The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Full time work and Open Uni Degree?

Hi guys..
I'm currently working full time (45hours a week-36.5hrs/wk without breaks).. I've just registered onto the People, work and society access module, with hopes of doing the Bsc Psychology degree as a part time course.. Would it be manageable to do 60 credits a year (or more if I can manage) whilst I'm working these full time hours?
Original post by Cosette1997
Hi guys..
I'm currently working full time (45hours a week-36.5hrs/wk without breaks).. I've just registered onto the People, work and society access module, with hopes of doing the Bsc Psychology degree as a part time course.. Would it be manageable to do 60 credits a year (or more if I can manage) whilst I'm working these full time hours?

60 credits a week is about 16 hours studying a week on average, though you'd want to factor in more time when assignments are due, and to revise for exams if you have any. Plenty of people do manage 60 credits a year while working full-time, so it's definitely doable. I think it's actually the most common work-study combination.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I've done 60 credits (and sometimes a touch more) while working full time for the last five years or so, and it's totally doable. I mean, it obviously depends a bit on your other commitments, but it's certainly something a lot of people do. I worry when people are convinced they can do 120 credits on top of a full time job and it'll be a breeze, but it sounds like you're approaching things perfectly reasonably so I'm sure you'll be fine!
bearing in mind that level 2 & 3 are the ones that count towards your final degree score, so if you plan to do more than 60 at those levels, while full time working be prepared with time super time management.

Quick Reply

Latest