The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by leinad2012
Well, that's a complete lie. Try harder Swirls :colonhash:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/73078/

:colonhash:
Reply 81
Reflecting on it now, I think we've had a really solid transfer window. I think it'll really begin to show if Perez does well, but overall I'd say we've really strengthened.

The only thing that'll **** us over is injuries, and it will inevitably happen
Reply 82
Original post by kimkarsd
wenger needs to play 442 this season.

No more, 4231 ********.

That formation is worse than the 1000's Stalin use to post.
Reply 83
In. These past 5 pages have me in tears

James.Carnell is literally the worst postet note ever.
wenger needs to play 442 this season.

You were doing so well until...

But then you pulled it back...

No more, 4231 ********.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You were doing so well until...

But then you pulled it back...

in every game he plays the same way, it's pretty evident he needs to ****ing change it.
Xhaka and Ozil in a two man midfield, prime Darren Fletcher would have an absolute field day.
Original post by SA-1
Reflecting on it now, I think we've had a really solid transfer window. I think it'll really begin to show if Perez does well, but overall I'd say we've really strengthened.

The only thing that'll **** us over is injuries, and it will inevitably happen

It hasn't been fantastic, mustafi good, xhaka decent, perez though... Even if he scored 17 goals last season, I still would have preferred a striker who scores that amount of goals CONSISTENTLY, it would have been nice to have bought a proven striker, such as maybe Lukaku or Lacazette (expensive I know) because Perez is in the same situatuon as that Giroud was in, just scored a tonne of goals in ligue 1 and we took a risk and bought him and he has been OK but anyway we'll see...
Reply 88
Original post by timster32
It hasn't been fantastic, mustafi good, xhaka decent, perez though... Even if he scored 17 goals last season, I still would have preferred a striker who scores that amount of goals CONSISTENTLY, it would have been nice to have bought a proven striker, such as maybe Lukaku or Lacazette (expensive I know) because Perez is in the same situatuon as that Giroud was in, just scored a tonne of goals in ligue 1 and we took a risk and bought him and he has been OK but anyway we'll see...

Xhaka is more than an "ok" signing, it's probably a much better signing than Mustafi, it just came so early that everyone's over it now.
Original post by AR_95
Xhaka is more than an "ok" signing, it's probably a much better signing than Mustafi, it just came so early that everyone's over it now.

He's an ok signing because 1) we didn't really need a midfielder and 2) he wasn't that good last season or at the Euros (I still rate Xhaka and think he'll be great.

We NEEDED a centre back so Mustafi was a good signing and he's played in more than one top league so he's probably more well-rounded than our other centre-backs.
Reply 90
He's an ok signing because 1) we didn't really need a midfielder and 2) he wasn't that good last season or at the Euros (I still rate Xhaka and think he'll be great.

We NEEDED a centre back so Mustafi was a good signing and he's played in more than one top league so he's probably more well-rounded than our other centre-backs.

We needed him more than you think. Essentially what we've missed these past few years is a replacement to fulfill Arteta's role for us, to better transition the ball around the midfield. Cazorla played that role last year and we were playing our best football in a long while, whilst he was fit. It's no coincidence that after Cazorla was injured that we ran into our bad form. He's also old and due for decline any point now. Xhaka is here for that role and it means our attack will benefit a lot more, when other creative/attacking players don't have to constantly drop back. Elneny's a bit blunt compared to Xhaka also.

Mustafi is a signing I'm also very happy with. But he's a mere upgrade on what we already have. Xhaka is something we've actually been missing.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1076039/Live/France-Ligue-1-2016-2017-Lyon-Caen

Except as your own site shows, both his goals against Caen were penalties, so only 4 from open play all against championship level teams. Try again Swirls :colonhash:
Original post by AR_95
We needed him more than you think. Essentially what we've missed these past few years is a replacement to fulfill Arteta's role for us, to better transition the ball around the midfield. Cazorla played that role last year and we were playing our best football in a long while, whilst he was fit. It's no coincidence that after Cazorla was injured that we ran into our bad form. He's also old and due for decline any point now. Xhaka is here for that role and it means our attack will benefit a lot more, when other creative/attacking players don't have to constantly drop back. Elneny's a bit blunt compared to Xhaka also.

Mustafi is a signing I'm also very happy with. But he's a mere upgrade on what we already have. Xhaka is something we've actually been missing.

I understand what you mean but thats why I think we need more of a box-to-box midfielder, Xhaka is good but we need more of a midfielder who can run from deep to compliment Coquelin or whoever and also get back to like you said, allow Ozil and the likes to not have to drop back. Xhaka is just a younger version of Cazorla and better than Elneny and if he was cheaper I would understand but 30mil? Why not get a younger version of Toure who can pass, run, not pick up as many cards as Xhaka does/will. Matuidi for example would fit this role, its just something different instead of the same techincally brilliant midfielders who have no physicality or a physically dominant player (coquelin) with not much technical ability. Basically, the midfielders, aside from Coquelin, are all pretty much the same.

Chambers- future, Holding-future, Mertesacker- liability, Paulsta- awful, Koscielny-solid (on his day). We needed another centre back, perhaps a little stronger and pacier like Zouma or something but he was the best short-term fix. Xhaka wasn't as essential as Mustafial in my opinion.
Reply 93
Original post by leinad2012
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1076039/Live/France-Ligue-1-2016-2017-Lyon-Caen

Except as your own site shows, both his goals against Caen were penalties, so only 4 from open play all against championship level teams. Try again Swirls :colonhash:

Pls they must have changed their website, before it used to show on the player page if it was a pen with a 'P' in it :frown:

Why did we desperately need a defender. 2nd best defence last season.
Original post by atom y humber
Why did we desperately need a defender. 2nd best defence last season.

I think the reason why is because the margins are so thin against the top sides and if we are solid against them then we resemble an old Arsenal side that is very hard to break down. Hence, its not desperate per se but very necessary.
Swirly get over lacazette already. The guy STILL can't even get into the French side over a guy playing in 'football' Mexico and their chairman wants over 50mmfor him.

A guy that scored 4 less goals than him went for 9m. Wenger's probably right. Even in his market lacazette shouldn't command more than 4m.
Reply 97
I understand what you mean but thats why I think we need more of a box-to-box midfielder, Xhaka is good but we need more of a midfielder who can run from deep to compliment Coquelin or whoever and also get back to like you said, allow Ozil and the likes to not have to drop back. Xhaka is just a younger version of Cazorla and better than Elneny and if he was cheaper I would understand but 30mil? Why not get a younger version of Toure who can pass, run, not pick up as many cards as Xhaka does/will.

Erm, Ramsey?

Having two B2B CDMs in a team with Özil is practically suicide in the PL. One holding and one B2B works a lot better.

Xhaka's role will essentially be to play as Coq did but be able to spread play from deep. It's basically a marriage between Coq & Arteta's ability. It'll mean that unlike last season, Ramsey can actually play box to box and concentrate on his attack, rather than having to come so deep to spread the ball.

If Ramsey is given the freedom to make runs from deep, he'll have a season like he did in 13/14.

It'll also mean that against teams that will try and shut down Özil, Xhaka and Ramsey can both have a lot more freedom.

Xhaka is one of our best buys, we've missed a proper CDM for years. He's going to develop into a beast in the middle of the park.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by atom y humber
Swirly get over lacazette already. The guy STILL can't even get into the French side over a guy playing in 'football' Mexico and their chairman wants over 50mmfor him.

A guy that scored 4 less goals than him went for 9m. Wenger's probably right. Even in his market lacazette shouldn't command more than 4m.

Lacazette doesn't get into the French side because he doesn't fit the way that France play and his relationship with Deschamps isn't good At Arsenal, he would be the best option to have up front because he has pace and can finish unlike Giroud and Walcott/welbeck who have only one of those two attributes. I think Perez could be a cheaper/ similar type of player to Lacazette but EPerez hasn't been consistently good whereas Lacazette has.
Original post by James.Carnell
I think the reason why is because the margins are so thin against the top sides and if we are solid against them then we resemble an old Arsenal side that is very hard to break down. Hence, its not desperate per se but very necessary.

Yh necessary but not desperate. Not over a midfielder and a striker. You're not really going to improve much on 36 these days. Maybe down to 30 using Spurs sans Newcastle game as a barometer.

Look at United who refused to attack and had the best keeper. They still conceded 35.

What we needed most was a striker/winger then a midfielder.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest