or another drug in that class as it can really help.
Original post by Ezme39
Sounds like their problem, not yours! Just bad luck that so many of these inconsiderate people were in one place :frown: (except for the bathroom person- that's a pretty fair excuse!)
I know it's hard, but try not to view these as failures. You're trying to reach out to people, and regardless of the outcome I would mark that as positive :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I just don't get what I keep doing wrong. :frown: This is my second undergrad degree and in the first one I completely failed to make friends too. It's a nightmare in class - I walk in and literally everyone is on their phone, no one wants to talk. I don't get why. I'm really starting to dislike smart phones, at least before them there was some glimmer of hope that I might be able to talk to someone, now not a chance.

Sorry for the rant. I've never really had friends but I thought this time would be different.

Hope you're ok. :hugs:

Couple of personality disorders, pseudo hallucinations. Not a particularly great one. :/

I'm on my sixth attempt of medication. Side effects suck, don't they?
Original post by bullettheory
Schizoaffective disorder is a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. There are two types - depressive and manic. Depressive only experiences periods of depression and the manic experience both mania and depression. The difference between schizoaffective disorder and bipolar is that in schizoaffective disorder someone can experience psychosis both during and outside of mood episodes (depression and/or mania). It also is unlikely to feature any of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

That is the official definition, however it is often used for those who experience mood episodes and psychosis but don't fit the criteria for bipolar or schizophrenia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if it can be brought on by taking a certain type of antidepressant? It's just I was on sertraline just before I got admitted to hospital, and I've got a feeling that it was a bad reaction to that medication that caused my manic episode/voices/psychosis that caused me to end up in hospital.

Original post by Sabertooth
Hi buddy, glad to hear you're out of hospital now. :smile:

I had a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder in the past, it took me a little while to come to terms with it too. I've since been rediagnosed with something else and, tbh, I kind of wish it was still schizoaffective disorder as there is way less stigma for that than my most recent diagnosis. :sigh:

I have also experienced ocular gyro crisis. For a long time I was just told to put up with it (nice one NHS), but it was ruining my life - couldn't go out for fear of it happening. However, I now take benztropine and it only happens maybe once a month now (sometimes less), when it used to be several times a week. You might want to ask and see if you can get prescribed benztropine or another drug in that class as it can really help.

Thanks a lot :smile: Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - what have they given you now? And I've never had benztropine recommended to me by my psychiatrist or anyone else. I guess you could say I'm quite sceptical of medication actually working for me now, having had minimal success with any of them up until now.

Original post by Airmed
Couple of personality disorders, pseudo hallucinations. Not a particularly great one. :/

I'm on my sixth attempt of medication. Side effects suck, don't they?

Wow, six attempts? I think I must be close to that figure by now, although I haven't been keeping count :tongue:

And yeah, side effects do suck.
Original post by Sabertooth
Thanks for the reply. I just don't get what I keep doing wrong. :frown: This is my second undergrad degree and in the first one I completely failed to make friends too. It's a nightmare in class - I walk in and literally everyone is on their phone, no one wants to talk. I don't get why. I'm really starting to dislike smart phones, at least before them there was some glimmer of hope that I might be able to talk to someone, now not a chance.

Sorry for the rant. I've never really had friends but I thought this time would be different.

Hope you're ok. :hugs:

You're not alone. I've always struggled to make real life friends too.

:sigh:
Wow, six attempts? I think I must be close to that figure by now, although I haven't been keeping count :tongue:

And yeah, side effects do suck.

Yeah, six. Sertraline, fluoxetine, aripiprazole, quetiapine, mirtazapine, and currently on my second attempt on quetiapine. I see you said you were on sertraline also. That was my joint worse reaction to medication (joint with aripiprazole).
My anxiety is becoming worse daily, I can't even enjoy anything with anyone anymore. :frown:

I hope it fades away because this is just so difficult. :frown:
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, six. Sertraline, fluoxetine, aripiprazole, quetiapine, mirtazapine, and currently on my second attempt on quetiapine. I see you said you were on sertraline also. That was my joint worse reaction to medication (joint with aripiprazole).

I've very recently just come off aripiprazole. I had terrible headaches when I first started it, and I was still experiencing ocular gyro crisis, which is why I wanted to come off it.
I've very recently just come off aripiprazole. I had terrible headaches when I first started it, and I was still experiencing ocular gyro crisis, which is why I wanted to come off it.

I had the headaches too and I ended up collapsing on it.
Thanks a lot :smile: Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - what have they given you now? And I've never had benztropine recommended to me by my psychiatrist or anyone else. I guess you could say I'm quite sceptical of medication actually working for me now, having had minimal success with any of them up until now.

Benztropine has really helped me a lot. I'd definitely recommend it. Maybe do a little internet research yourself and then decide whether you want to bring it up with your psychiatrist. Psychiatrists sometimes don't think of things or even aren't aware so it doesn't hurt to inform yourself. And yeah I get the skepticism with drugs - I tried 9 antidepressants in the past and, I haven;t counted, but probably a further 6 antipsychotics. I'm no longer depressed, which is awesome, but other than that, things generally go in cycles for me. I thought what I was on was helping, but it's likely my psychiatrist will prescribe something else when I next see her. My most recent diagnosis is schizophrenia.
Don't think i've ever posted in here but i'm due to be made redundant at the end of the month and despite months of searching I haven't been able to find anything. I've failed so many interviews and now i'm struggling to even find anything to apply for.

I live alone, I have no family, no friends, no support network at all. Having a job to go to is the only thing thats been holding my life together since I graduated and I have serious concerns for my welfare because I know I will not be able to cope. I can't even manage an evening after work or a weekend because I have nothing to do. I am so scared because I know I won't be able to handle having nothing to do for an extended period of time

I don't know what i'm trying to say here but I am completely lost and there is nobody I can to talk to :frown:
Im feeling anxious about my final year of school already and the pressures that come with it and I don't even star until the 7th. Ive been so anxious this holiday and its getting on top of me and I don't know how to help myself anymore.:frown:
Original post by S F
Hi guys! Wondering if anyone could give me some help/reassurance.
I've been going to counseling through the NHS for anxiety, but I hate it so much because I really dislike the guy its with; we have the eact same conversations each hour because hes forgotten what we spoke about last time and he just prints me off random selfhelp sheets from the internet. I also just don't think that counseling in general will help me. I was wondering how I go about quitting because the last thing I want is to phone up and the person tries to persuade me to stay, I also hate phone calls in general! What do I say?:frown:

When I wanted to leave the counselor I was seeing I called up a few days after and canceled my next appointment. When the receptionist asked if I wanted another one I said "let me call you back when I know when I free. Thanks! :h: ".

I also hate phonecalls and confrontation. :colondollar:
I hate the feeling of missing people you've fallen out with/don't talk to anymore :sad:
Tornado warning has been issued for where I am. ****.

:hide:
Original post by Midnightmemories
Tornado warning has been issued for where I am. ****.

:hide:

Stay safe! :hugs:
Really dont want to be home alone atm tbh.
Now all i have are my pets and online ppl considering my sibling is out a lot and we dont talk really.
worried about going back to school tbh, cant deal with going from basically my own company to a school of 1000 something ppl

Original post by Deyesy
x

Test

:cube:

Latest