The Student Room Group

The Media

I was strolling through the dangerous woods of some youtube video called "proof hillary clinton staged pickle stunt" and saw this comment:

"The media bashed Trump on the way he ate Fried Chicken, but won't say sh*t about faking her opening a jar of pickles. That's corrupt, just like everything democrats do. "

So, what is this "media"? I obviously know what the media means, but do groups of news reporters who share a political stance say things in the same way so that we group them collectively and say "the media said this and that"? Is it so enshrouded and falsified that we think the media is just one massive entity - a sphere of shadows? Surely, we can't just blame "the media".

You might take offense to what I'm about to say, so tell me if I'm morally wrong or not... Would it make sense to personally attack the writers of such articles in order to not blame the whole media, but just some? Or is that the worst idea you've heard in your life?

:angelwings:
Reply 1
Media organisation owners will have an inherent bias and as a consequence recruit staff willing to peddle their line. Some of them are 'better' than others at doing it because they believe it and have no shame. There are some journalists that I think are complete onanators so I think you can criticise them for misleading and dangerous articles.
Reply 2
Original post by viffer
Media organisation owners will have an inherent bias and as a consequence recruit staff willing to peddle their line. Some of them are 'better' than others at doing it because they believe it and have no shame. There are some journalists that I think are complete onanators so I think you can criticise them for misleading and dangerous articles.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder how you combat a force like the media.
Reply 3
Original post by Kiritsugu
Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder how you combat a force like the media.
You can't
Reply 4
Original post by viffer
You can't

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Is the media just one big corporation or not? I think it's a big corporation. However, in any business, there are people working there. When it comes down to it, I suggested personally targeting those very people - in the end they're the ones making the stories.

I think it's possible to combat the media. But you've got to be smarter, stronger and have more will-power than them.

On the other hand, this media business has become a systematic fallacy. It's no longer just simple story telling - it's the most devilish game of Chinese whispers I've ever gotten involved in. A truly manipulating beast. So what do you do against such a powerful foe? Well that lies in the improbable future. But also in yourself. If each individual refused to take in information moulded by corrupt individuals and understand for themselves, we'd be better off. Similarly, just unbiased facts laid on the table would allow people to evaluate for themselves. I think such a system is easily possible, but most people are too lazy to do such a thing.

So as I've implied before, this is all a human problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Is the media just one big corporation or not? I think it's a big corporation. However, in any business, there are people working there. When it comes down to it, I suggested personally targeting those very people - in the end they're the ones making the stories.

I think it's possible to combat the media. But you've got to be smarter, stronger and have more will-power than them.

On the other hand, this media business has become a systematic fallacy. It's no longer just simple story telling - it's the most devilish game of Chinese whispers I've ever gotten involved in. A truly manipulating beast. So what do you do against such a powerful foe? Well that lies in the improbable future. But also in yourself. If each individual refused to take in information moulded by corrupt individuals and understand for themselves, we'd be better off. Similarly, just unbiased facts laid on the table would allow people to evaluate for themselves. I think such a system is easily possible, but most people are too lazy to do such a thing.

So as I've implied before, this is all a human problem.
Remember that bloke in Tianamen Square? GLWTP
Reply 6
Original post by viffer
Remember that bloke in Tianamen Square? GLWTP

I don't know anything about Tianamen Square and what GLWTP means. But are you suggesting fighting the media would mean fighting the government because they're one and the same?
Reply 7
I don't know anything about Tianamen Square and what GLWTP means. But are you suggesting fighting the media would mean fighting the government because they're one and the same?
Google can enlighten you on both.

The point I was trying to make is stopping the media would be like standing in front of a tank. Good Luck......
Reply 8
Original post by viffer
Google can enlighten you on both.

The point I was trying to make is stopping the media would be like standing in front of a tank. Good Luck......

You're right. But what if somehow, the person that was in the tank was on your side. If someone was able to manipulate the manipulative media, that would be a feat.
It's very rare to find any media outlet that isn't biased in some way. Always twisting the information or withholding other information to portray the news they want to sell and they think will sell. In USA, most media corporations are usually bought out by politicians or are endorsing certain politicians. You can see this by the fact that, the spotlight is almost always on Trump or Hillary (good or bad- but better than no publicity), but never on any other candidates, especially candidates that are not in the GoP or the Democrats. I have a hard time reading a lot of newspapers, or watching the news without actually catching out biases and realise- this is some random journalist's opinion and not actually news. Its super rare to actually find media that isn't biased in anyway, since people writing them are naturally biased themselves. Basically you want to be tactful when getting information via Media, try to find a story regarding both sides of the story and sticking with the least biased forms of media- even if they are a pain to read. Unfortunately most people are too sheepish. Media is run by capitalistic means, which is much better and less dangerous than being run by governments. I think the only way for people to stop this crap from the media is to gain a few IQ points and start criticising and stop watching/reading that crap, so a social change on Media- and this issue should go away in time. But the chances of that happening is the same as ISIS actually setting up a global caliphate AKA none.
Reply 10
Original post by MADMANMALIK
It's very rare to find any media outlet that isn't biased in some way. Always twisting the information or withholding other information to portray the news they want to sell and they think will sell. In USA, most media corporations are usually bought out by politicians or are endorsing certain politicians. You can see this by the fact that, the spotlight is almost always on Trump or Hillary (good or bad- but better than no publicity), but never on any other candidates, especially candidates that are not in the GoP or the Democrats. I have a hard time reading a lot of newspapers, or watching the news without actually catching out biases and realise- this is some random journalist's opinion and not actually news. Its super rare to actually find media that isn't biased in anyway, since people writing them are naturally biased themselves. Basically you want to be tactful when getting information via Media, try to find a story regarding both sides of the story and sticking with the least biased forms of media- even if they are a pain to read. Unfortunately most people are too sheepish. Media is run by capitalistic means, which is much better and less dangerous than being run by governments. I think the only way for people to stop this crap from the media is to gain a few IQ points and start criticising and stop watching/reading that crap, so a social change on Media- and this issue should go away in time. But the chances of that happening is the same as ISIS actually setting up a global caliphate AKA none.

You're right, I agree.
Did you see CNN being caught out editing the footage of the sister of the gunman killed in Milwaukee speaking to the media.
I can't link but they showed her saying to the mobs/protesters " Dont bring your violence here, we don't need that sh!t, our communities don't need that sh!t, we need our weaves." ( hair Extensions bizarrely) and they headlined the clip while showing it "Police victims sister calls for peace."

What they didn't show was what she said immediately before, (and I mean the sentence before) "Show his Momma you see her loss.Take your sh!t to the suberbs( in other words where the whites live) and burn that **** down"
She blatantly wasn't calling for peace she was calling for the violence to be moved to white areas. This is about as far from calling for peace as it gets, it was incitement to violence.
CNN gave a half arsed apology the next day or so with a lame excuse when multiple clips shot at the same time appeared all over YT.
I comes to something when you have to rely on civilian YT Accounts to show the lies of the MSM.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending