The Student Room Group

I'm having a nervous breakdown over my A-level choices

Bascially, my passion for the longest time has been space. So of course I wanted to go into astrophysics, but I gave up on that when I realized I would have to go maths, because I was always at a B/C grade for most my GCSE's.
Anyway, I got my results and I got an A in maths, and a A* in physics! But because I'm so scared to fail, I chose to do Bio, Chem and Geography A-Level instead. Now, I'm stressing out because I've already enrolled but I've realized that because I'm so scared to fail my A-levels I've went for the option I didn't want to do instead of what I want and can do.

TL;DR: Even though I got the grades to study what I wanted and I still believed I was too dumb to do it and now I'm regretting the choices I've picked.
Most sixth forms allow changes during the first few weeks. You should speak to them asap! Never doubt your capabilities! Good luck.
?? You've not even started A-levels yet? Email your head of sixth and ask for them to be changed. Also if you think chemistry is easy, you've another thing coming
You should be able to change your options. Most sixth forms and colleges should allow you to change before a certain date. Well done on your grades by the way! Study hard and you wont fail :tongue:
Original post by ew_its_nicola
Bascially, my passion for the longest time has been space. So of course I wanted to go into astrophysics, but I gave up on that when I realized I would have to go maths, because I was always at a B/C grade for most my GCSE's.
Anyway, I got my results and I got an A in maths, and a A* in physics! But because I'm so scared to fail, I chose to do Bio, Chem and Geography A-Level instead. Now, I'm stressing out because I've already enrolled but I've realized that because I'm so scared to fail my A-levels I've went for the option I didn't want to do instead of what I want and can do.

TL;DR: Even though I got the grades to study what I wanted and I still believed I was too dumb to do it and now I'm regretting the choices I've picked.

Don't worry Nicola!! You can still change your options. Just contact your head of sixth form and let her know so that she can sort it out for you. You should choose subjects which your are passionate about so go for maths and physics alongside geography. Best of luck in your A Levels and I'm sure you'll work hard and get those A's next year!! :biggrin:
Original post by abrack
?? You've not even started A-levels yet? Email your head of sixth and ask for them to be changed. Also if you think chemistry is easy, you've another thing coming

I heard it is one of the hardest ones but for some reason I thought I would be better at it...I don't even know
Original post by Workangel_24
Don't worry Nicola!! You can still change your options. Just contact your head of sixth form and let her know so that she can sort it out for you. You should choose subjects which your are passionate about so go for maths and physics alongside geography. Best of luck in your A Levels and I'm sure you'll work hard and get those A's next year!! :biggrin:

Thanks, that's really sweet! Yeah I think I'll send them an e-mail or something today!
Ring up your college to change your options, I did with mine! :smile:
Also don't underestimate the difficulty of biology and chemistry at A level. The sciences no matter what are tough!
Reply 8
You're clearly better at maths and physics so do those. They're not that hard.
Reply 9
Most Sixth forms allow you to change, there were people coming in and out of classes till January at mine and in March one guy joined the Biology course. In March. If you can't change, work really hard by yourself and when mocks come, ask to sit that paper and they should move you
Change them to what you want. A levels require so much effort you have to love what you're doing to get anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest