The Student Room Group

I feel like a driving failure

I really feel like i am amounting to nothing when it comes to driving.

I have had 10 lessons already with two different driving instructors and spent over £200 pounds and yet, i still can't drive and do anything properly.:frown:

It has gotten to the point where my parents will indeed kill me when they find out that i am not coping.:frown:

I just find it hard to multitask and forget simple stuff.:redface:

My first driving instructor stated that i need to have an eye test because i always keep on driving in the wrong direction. with my second driving instructor i almost seem to hit the lamp posts and everything just goes wrong.:frown:

He stated it has gotten to the point that i need to try automatic rather than manual.:redface:

He suggested i watch youtube videos and make notes which i have been doing but its still not helping as i don't have a car to practice on.

I don't know what to do:frown:
Original post by Blackstarr

I have had 10 lessons already with two different driving instructors and spent over £200 pounds and yet, i still can't drive and do anything properly.:frown:

It has gotten to the point where my parents will indeed kill me when they find out that i am not coping.:frown:

My first driving instructor stated that i need to have an eye test because i always keep on driving in the wrong direction. with my second driving instructor i almost seem to hit the lamp posts and everything just goes wrong.:frown:

He stated it has gotten to the point that i need to try automatic rather than manual.:redface:

He suggested i watch youtube videos and make notes which i have been doing but its still not helping as i don't have a car to practice on.

Don't worry about it. Driving is one of those things some people magically pick up, and some don't. Keep at it. Maybe your parents could help you practice and learn?
Some people just learn a lot slower than others, if you've done 10 hours then that might be really significant to people that are quick learners whereas to others will take a bit more time. Some people are better at different areas of driving as well - like at 10 hours, judging by my skills with the clutch, gears, steering and reversing you'd have thought that I'd been driving for ages, but when it actually came to thinking for myself and getting really comfortable with how roads work and remembering everything, that stuff took me another 10+ hours to truly be test-worthy with. I was also terrified of driving when I first passed and made some nervous mistakes (nothing major, thankfully), now a few years down the line I love driving and don't really make mistakes.
Reply 3
Hello, I understand your struggle! I took at least 30 2 hour driving lessons before I was at all ready to take my test! And then I failed the test twice before I passed aha:colondollar:
Try to speak to your parents honestly as they may not be as angry with you as you think.
Listen to your instructors and maybe have the eye test as you need to be able to see clearly to drive! Give it time and you'll soon get there, don't give up, everyone learns at a different pace.
Hope this helps!
Also, This might sound crazy but before my 3rd and final driving test I did like this strange self hypnosis thing by listening to an audio clip which I found online. It helped me relax if nothing else before the big day, maybe something similar could help you relax before your lessons so that you don't get nervous and as anxious behind the wheel as this can affect your coordination, concentration and reaction times. Anyway - good luck!
If it means anything, I've had at least 25 lessons, passed my theory first time, failed the practical 4 times and counting! I just tell myself that people are good at different things, driving seems to not be my strong point. Just try and enjoy your lessons and don't stress too much over how long it takes you, it'll come eventually :smile:

Just do everything slower, I failed my test like 5 times, I then took a break for 2 years and redid just doing everything very, very slow...nailed it first (sixth) time.

So yeah, just take your time and everything becomes far easier
Reply 6
Start with computer games. Build up to driving.

Hi. 10 lessons is nothing. Trust me nobody passes their test in 10lessons and even if they have been trained to pass in 10 lessons they will be nowhere near a safe driver because it's all about experience and learning from your mistakes and that takes time.

Learning to drive is very expensive and takes time. I think on average someone takes over 40hrs of lessons to pass.
What you need to remember is that driving is something you want to get right and understand.
It's not like learning to play a sport or an instrument, rather you are in control of a vehicle that can potentially kill lives, so you need to be patient and have the aim of becoming a safe driver and not one of those people who pass in 10lessons and then brag all their life about it.

Your not a failure by any means. After 10 lessons if your still trying to get your clutch control right then that could be concerning but other than that the road knowledge, manoeuvres and general driving confidence comes with time and patience :smile:

Maybe try getting provisional insurance and learn with a parent alongside an instructor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I took 50 lessons and 3 tests to get a driving license. I now have 3 driving licenses (different countries) and can drive armored 4x4s through mountainous and desert terrain. You'll get there in the end.
Reply 9
Original post by futuremedic19
Hi. 10 lessons is nothing. Trust me nobody passes their test in 10lessons and even if they have been trained to pass in 10 lessons they will be nowhere near a safe driver because it's all about experience and learning from your mistakes and that takes time.

Learning to drive is very expensive and takes time. I think on average someone takes over 40hrs of lessons to pass.
What you need to remember is that driving is something you want to get right and understand.
It's not like learning to play a sport or an instrument, rather you are in control of a vehicle that can potentially kill lives, so you need to be patient and have the aim of becoming a safe driver and not one of those people who pass in 10lessons and then brag all their life about it.

Your not a failure by any means. After 10 lessons if your still trying to get your clutch control right then that could be concerning but other than that the road knowledge, manoeuvres and general driving confidence comes with time and patience :smile:

Maybe try getting provisional insurance and learn with a parent alongside an instructor.

Thanks for the reassurance and my main problem is the steering.

I either oversteer or don't steer enough.
Original post by polysci
I took 50 lessons and 3 tests to get a driving license. I now have 3 driving licenses (different countries) and can drive armored 4x4s through mountainous and desert terrain. You'll get there in the end.

Out of interest, 50 lessons worth how many hours?
Reply 11
50 hours.
Most likely you're looking to close to the vehicle - your hands follow your eyes - look as far down the road as you can.

Don't worry, 10 lessons is nothing. The DVSA recommend 40-45 hours with an instructor and 20 hours private practice. It took me 10 lessons just to get off little side streets and onto proper roads. Going through more than one instructor is also pretty common, my first instructor did nothing but belittle me and question my mental health(no joke). Just don't give up and you'll get there eventually. :smile:
Original post by HistoryDave
Don't worry, 10 lessons is nothing. The DVSA recommend 40-45 hours with an instructor and 20 hours private practice. It took me 10 lessons just to get off little side streets and onto proper roads. Going through more than one instructor is also pretty common, my first instructor did nothing but belittle me and question my mental health(no joke). Just don't give up and you'll get there eventually. :smile:

thanks for the encouragement.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending