The Student Room Group

Do I need to do biology to be able to choose psychology at uni?

I've chosen Psychology at AS Level but do I need to choose biology along side that to be able to do psychology at uni?
Original post by xxJoker
I've chosen Psychology at AS Level but do I need to choose biology along side that to be able to do psychology at uni?

There are universities that dont require biology for it so you dont need it
Reply 2
Original post by xxJoker

It really depends, if psychology is the only science you choose then you need to make sure that your grade in psych is high enough to get in to your chosen uni.

I did Bio,Chem and psych and got into psychology at qmul even though my psych grade was my lowest grade. I assume that's because i had good grades in bio and chem. Where as my friend did not get in to psych at qmul because psych was her only science A-level and her lowest grade.

But it really depends on the uni and whether you like biology enough to do it at a-level.
Original post by xxJoker

The definative answer is no (you don't even need biology to study medicine at many universities). Sometimes you need 1 or 2 sciences, to apply, some universties also give lower offers to people with 2 sciences. It doesn't matter if you pick bio, chem or physics as that additional science.
Reply 4
Original post by xxJoker

As the poster above me has said; you definitely don't need to have studied biology at A Level to study psychology at university. If you did decide to study it, it may put you at an advantage though given there can be quite of biology in things like neuropsychology :smile:

The only thing uni's are specific about for psychology in their entry requirements is having GCSE maths to a grade A to C - this will depend on the university you apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest