The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Maths a lot harder then GCSE Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got an A at GCSE too and I've just got a B at AS (I'm going to re-sit one module though) and I'm looking to get an A overall this year at A2
Original post by zayn008
Well maybe you see it different to me, I just say that because when I looked at a c3/c4 paper it made me enjoy what I was doing in C1 and C2, of course if you prepare for it you can do it and the course is built to build on GCSE as you do in C1 then you build on those in C2 and onto A2, the difficultly of A2 compared to GCSE is a lot, compared to AS it isn't that bad, it's the next step. Perhaps I did make it seem a little more challenging than it is. After doing AS you'll natraully want something harder, looking at A2 papers last year also made me quite excited.

ahh
have you just started A2? I think at first everything is hard - to be honest with you, I found AS maths really ****ing hard in my first year of college and only managed to get a B at the end of the year. A2 I found to be actually easier, because it's a similar format to AS and I was more prepared for the workload and I managed to come out with an A*. I think the whole A level needs to be considered as a whole when talking to people who have just finished yr 11, but I personally think anyone who actually enjoys maths and is willing to work hard can at least pass A level maths
Reply 22
Original post by Callum323
It's much harder, but if you put in the effort you'll be fine. Maths is the most popular A-level subject so it's not like you'll be the only one confused.

Here's an AS-level maths question just to scare you a bit :smile:

You keep on posting this a level maths question when someone creates a thread asking about a-level maths. Is your aim to prevent as many students as possible from taking a level maths?
Reply 23
Original post by k.russell
ahh
have you just started A2? I think at first everything is hard - to be honest with you, I found AS maths really ****ing hard in my first year of college and only managed to get a B at the end of the year. A2 I found to be actually easier, because it's a similar format to AS and I was more prepared for the workload and I managed to come out with an A*. I think the whole A level needs to be considered as a whole when talking to people who have just finished yr 11, but I personally think anyone who actually enjoys maths and is willing to work hard can at least pass A level maths

Yep! Only done a few pages and I feel like I've done more work than In all of C1 :biggrin:Wow that's actually such a big jump, I think that's the key part of AS though, using it to prepare for A2 with time management, organisation, etc. But you're right, everything is hard at first, I struggled with C1 co-ordinate geometry last October but hard work pays off. It's nothing impossible I know my brother also enjoyed and found A2 easier than AS. I also got a B in AS maths thanks to statistics :frown: I often forgot the applied modules are just as important as the core modules but I was only a few UMS off. I think when considering A-level maths as a whole compared to GCSE you can say it's hard, some say it's the hardest a level (I wouldn't agree) but very possible if you put in the time. I think the jump from GCSE to AS is actually harder than the jump from AS to A2 because many people don't realise how time and effort demanding it is so they waste their time and don't take it as serious then A2 comes along and they haven't acquired any skills or routines
Reply 24
Original post by k.russell
ahh

What did you get at GCSE?
Original post by Rajive
What did you get at GCSE?

an A, although I did not put my back out trying at GCSE I do think I could've got an A* if I had practiced a little bit
I'm just gonna say this, only choose it if you're PASSIONATE about it (don't be pressured by parents).
AS is harder and I've seen a lot of people be completely turned off maths by it.
BUT you have smaller classes, the teachers are more willing to help and you're always allowed a calculator! So an A in GCSE + hard work in AS lessons and you'll be fine!
Original post by OmarAl
if it is how hard I achieved an A at GCSE Maths am I good enough for A-Level

Well it is quite subjective but I personally found A level maths quite easy, but that's probably because maths was my strongest subject at GCSE (I'd gotten A*). C1 and C2 repeat some of the harder topics from GCSE, but if you had gotten an A you'll cope just fine with these topics (most people find C1 to be a piece of piss, and it is!), some people tend to struggle with Trigonometry in C2, but besides that everything just feels like an extension of GCSE. If you just do all the past papers and master the techniques you can get an A easily.

Where the difficult may come from is the applied module you do, S1 is pretty easy I think in my opinion, even if you hadn't done Statistics GCSE like me. The topics aren't too difficult grasp and the exams feel pretty standard. If you do M1 there maybe a problem ( I also did M1 since I did F. Maths), it's the applied module that everyone finds the hardest, if you enjoy M1 then you're more likley to work harder at it and hence do well. D1 is a strange one. The topics are piss easy to understand, but the examiners know this so it results in really high grade boundaries. Plus finishing a D1 paper on time can be quite hard.

The biggest jump in difficulty isn't from GCSE to AS, but porbably from AS to A2 ( in my opinion). C3 and C4 are just extensions of C1 and C2 essentially with a few new things, but the difficulty of C3 and C4 topics is alot higher. However once you undertand and master these topics, and if you do all the past papers an A is quite achievable. However getting an A* is quite tricky, especially in recent years as the difficulty of papers have increased quite alot, as well as unique and weird questions popping up.
image.jpg
Original post by Ano123
Solve 2cos(θ2)=cosθ 2\cos \left ( \frac{\theta }{2} \right ) = \cos \theta .

I am about to go into Year 12, and normally I shouldn't know anything about half angle formulae, but this wasn't out of my grasp at all. I have read the whole of Backhouse PM 1 so come at me.

You didn't specify a domain for theta so I just solved for the two smallest answers greater than 0.

Good game.

Took a while as I had gone out and just saw the notification.

Next round please.

I can do a C1/C2 paper and get nearly 100%, and I haven't even started AS. OP don't sweat it one crumb, you will fly through. Just make time for practice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
Solve 2cos(θ2)=cosθ 2\cos \left ( \frac{\theta }{2} \right ) = \cos \theta .

θ=4πn±2arccos(132)\theta=4\pi n \pm 2\text{arccos}(\frac{1-\sqrt3}{2}) where nZn \in \mathbb{Z}

Easy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Enigmatically

I am about to go into Year 12, and normally I shouldn't know anything about half angle formulae, but this wasn't out of my grasp at all. I have read the whole of Backhouse PM 1 so come at me.

You didn't specify a domain for theta so I just solved for the two smallest answers greater than 0.

Good game.

Took a while as I had gone out and just saw the notification.

Next round please.

I can do a C1/C2 paper and get nearly 100%, and I haven't even started AS. OP don't sweat it one crumb, you will fly through. Just make time for practice.

You don't need the domain to solve it. GG. :smile:
just keep away from Further Maths™ and you will be fine :h:
He didn't ask for a Gen Solution either.
:wink:

Usually in a question the requirements are specific: could be the GS or could be for a certain range of theta. He just dropped the question like that.

No need to derail this, let us allow people to advise the OP.
I'm in year 12 now about to study edexcel AS maths, would I be studying the current 2008 specification or the new 2017 specifiation?
To OP, yes it is harder.

Original post by Enigmatically
He didn't ask for a Gen Solution either.
:wink:

Usually in a question the requirements are specific: could be the GS or could be for a certain range of theta. He just dropped the question like that.

No need to derail this, let us allow people to advise the OP.

Now that I am technically not derailing this thread with this post, I can use the remaining space to respond to you. :wink:

It is fair to assume general solutions in that regard. The specific part is only valid for exams because those are guided af. If you were doing your own research and came across this type of question, would you just leave it because nothing previously tells you to get the general solution or solutions in a specific range? Nope. You'd solve it for the general solution. Then you can apply numbers for a specific range later on if needed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest