The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone please tell me whether you have to get a certain score in each section of the UKCAT, or whether it is the total score you get overall (from scores in all sections added together or whatever they do) that matters? I have mine in 3 weeks and im panicking about the QR section, im ok in all other sections but no matter how much i study i dont think i will do very well in this section. Im hoping its the total score that matters not score from each section, but i cant seem to find info about this anywhere online
Reply 3661
Hello,
I did my ukcat yesterday and got:
VR- 640
QA- 680
AR- 750
Average- 690
SJT- Band 1
My stats are:
S4; AAAAAAA ( National 5 Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Modern Studies, German, Acoounting) and a B in National 5 English
S5: AAAAB ( Higher Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and a B in Higher Modern Studies)
S6: AAA ( Advanced Higher Chemistry, Advanced Higher Biology, Higher Psychology
4 weeks of work experience.
First Aider
1 year volunteering at children's charity.
Gold d of e award etc
Any advice of which universities I should apply to with these stats. I was thinking Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Liverpool. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 3662
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student currently studying Biomedical Sciences at York. I'm looking to applying for the 5 year undergraduate medicine course this October (there are very few graduate programmes with places for international students). I'm hoping that someone in a similar position as me would be able to suggest what medical schools to avoid with my UKCAT score - as my VR score is very low and also what medical schools I should apply to. I've also included a brief summary of my academic background below.

UKCAT - Average 740
VR 480 (Yes I know this is terrible, I don't know what happened I just weren't taking anything in from the passages on the day I guess - I was averaging 600s in mocks)
QR 850
AR 890
SJT Band 1

GCSEs - 5A* 6A 4B
A Level - AABA (B in Chemistry; one of the As is in Chinese which I doubt will count towards my application) + AS Level B in Economics
BSc Biomedical Sciences: Averaging 2:1 at the moment but should graduate with a first class degree, if not a high 2:1
Work Experience: I've volunteered in various departments in different hospitals over the last 4 summers, taught English to underprivileged children in Hong Kong, also a volunteer for a listening/counselling service.

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathsmad123
I sat the UKCAT last year. I think that 600 book is BS for QR its WAY easier in actual exam, same can be said about AR tbh. Verbal is harder in the exam than the book.

Medify is golden.....id say its pretty representative!

How accurate were the Medify Mocks? I'm struggling with VR and QR, and I was wondering how long the VR passages are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else find that the AR patterns in the 1000q book are impossible to find after #70?? I swear like most of the patterns have 5 different characteristics lol, completely done with this book now. I've probably gotten like 4 questions right between 70-100 and they were all guesses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3665
Hey guys I did the KAPLAN course and they give you loads of practise tests and atm im averaging at 1800 with my test on the 13th September but I also bought the 1000 UKCAT questions book and these questions are so much harder than the ones on kaplan. Which one is closer to the real thing if anyone has done both and has already done the test? Thanks so much
how did people find medify mock 1? VR and AR were quite decent but I always seem to find QR has a lot of questions where many calculations are needed without the opportunity to estimate - like 2, 8 digit averages leading into a percentage change. is this what can be expected for the real exam?

thanks
Reply 3667
Original post by mithi98
Hi everyone! My exam is next week :frown: I was wondering how easier/harder is the real thing than the official mocks that are on the UKCAT website? and what about the Kaplan mocks? I'm getting around 700 on the official ones and 750 on the Kaplan ones...

Thanks in advance!

How many weeks did you revise for?
HI Guys! Has anyone done medify mock 2?
Original post by michaela__
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472812454.513202.jpg
Hope this helps :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot
Anyone know if UKCAT ninja is good to use? Is it representative to the real thing?
Original post by zoemccarthy34
Hey guys I did the KAPLAN course and they give you loads of practise tests and atm im averaging at 1800 with my test on the 13th September but I also bought the 1000 UKCAT questions book and these questions are so much harder than the ones on kaplan. Which one is closer to the real thing if anyone has done both and has already done the test? Thanks so much

The book is nothing like the real thing, personally. I took mine last year and the patterns were way easier there than in that book. I remember because I'd struggle to find patterns, so don't worry c:
Original post by 4nonymous
Anyone know if UKCAT ninja is good to use? Is it representative to the real thing?

I did some abstract reasoning Qs on it, and the difficulty was similar to medify ones
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ib_hopeful
How did it go? :smile:

Well, despite all my worries, having done the test yesterday I am very pleased with my result: TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2 VR-740 QR-720 AR-650 Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.

Hope you did well too, IbHopeful!!!!!!
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Well, despite all my worries, having done the test yesterday I am very pleased with my result: TOTAL: 2110 703.33 Average- Band 2 VR-740 QR-720 AR-650 Could anyone give me any advice for good unis to apply to in 2017? I would say that I definitely found medify mocks and official UKCAT mocks more difficult than the real thing. Provided you have practiced it should be fine. The thing I cannot stress enough is FLAG, GUESS, MOVE ON. Getting bogged down in the first few questions of a section only leads downhill. If you run into a challenging question, guess and flag it for the end.

Hope you did well too, IbHopeful!!!!!!

Congrats, great score. Would you say the VR in the exam was of similar difficulty to VR on medify/ukcat website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Congrats, great score. Would you say the VR in the exam was of similar difficulty to VR on medify/ukcat website?
I think possibly I found the passages a little easier to scan read than on medify. Although I definitely used my time better in the real exam. Flagging and guessing is a good technique when you are unsure.
Top tips after i sat the exam:

1) I panicked for 10 minutes at the start of verbal reasoning - mainly down to nerves. This might of been because i arrived early, thinking i could just wait in reception for a little bit to calm myself down. However, i ended up being dragged in 30 minutes early - this threw me quite a bit. So first of all, make sure you mentally prepare yourself for the exam (Do some vr practice right before etc). Stay calm, you'll do great. Don't go in till you're ready.
2) For verbal reasoning, the questions weren't as hard as the ones on the mocks. However, the passages were slightly longer. Make sure you practice skim reading! If you see a passage looks long/complicated and the questions look hard immediately flag and move on - you can come back to it later!
3) The data is quantitative reasoning is much more simple and easier to understand than those found in the mocks or on medify. The only thing is that the calculations often involve multiple steps. Make sure you use the numpad to operate the keyboard to speed yourself up!
4) Alt+C to open the calculator. Ctrl+N for Next Questions. Ctrl+P for previous questions. Ctrl+F to flag. These speed things up a heck of a lot! You can easily gain an extra 30 seconds on each section just by using these!
5) For abstract reasoning, practice makes perfect. Some patterns are very simple, and some are more complicated. I recommend you write down any patterns you missed during practice and read them out once a day.
6) Some mouses at the exam centres can be 'sticky'. If they are, just pick it up and wipe the bottom with your hand - should make the mouse much more accurate.
7) Remember, TSR is in no way representative of the rest of the country. Don't be demoralised by the +700 scores. Only the top 15% of candidates get scores these high - getting an average score is good enough for most unis (Apart from the UKCAT heavy ones - of which there are about 7-8).
8) I'm not sure if all pearson centres are the same, but you are essentially sitting in a room full of about 10-15 computers divided by panels. It isn't like being in a box, but you can't see the person next to you. Earplugs and headphones are provided - there was a noisy AC unit at my centre, so i put the earplugs in.
9) The text in verbal reasoning is not a text document, but an image of the text. This means you can't highlight passages by left clicking and dragging over the text. If you were scan reading like this, stop now! Also, you can't zoom in using ctrl+><.

Good luck everyone, you'll do great! :biggrin:
what do u think the average will be this year? any guesses? want to know where i stand
Original post by HarrisonGCSE

1) I panicked for 10 minutes at the start of verbal reasoning - mainly down to nerves. This might of been because i arrived early, thinking i could just wait in reception for a little bit to calm myself down. However, i ended up being dragged in 30 minutes early - this threw me quite a bit. So first of all, make sure you mentally prepare yourself for the exam (Do some vr practice right before etc). Stay calm, you'll do great. Don't go in till you're ready.
2) For verbal reasoning, the questions weren't as hard as the ones on the mocks. However, the passages were slightly longer. Make sure you practice skim reading! If you see a passage looks long/complicated and the questions look hard immediately flag and move on - you can come back to it later!
3) The data is quantitative reasoning is much more simple and easier to understand than those found in the mocks or on medify. The only thing is that the calculations often involve multiple steps. Make sure you use the numpad to operate the keyboard to speed yourself up!
4) Alt+C to open the calculator. Ctrl+N for Next Questions. Ctrl+P for previous questions. Ctrl+F to flag. These speed things up a heck of a lot! You can easily gain an extra 30 seconds on each section just by using these!
5) For abstract reasoning, practice makes perfect. Some patterns are very simple, and some are more complicated. I recommend you write down any patterns you missed during practice and read them out once a day.
6) Some mouses at the exam centres can be 'sticky'. If they are, just pick it up and wipe the bottom with your hand - should make the mouse much more accurate.
7) Remember, TSR is in no way representative of the rest of the country. Don't be demoralised by the +700 scores. Only the top 15% of candidates get scores these high - getting an average score is good enough for most unis (Apart from the UKCAT heavy ones - of which there are about 7-8).
8) I'm not sure if all pearson centres are the same, but you are essentially sitting in a room full of about 10-15 computers divided by panels. It isn't like being in a box, but you can't see the person next to you. Earplugs and headphones are provided - there was a noisy AC unit at my centre, so i put the earplugs in.
9) The text in verbal reasoning is not a text document, but an image of the text. This means you can't highlight passages by left clicking and dragging over the text. If you were scan reading like this, stop now! Also, you can't zoom in using ctrl+><.

when you said use the numpad on the keyboard, do you have to enable it first by clicking numlock?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE

This is really helpful. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending