The Student Room Group

Maths or Engineering?

Hey guys. I'm having trouble to decide what to study and I don't have much time left, given that I'll be sending an early application. My two choices are Mathematics & Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Personally, I prefer maths & cs by far, but I am worried that it might not offer me as many future opportunities and options as engineering. For the same reason, my parents are pushing me to study engineering. Any thoughts?
First off if you're unsure why are you sending in an early application? You have till Jan so what's the rush? In terms of options the math and cs courses are academic and engineering is more applied. With all you can pretty much do anything that uses your transferable skills but if you want to go down the engineering route later you will need an engineering degree. I think your best bet is to think about this a bit more, maybe get some work experience and then decide. Don't rush into anything.
Original post by elefjohn
Hey guys. I'm having trouble to decide what to study and I don't have much time left, given that I'll be sending an early application. My two choices are Mathematics & Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Personally, I prefer maths & cs by far, but I am worried that it might not offer me as many future opportunities and options as engineering. For the same reason, my parents are pushing me to study engineering. Any thoughts?

If you're not interested in engineering as a career then there is little reason to study it as a degree. Maths and computer science, separately and as a combined degree, open up a huge range of opportunities, so you don't have much to worry about on that front, unless you suddenly grew a burning desire to become an electrical engineer...

Quick Reply

Latest