The Student Room Group

Why should I study German?

I am currently doing German A level and am thinking about taking it further. I am unsure about whether I want to study it or not. If I studied it, I would also do English (a joint school/combined course sort of thing). The year abroad really entices me, but I remain unconvinced. Hilfe!
Reply 1
Original post by coldbluehorse
I am currently doing German A level and am thinking about taking it further. I am unsure about whether I want to study it or not. If I studied it, I would also do English (a joint school/combined course sort of thing). The year abroad really entices me, but I remain unconvinced. Hilfe!

Hi, I also currently study German at A-Level and am dead set on doing it as well as French at university. I can't tell you that you will definitely enjoy a German degree because that all depends on your interests but remember when you study a language it isn't just the language you study but all about the country which for me is really interesting and will change your perspective. Learning a language which is the largest spoken language in 3 countries in central Europe (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) will also make you very employable and make travelling to Germany a much better and easier experience.
Original post by langnerd
Hi, I also currently study German at A-Level and am dead set on doing it as well as French at university. I can't tell you that you will definitely enjoy a German degree because that all depends on your interests but remember when you study a language it isn't just the language you study but all about the country which for me is really interesting and will change your perspective. Learning a language which is the largest spoken language in 3 countries in central Europe (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) will also make you very employable and make travelling to Germany a much better and easier experience.

It would definitely make me more employable you're right! I just worry that I would get bored or frustrated halfway through the degree...
Reply 3
It would definitely make me more employable you're right! I just worry that I would get bored or frustrated halfway through the degree...

The best way to deal with that issue would be to look at in detail course details including module titles for German degrees at the universities that you are interested in and see if those modules interest you. The other thing to remember is that if you were to do a joint honours with English there may be the possibility of dropping the German at points in your degree if you are not enjoying it but that is something you would have to ask the specific universities

What is it that makes you think you would get bored halfway through?

Not taking a dig, I'm curious so I can try and help you out and decide if it's right for you.
Cheers @langnerd that's super helpful! @pizzanomics I am not sure, I just feel like I might get tired of the course material... I need to do some research! Thank you for your question, it gave me the impetus to do something :smile:
Cheers @langnerd that's super helpful! @pizzanomics I am not sure, I just feel like I might get tired of the course material... I need to do some research! Thank you for your question, it gave me the impetus to do something :smile:

Are you not worried about getting bored if you were to do another course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending