Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by DicksOut4Haraam
Not an argument.

Yes, it's a remark.
Original post by Josb
Yes, it's a remark.

Then why make that comment?

The state does something and has been doing it for a long time doesn't justify that act to begin with, it's completely circular.
Bunch of authoritarians.

Original post by Josb
Britain First is glad to know that TSR support their right to wear what they want against the oppression of the British government.
I do. Although it is not the same. A burka wearing women is an oppressed victim. A brown shirt is a fascist actavist. Still, people can wear Nazi uniforms if they so wish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 183
Then why make that comment?

The state does something and has been doing it for a long time doesn't justify that act to begin with, it's completely circular.

I said that because it seems that most TSR users think that banning clothes would be something new and, for some, the road to authoritarianism.
Original post by Josb
To everybody claiming that people are free to wear what they want, etc., do you know that the Public Order Act of 1936 is still in use? It bans the use of "political uniform" in "any public place": http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Edw8and1Geo6/1/6/contents

This act was voted to fight the British Union of Fascists whose supporters wore black shirts. Paul Golding, the leader of Britain First, was indeed fined for wearing a political uniform last year: http://www.essexlive.news/britain-leader-paul-golding-guilty/story-25808029-detail/story.html

Britain First is glad to know that TSR support their right to wear what they want against the oppression of the British government.

This act could be used against the burqa as it is advocated by the Shariah, which is a kind of political code.

I don't think you could; the court doesn't engage in interpretation of religious texts. You'd be laughed out of the court for attempting to argue a case by reading out and interpreting passages from the Qur'an.
Reply 185
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Bunch of authoritarians.

Did you see my comment above? British Fascists were prevented from wearing their black shirts or more recently, the leader of Britain First was fined for his jacket.
Original post by Josb
I said that because it seems that most TSR users think that banning clothes would be something new and, for some, the road to authoritarianism.

It's not on the road to authoritarianism, it is authoritarian. The French talk about freedom from religion, I want freedom from the state.
Original post by Josb
Did you see my comment above? British Fascists were prevented from wearing their black shirts or more recently, the leader of Britain First was fined for his jacket.

So long as they aren't attacking Jewish businesses or in the case of BF, Muslims, they should be allowed to wear whatever pathetic uniform they so choose if it makes them feel like big men.
Original post by Josb

Did you see my edit?

Leader of Britain First can wear his stupid jacket.

Although it is not the same. A burka wearing women is an oppressed victim. A brown shirt is a fascist activist. Still, people can wear Nazi uniforms if they so wish. I bet France has made it so oppressed Muslim women can no longer go to the beach. Great job in liberating women you bunch of victim blaming numnuts :top:

The French talk about freedom from religion, I want freedom from the state.
This. ****ing this. France can shove its state religion back up its *********.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't think you could; the court doesn't engage in interpretation of religious texts. You'd be laughed out of the court for attempting to argue a case by reading out and interpreting passages from the Qur'an.

The Quran doesn't mention the burqa/niqab, it would be difficult to read passages about these clothes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 190
It's not on the road to authoritarianism, it is authoritarian. The French talk about freedom from religion, I want freedom from the state.

Any law is authoritarian then.

The French don't talk that much about "freedom from religion", the point is to remove the symbols of extremist ideologies from public places.

Although it is not the same. A burka wearing women is an oppressed victim.

I dislike this argument that every woman wearing a burqa is a victim, if it's her choice, she's not a victim and if she's being prevented from wearing her burqa, it's the government who are acting like authoritarian bullies not Muslims.

A brown shirt is a fascist activist.

It's perfectly possible for fascists to also be victims. The reason we are taught to hate fascists is because they are racist authoritarians, except for hundreds of years the leaders of Britain were a load of racist authoritarians themselves. It's completely ridiculous that Churchill is some sort of left wing hero in contrast to Oswald Mosley even though both held views the modern world would consider contemptible, yet one belonged to the school of political thought which won out in the end so we have created a false history around him to reconcile the dissonance

Still, people can wear Nazi uniforms if they so wish. I bet France has made it so oppressed Muslim women can no longer go to the beach. Great job in liberating women :top:

Islamic State are probably happy that the burqini is banned ironically, they are obviously not going to want women out having fun like normal people.
Reply 192
Did you see my edit?

Leader of Britain First can wear his stupid jacket.

Although it is not the same. A burka wearing women is an oppressed victim. A brown shirt is a fascist activist. Still, people can wear Nazi uniforms if they so wish.

"An oppressed victim"? Many insist that it is their choice. They are radical activists like the fascists.

I bet France has made it so oppressed Muslim women can no longer go to the beach. Great job in liberating women you bunch of victim blaming numnuts :top:

Not every Muslim woman wears a burkini - a few dozens actually.

This. ****ing this. France can shove its state religion back up its *********.

There is no state religion in France.
Original post by Josb
Any law is authoritarian then.

Nope. Laws should be build up upon a system of axiomatic natural rights where they are created to prevent individuals inhibiting the rights of others, not based on the result of asking a load of daily mail reading boomers, what they like and don't like and guessing from there.

Original post by Josb

The French don't talk that much about "freedom from religion", the point is to remove the symbols of extremist ideologies from public places.

What makes a burka a symbol of extremism, how many burka wearing women have killed french people?
Original post by Josb
The Quran doesn't mention the burqa/niqab, it would be difficult to read passages about these clothes.

I'm aware of that, which is why the case would probably be even weaker.

I'm sure even you recognise the difference between political uniforms (which will certainly be worn in public during election times) and religious clothing that is "kind of" political.
Original post by Josb

If the Qur'an doesn't mention the burqa or niqab, how have they been able to define it as a symbol of religious extremism? I'm not a Muslim, presumably that means I would be allowed to wear it since they would not suspect there is religious motivation. Those burkinis looks very much like wetsuits, I would get away with wearing one much more than a brown woman I'm sure.

The whole thing is a mess of hypocrisy, inconsistency and pandering to the worst feelings in people.
Original post by Josb

It is made compulsory by the vilest regime on earth.

As is paying taxes. Are taxes, therefore, also a symbol of extremism?
Original post by Josb
By your logic, any law regarding social welfare or regulating the economy shouldn't exist. Only extreme libertarians hold such views.

*sips coffee*

I respect everyone, even the brown people.

In reality my libertarian views only really stretch to social issues since it's obvious that the government can maximise economic prosperity in a measurable and definite way

Original post by Josb

It was a representative poll by Yougov. The Daily Mail has nothing to do with it. But I would like a real vote on the question, the electorate is not only made of "Daily Mail reading boomers", you know.

Guardian reading pussies are just as bad.

Original post by Josb

It is made compulsory by the vilest regime on earth.

I don't want to ban the burqa because women that wear it kill people, but because of its meaning.

What meaning? Some girls are just more comfortable wearing it, leave them alone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JRKinder
I agree with everything you've written 100%. In principle I would support a ban (definitely in places in need of high security, such as airports or banks) and because it's a symbol of oppression, but at the same time I struggle with the fact that it's breaching basic liberty to wear what you like. Whilst I'm sure many women have no choice in the matter, I'm sure some out there probably do actually choose to wear it (sad, but no less a choice) so it's a difficult one. I think if it came down to it I probably would be in favour of banning it, but tentatively due to these reservations.

To say that we can wear what we want is a nonsense. There are norms here and we can't really break them. Nobody else can cover their face, so I don't know why some people should receive special treatment.
Reply 199
Original post by lawyer3c
As is paying taxes. Are taxes, therefore, also a symbol of extremism?

:rolleyes:
Taxes are compulsory everywhere, not only in the IS or KSA.

If the Qur'an doesn't mention the burqa or niqab, how have they been able to define it as a symbol of religious extremism? .

Because some people have added texts to the Quran for political purpose; they then claim it's religious to get approval without discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending