The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
I see.
Is landscape painting your favourite?

My daughter thought of reading Architecture at uni for a short while, but gave up the idea when she realized A-level Art is quite crucial subject for it, and she's not interested in Art.....:tongue:

You might've looked into it already, but there're several art-related clubs/societies at Cambridge (university-wide ones). I think a few colleges have their own as well.
Maybe interested?

I love landscape painting!
Yeah I'll be interested in that should I have time :smile: I also play the saxophone so I'll definitely join music societies
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I love landscape painting!
Yeah I'll be interested in that should I have time :smile: I also play the saxophone so I'll definitely join music societies

Girl with multiple talent! :smile:
If it's music related, it's much more likely your college has its own several music societies. :smile:
Is it classical or more jazzy sort you prefer play the saxophone for?
Girl with multiple talent! :smile:
If it's music related, it's much more likely your college has its own several music societies. :smile:
Is it classical or more jazzy sort you prefer play the saxophone for?

Yeah, the music scene is one of the reasons I really liked Clare! My main repertoire is mostly classical saxophone but I would really love to play some jazz too :smile:
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Yeah, the music scene is one of the reasons I really liked Clare! My main repertoire is mostly classical saxophone but I would really love to play some jazz too :smile:

Heard Fitz is quite big in music scene at Cambridge, too.
Also, it can depend on what sort of people are involved in a particular year. If there's someone who's quite passionate and pro-active, things start happening more than usual thanks to them. Unlike club/society at school, all of them at Cambridge are run totally by students, so level of actitivity (both quality and volume) can vary year to year with changes of students.
But there're always various kinds and levels of collaboration between colleges, too, so I think you won't get bored. :smile:
Heard Fitz is quite big in music scene at Cambridge, too.
Also, it can depend on what sort of people are involved in a particular year. If there's someone who's quite passionate and pro-active, things start happening more than usual thanks to them. Unlike club/society at school, all of them at Cambridge are run totally by students, so level of actitivity (both quality and volume) can vary year to year with changes of students.
But there're always various kinds and levels of collaboration between colleges, too, so I think you won't get bored. :smile:

Aah that's great! I'm very excited :biggrin:
I was the highest achieving female in my sixth form :colondollar:

But my grades are still pretty **** compared to Cambridge peoples'
Original post by Serine Soul
I was the highest achieving female in my sixth form :colondollar:

But my grades are still pretty **** compared to Cambridge peoples'

Don't worry - once you're here, no-one cares at all. :smile: And you've clearly done well enough to get into Cambridge in the first place!
Original post by Zacken
Better than trying your luck with the supervisor. :tongue:

I'm the only mathmo in a history/MML family. I feel like I've been adopted. :'(

At least you won't have to share awkward supervisions/lectures with any of them if something did happen. :wink:

My group of friends had a bet between them for who could pull my college son first. He turned out to be gay, which rather scuppered their plans. :p:
I see.
Is landscape painting your favourite?

My daughter thought of reading Architecture at uni for a short while, but gave up the idea when she realized A-level Art is quite crucial subject for it, and she's not interested in Art.....:tongue:

You might've looked into it already, but there're several art-related clubs/societies at Cambridge (university-wide ones). I think a few colleges have their own as well.
Maybe interested?

I know someone at Cambridge who is studying architecture without A level art (did 3D design instead).
Original post by Helenia
At least you won't have to share awkward supervisions/lectures with any of them if something did happen. :wink:

My group of friends had a bet between them for who could pull my college son first. He turned out to be gay, which rather scuppered their plans. :p:

Fingers crossed. :wink:

Hahaha, that must have been a massive let down. He must've been rather charming to get a group of second years making that bet. :lol:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Don't they use A-level grades to determine your supervision partners in the first year, like with STEP?

Doubt it'd make a difference, sincne basically everybody would have A*A*A or A*A*A* - not much good in differentiating a large bunch of natsci's. So probably not.
Can Internationals get the NUS card? Also, is it worth getting - as in, does it give many discounts around Cambridge that aren't already gotten from the standard Cambridge Student card?
Don't they use A-level grades to determine your supervision partners in the first year, like with STEP?

Certainly wasn't the case in my subject - in any case, you're already in, so there's not much point fretting about whether your partners are chosen based on A Level grades. You're all obviously pretty good at your subject!
Reply 853

Do they really do that with STEP?
Original post by Zacken
Fingers crossed. :wink:

Hahaha, that must have been a massive let down. He must've been rather charming to get a group of second years making that bet. :lol:

To be fair, it was a rather unusual situation, as he was an MIT exchange student he was actually coming into second year, but still got allocated parents as he was new to the university. But he was lovely!
Original post by jweo
Do they really do that with STEP?

At some/most/all(?) colleges, yes.
Original post by camaieu
Don't worry - once you're here, no-one cares at all. :smile: And you've clearly done well enough to get into Cambridge in the first place!

Thanks, I really hope I can leave that all behind me!

Do you think they do? People with similar grades go together?
Original post by AmyPilot
I know someone at Cambridge who is studying architecture without A level art (did 3D design instead).

She did D & T in GCSE and the school said that could help, but there was other course she was very interested and the teachers had been recommending her to apply Oxbridge very strongly ever since she started the subject in GCSE, so she went for that. And was very happy reading it at Cambridge, so it was OK in the end. :wink:
Though she went on to do a master in the field of built-environment industry and is working for a major architect firm in London now, so it's a funny fate. :tongue:
Reply 858

Original post by Zacken
Doubt it'd make a difference, sincne basically everybody would have A*A*A or A*A*A* - not much good in differentiating a large bunch of natsci's. So probably not.

Yeah I'm not sure I know any NatScis without 3-4 A*s so they're not very useful for differentiating people.
Original post by alow
Yeah I'm not sure I know any NatScis without 3-4 A*s so they're not very useful for differentiating people.

Well now you do :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending