The Student Room Group

Advice for year 11

I'm going into year 11 and I'm not exactly sure how to manage my time efficiently. I'm a bit worried that since I'm aiming for top-tier sixth forms that I may fall short and not receive a place at my ideal school. So do you guys have any tips on how I can utilize my time to ensure the best grades at GCSE?
Original post by Gulled Bulhan
I'm going into year 11 and I'm not exactly sure how to manage my time efficiently. I'm a bit worried that since I'm aiming for top-tier sixth forms that I may fall short and not receive a place at my ideal school. So do you guys have any tips on how I can utilize my time to ensure the best grades at GCSE?

Make a timetable and stick to it. If you're not a fan of timetables then make a list of things to do for the week and try to complete it before the week is over.

Don't waste time. That doesn't mean don't have a break from studying, but utilise your time effectively. :h:

Stay behind as much as possible. My school allowed us to stay up until 4.30pm in order to make notes and begin revision. Try not to get distracted and make a timetable and stick to it. Also, don't try to overload yourself with work otherwise you will stress yourself out and end up having a mental breakdown. An hour and a half to 2 hours of note making/revision per night should be enough if you're already a bright kid. Don't leave revision to the last minute and attend as many support sessions as you can.Good luck :smile:
There are so many threads made on this topic, just try checking them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

1) Redo any coursework you got a terrible grade on by stopping an hour after school this will help give you a foundation if you messed about in year 10 like I did :smile: . However if you did good no need to.

2) Buy CGP books in the subjects you want to do well in. You can get them from £3 used on Amazon.

3) Slide away from mates who don't really care about GCSEs / Smoke weed 24/7 as after results day you will most likely never speak to them ever again.

4) Watch youtube channels such as mrbruff or Christopher Thornton.

5) Relax. Too many people stress out causing them to be disorganised and get a lack of sleep, best thing to beat this is to probably take up a hobby.

6) Go open days they motivated me so much to do well, I mean my sixth form has a costa. :smile:

7) Get a good relationship with teacher, all teachers have favourites and will spend much more time helping you if your in their good books and may even help u cheat / be given extra time on coursework :wink: . My teacher even spent an hour in a 1 on 1 tutoring after school for me when meetings were cancelled.

8) Be able to ditch some of your freetime to stop 1 hour after school. Been taught by a teacher was always 10x more effective than revising on my own as I easily get distracted, So join all those nerdy after school classes.

These are my personal tips I hope they help. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Do all (or at least most) of your homework on the day it is set. For mocks and real exams make a revision timetable. If you really struggle with time management make a timetable for every day of the week and incorporate all you other activities ect into it. Most of all though enjoy, year 11 is a great experience.
Reply 6
This is probably slightly late, though here are some of my personal tips...

1) Coursework - If your coursework is currently unfinished, below the standard you expect or there any other issues with it, NOW is the time to get this sorted out, preferably before December. It is no fun playing catch up for the whole year (I had to finish my Science, Computing and English Controlled Assessments in April/May) This wasted some of my revision time.

2) Mock Exams - You need to take these SERIOUSLY, unlike how me and my best mates had done, and got Es and Ds in the mocks... Your school can certainly put more pressure on you if you underperform, but also knock your confidence. Luckily in my June 2016 exams I came out with 2 As, 1B, and 5Cs.

3) Attendance - I had to miss 3 WEEKS of school in March this year because of Flu, which also took a significant amount of my revision time, try to be in school as much as you can be.

4) Keep Active - Doing regular exercise can certainly relax you, which was a mistake I made during my GCSE year.... Try to avoid High Caffeine drinks.

5) Enjoy your last year at school, it is probably going to be one of your best memories, which is also a mistake I made.

6) Don't waste your time arguing with petty people. Life is too short, and besides, come June, you won't ever have to see that idiot again.

Hope that Helps

Ben

2016 GCSE Student.
Reply 7

These is good advice already here. It's easy to get overloaded with tips and then forget them all so here are what I think are the most important:

1) Past papers - this is after all how you will be assessed. Exam technique is crucial to exam success so do as many as you can. Furthermore, examiners are often lazy! Questions are often very similar year to year and particular question styles come up yearly. It's really helpful to get a feel for this.

2) CGP revision guides - simply the best and most concise out there from experience.

3) Use your holidays! Don't let the name fool you, easter is not a holiday for you. What students do in this time often has a huge impact on grades.

Resource wise I would recommend bookmarking the following:
getrevising.co.uk
studywise.co.uk/gcse-revision
bbc.co.uk/bitesize

Good Luck! (written by straight A/A* student)
(edited 7 years ago)
Most comments here will say the same kind of things about studying, so I'll offer some new advice:

1) Find different places to study. Whilst your bedroom is a quiet, convenient place to study, mix it up a bit sometimes! It'll help give a change of scenery and make the act of studying less of a chore, and more interesting.

2) It's healthy to have a day-off. Whilst I'm not saying forget everything and sleep all day, if you're feeling overworked and in need of a break, take one. Just go over like 5-minutes worth of notes and revise the bare minimum.

3) This one goes without saying, but organisation is key.

4) Pick up some form of exercise or meditation (yes, I know it sounds lame) - It'll help your mind stay sharp and healthy, as excercise helps combat depression and will help you sleep easier at night!

5) Find some alternative ways of revision. Reading from a book certainly helps, but becomes repetitive and unengaging. Find some alternative methods of revision to spice things up and keep it fresh! Being tested on flash cards, youtube videos, taking online "pop-quiz"s

6) Stay hydrated and well nourished. Eat before/after/during revision and keep a bottle of water nearby. Eating during revision will give your mind a break as you step away from revising to get those well-deserved carbs!

7) There is ALWAYS someone you can talk to. Whether it's your classmates currently going through their final year of GCSEs, or a person who has already completed theirs, there is always someone who knows what you're going through and can talk it through with you. A simple example would be all the wonderful people above who've taken time to give you a hand!

Don't be like me and procrastinate and leave revision to the last minute/ be so lazy you don't revise at all! :tongue: Best of luck!x:biggrin:
Also, ENJOY yr 11- it is your last year of school after all!:smile: I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs in my exams (2016). If you need subject specific advice, just PM me!:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amyjf
Do all (or at least most) of your homework on the day it is set. For mocks and real exams make a revision timetable. If you really struggle with time management make a timetable for every day of the week and incorporate all you other activities ect into it. Most of all though enjoy, year 11 is a great experience.

Yep I really loved yr 11!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by sunshine774
Yep I really loved yr 11!:smile:

Haha, looking through this thread a year later I can say the advice definitely helped :biggrin: I got 2A*s, 6 As and 2 Bs(potentially As after remarks)

Thanks for all the advice since i forgot to thank you xD

Year 11 has definitely been my favourite year in school so far :P
Haha, looking through this thread a year later I can say the advice definitely helped :biggrin: I got 2A*s, 6 As and 2 Bs(potentially As after remarks)

Thanks for all the advice since i forgot to thank you xD

Year 11 has definitely been my favourite year in school so far :P

Aww, thanks enjoy A levels (a LOT of work lol!) which ones are you doing? Well done they are amazing results, if you worked hard you should be proud and I'm sure you did!!!x:h::biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by sunshine774
Aww, thanks enjoy A levels (a LOT of work lol!) which ones are you doing? Well done they are amazing results, if you worked hard you should be proud and I'm sure you did!!!x:h::biggrin:

Thank you! I'm actually doing the International Baccalaureate (never going to get used to typing that ), I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and History at higher level. At standard I'm doing Spanish, Maths and English lit and lang.
Thank you! I'm actually doing the International Baccalaureate (never going to get used to typing that ), I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and History at higher level. At standard I'm doing Spanish, Maths and English lit and lang.

Ooh sounds good, I do A levels and I do Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Further Maths x:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest