The Student Room Group

Parental pressure to go to Cambridge

Hey, so ever since I was young, my parents have always talked about me going to Cambridge since I've always had good grades. Now that I'm going into year 13 and will be applying to uni, they're really pressuring me to go and it's stressing me out and I don't know what to do. All they seem to care about is status/reputation and they won't listen when I try to explain that I never even said I wanted to go to Cambridge and simply prefer the sound of English courses at other (still top Russell Group) universities. It's really frustrating because I don't know how to explain to them that I just don't want to go to Cambridge and that I'm the one who will be studying there for 4 years and I should get to decide where I go.
Side note: I got ABBB in my AS Levels, so I wouldn't get into Cambridge anyway (I was predicted AAAB :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It's your life, not theirs.

Do what you want to do. They're not the ones filling in the UCAS form.
What ethnicity are you and why don't you want to go to cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm gonna try and hold back because I don't wanna insult someone else's parents because that's downright rude but here I go.

DO WHAT YOU WANT

I really dislike parents who try to force their kids to go to certain universities or do certain subjects just because they as parents want that. I've had several friends who's parents were like that and most cases it's ended in the kids having mental breakdowns from the stress. At the end of the day. This is your life, your degree. You are the one who will be studying there for 3-4+ years. You do what you want. That's easy for me to say because my parents weren't like this, but please try not to let them force you into something you don't want to do. You got ABBB in AS, that's amazing. I've just finished A2 with BCD. You could get into pretty much any uni. You will be filling in your UCAS form. You put what you want, and if they're still really going at you about it, talk to a teacher you like at your sixth form/ college and they will have a talk with your parents about it. Find a you teacher you trust and just tell them how you feel and they will help you. You will feel a lot better going somewhere you want and doing something you want.
Original post by zombie-dance
Hey, so ever since I was young, my parents have always talked about me going to Cambridge since I've always had good grades. Now that I'm going into year 13 and will be applying to uni, they're really pressuring me to go and it's stressing me out and I don't know what to do. All they seem to care about is status/reputation and they won't listen when I try to explain that I never even said I wanted to go to Cambridge and simply prefer the sound of English courses at other (still top Russell Group) universities. It's really frustrating because I don't know how to explain to them that I just don't want to go to Cambridge and that I'm the one who will be studying there for 4 years and I should get to decide where I go.
Side note: I got ABBB in my AS Levels, so I wouldn't get into Cambridge anyway (I was predicted AAAB :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's unlikely that you would get an interview with ABBB at AS.
Original post by ageshallnot

Exactly! But they just won't listen ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
What ethnicity are you and why don't you want to go to cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that I really don't want to go/hate the idea of going, but it's just not my first, or even my second, choice of uni; like I said, I just prefer the sound of English courses at other unis. The fact that they're putting so much pressure on me just puts me off even more though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly! But they just won't listen ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask about your chances in a neutral tone on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242 giving details of your UMS and your A2 predictions. If the response is 'not encouraging' show it to your parents as evidence direct from Cambridge.
Ask about your chances in a neutral tone on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242 giving details of your UMS and your A2 predictions. If the response is 'not encouraging' show it to your parents as evidence direct from Cambridge.

I don't know my UMS points and don't yet have my A2 predictions, but I'll do that when I do, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know my UMS points and don't yet have my A2 predictions, but I'll do that when I do, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge interviews like 80% of its applicants. As long as you have some chance of getting in they will interview you. I think ABBB is enough tbh
Original post by anonwinner
Cambridge interviews like 80% of its applicants. As long as you have some chance of getting in they will interview you. I think ABBB is enough tbh

I know. I also know from reading that thread and its previous eight iterations that ABBB is unlikely to get positive encouragement unless there are extenuating circumstances.

An interview certainly isn't impossible, but I think it's unlikely. I know people who were deselected with AAAB.
It's your life. Do what you want.

+ If you don't think you'll get into Cambridge, then it's a risk to apply as you only apply to 5 unis - don't waste one of your applications on a uni that you don't like!

It does interview 80%, yes, but anyone who gets less than AAB or ABB with extenuating circumstances in their top 3 AS Levels will definitely be in the 20% who don't get an interview. On average, humanities students at Cambridge have 2 A*s at A2 and science/maths have 3 or more A*s. Since they determine who gets an interview on likely predictions, ABB would get predictions of maximum A*AA which would put this applicant lower than average. There is statistical proof that Cam applicants and offer holders are differentiated by grades, as the majority of offer holders have UMS marks of 90% and above as a general spread whilst applicants have anything between 70%-100%.

Essentially, the odds are not in your favour unless you have extenuating circumstances or your reference writer puts in a bit about why you "underperformed". (ABBB is absolutely excellent and a set of grades you should be incredibly proud of, but unfortunately, Cambridge would see it as underperforming). If your heart isn't in Cambridge, don't go through the strife of applying just to appease your parents; it won't make you happy, you're unlikely to put 100% in to the application process and it'll lead to unnecessary stress. Focus on other RG universities who would gladly accept you with that set of fab results!
Reply 15
Original post by sweeneyrod
An interview certainly isn't impossible, but I think it's unlikely. I know people who were deselected with AAAB.

Very very unlikely. With ABBB at AS they probably don't even have 80% overall.
Original post by blue2337
It does interview 80%, yes, but anyone who gets less than AAB or ABB with extenuating circumstances in their top 3 AS Levels will definitely be in the 20% who don't get an interview. On average, humanities students at Cambridge have 2 A*s at A2 and science/maths have 3 or more A*s. Since they determine who gets an interview on likely predictions, ABB would get predictions of maximum A*AA which would put this applicant lower than average. There is statistical proof that Cam applicants and offer holders are differentiated by grades, as the majority of offer holders have UMS marks of 90% and above as a general spread whilst applicants have anything between 70%-100%.

Essentially, the odds are not in your favour unless you have extenuating circumstances or your reference writer puts in a bit about why you "underperformed". (ABBB is absolutely excellent and a set of grades you should be incredibly proud of, but unfortunately, Cambridge would see it as underperforming). If your heart isn't in Cambridge, don't go through the strife of applying just to appease your parents; it won't make you happy, you're unlikely to put 100% in to the application process and it'll lead to unnecessary stress. Focus on other RG universities who would gladly accept you with that set of fab results!

Original post by alow
Very very unlikely. With ABBB at AS they probably don't even have 80% overall.

Original post by sweeneyrod

You guys are probably right, my bad
Tell them you'll apply. Do or don't, it doesn't matter. Later, tell them you got rejected. Act all upset for a couple of days then tell them you'll work doubly hard at whichever uni you end up at. Everyone wins (as long as you don't mind a little white lie to your parents).
Thanks for the help/advice everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending