The Student Room Group

Graduate offer etiquette

I am graduating next year, hence I am applying for graduate positions this year. Two firms have already tried to head hunt me from LinkedIn (which is awesome, but they're definitely back up choices for me). Both of those firms are firms I had planned to apply to, but only as back up choices if my first choice doesn't work out.

What is the etiquette for this situation? I won't find out about my first choice until December, so it's a long period to wait and I have to get in touch with the other firms in that time.

This also extends to other firms that I will be applying for as a back up (there are firms that I want to work for far more than the two I have had offers from). What happens if they offer me something before my ideal firm does? I don't think I can just accept and then rescind my acceptance, but I also can't leave them hanging for months until the other firm complete their recruitment activities.

Any advice?
Original post by J-SP
Reneging on offers is pretty common. You might want to read this:

http://advice.milkround.com/are-you-a-multiple-job-offer-hoarder

My advice would be to ask for an extension of period of time to consider offers. If that isn't possible or would be far too long (over 2 months), then hold only one offer and then decline it as soon as you have your higher preference. There's no reason to hold more than one offer.

As long as you give the potential employer at least 3 months notice before you are due to join, they are more likely to find a replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I wouldn't accept lots of offers as it's simply not fair to accept multiple offers that I wouldn't want to/be able to fill, I'd just hold one and then wait and see what happens with the firm I really want to work for. I will definitely take your advice on board!

I guess I was a bit worried to ask for more time to make my decision in case the firm were like "well if you're not sure then we take it back" ahah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending